Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#162396 04/07/04 03:25 AM
OP Offline
Ok gang, here it is. Believe it or not I got a call from someone and said that because of the conversation in the party thread and then all of a sudden I said I was going on a vacation for 1-3 weeks... they wanted to know if Ernie was referring to me with his followup...

Laugh... no, he wasn't (I hope he wasn't anyway)... But I guess now I owe a better explanation.

I've been keeping a little secret... 3 weeks ago I had a stroke.

A mild one but a stroke none the less. I arrived back in Houston on a Thursday from 3 weeks in Philly, and Friday morning is when I had it. They gave me one of those walker things to use but I balked and wouldn't use it, so they gave me one of those multi-legged canes. It's not bad and it does help me walking. I use it on the right side and my arm/hand/leg go numb and I usually fall to that side, or kind of drift to that side. However the other day I started to drift to the left side and fell a few times because dopey me didn't want people to stare at me using a walker, which would have balanced and guided me.

Anyway.... I have debated whether or not to even mention this on here. However today I go back to the VA Hospital to find out how they are going to do this operation to unclog my arteries... and when. If I have the operation, I doubt very much I will make it to the party... since I do not know when they will do it but I do know it will be sooner than later. if they decide not to operate and dissolve the blockage by medicine and injections, if it's not that severe, then there will be no recuperation (I think) and I will be free to attend the party.

My problem is myself... I am my own worst enemy. I am not comfortable using the cane or anything else for that fact... in public. But I think telling everyone now, kind of eliminates that "fear" of attending the party with a walker, etc. See what I mean? Even typing on here can be a slight problem since my fingers kind of type a word that they think it should be typed... laugh... it takes a while sometimes to re-read my post and then I correct my mistakes before I hit the "post" button.

Up to now only a few people on here know all this and they have been extremely supportive and very nice.

I hope I haven't bored y'all now... and you're dropping off to sleep.. laugh

I really am looking forward to the party and hope I can make it... I already know I won't make Kevin Black's concert on that Friday night. My 7 year old daughter is having a father/daughter dance and it's my first... wheeeeeee.... and that's on the same Friday night. I've already hired a stretch limo to pick me up and then go pick her up. It will be a fun night I hope. I just won't be doing any fast dancing that's for sure... laugh. But then again with shaking and fallen maybe people will think I am inventing a new dance step. laugh eek

That's it for now, I let y'all know the outcome of the doctor's visit today.... but hey! on the positive side I now can get one of those blue handicap signs for parking! laugh

#162397 04/07/04 06:46 AM
Sorry to hear you are going thru this, Denny. The walker or cane in public? I think I would feel the very same as you. Hurry up and get those arteries unclogged, and until then buy a padded suit! Gee Whiz, I would rather hear that you have absconded with all the funds than this. Best of luck, guy. The father/daughter dance sounds very cool. Family is everything, they get you through the roughest times. Keep us updated please.

#162398 04/07/04 06:59 AM
On second thought, dopey you, use a damn cane or walker, whatever is necessary to keep yourself upright and safe from injury. Nobody would think the less of you, folks are neat thataway. I know I would also have a hard time adapting, but if it helps, just do it. Maybe it's a guy thing? lol

#162399 04/07/04 07:38 AM
Denny Demny why did you go and do this, just kidding. Too bad you do not live close to me, I make the medical center durango run every weekday, you could come along.

Seriously, nothing should bother you, use the cane/walker, it could be a chick magnetic.
Men have a hard time using anything that changes their demeanor, just do it. We luv ya.

You are on the prayer list now, and here's knowing you will overcome.

Hey spend all the SPASC money, like you haven't already.

Dare To Deviate
#162400 04/07/04 07:48 AM
Denny, I have a red plastic thingie for my window, supposidly temporary. They keep renewing it.
I too have a continuing handicap. Many think that I am up and raring to go, just because I still work. My work is physically taxing, to say the least.
I had a cane, I should have used it. Let me share that piece of advice....use it.
Secondly, many of us are handicapped. Some more than others. You are not an 'other' !
Well wishes sent in your direction from one friendly message board chatter, to another smile

There are some cold people out there. Their hearts have been damaged by themselves. Yours is repairable, my friend...........Be well.
AND....tug up those darned 'BIBS', will ya laugh

Dance like you've never danced before, she will love you.........life is good smile Expand on it !

#162401 04/07/04 09:23 AM
Aw, Denny, I'm sorry to hear your news. Take care of yourself, for yourself and for your daughter.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#162402 04/07/04 10:15 AM
A speedy recovery to you Denny - smile

#162403 04/07/04 10:20 AM
KBG Offline
Denny,
If you are "hung up" on the look of a cane, go to an antique or junk shop and find a unique one that has "character" and use it. Anyone who goes to Belize has lots of character. KBG wink

#162404 04/07/04 11:35 AM
Hey Sweetie...sent you an E.....maybe someone could bring Paisano's cane for you!!! It has character!!!! And remember...NO PROBLEM, MON!!!!! Love ya!!! C

#162405 04/07/04 12:44 PM
denny mend quick , take care and I wish you all the best ..go live the dream 100 more years ,and enjoy ..

Living The Dream Every Day!
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.