Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Plane crash survivors sue travel companies #163884
05/24/04 09:50 AM
05/24/04 09:50 AM
Alabama, USA
KBG Offline

KBG  Offline
Ernie,
Still got a license or did they pull your ticket (like me) for some health or other reason. If you are going down to the island next month maybe I will see you there. KGB cool :p

Re: Plane crash survivors sue travel companies #163885
05/24/04 10:03 AM
05/24/04 10:03 AM
Illinois, Arkansas,South Dakot...
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
Good discussion (that is what this board is about) and good points made by all. The topic started with the impending law suit and some expressing views as to the merits of that. I am giving my reasons, based on my knowledge of flying and what I know about the incident, why I feel the parties have every right and possibly good reasons for bring a law suit. For me,this has no bearing on the qualifications of the pilots, assuming they meet the legal requirerments, or the type of flying done in Belize ie, IFR or VFR. It is a legal question ie, law suit. Was the law followed or broken? And if broken, what should the penalties be? Seems simple to me.

Re: Plane crash survivors sue travel companies #163886
05/24/04 10:38 AM
05/24/04 10:38 AM
South Texas
Chloe Offline
Chloe  Offline
I love those great pilots, they are super.

Dare To Deviate
Re: Plane crash survivors sue travel companies #163887
05/24/04 10:47 AM
05/24/04 10:47 AM
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
Just a hypothetical question to ponder and not meant to refer to any pilots in particular. But if a pilot put your life endanger by breaking the law and flew the aircraft into conditions causing it to crash, would you still consider him to be great and super? :rolleyes:

Re: Plane crash survivors sue travel companies #163888
05/24/04 11:02 AM
05/24/04 11:02 AM
Bellaire, Tx. and the World
Denny Shane Offline
Denny Shane  Offline
After thinking about my answer to your question bywarren, the following popped into my vacant mind... I would need to know if I was still alive after the crash? eek

Re: Plane crash survivors sue travel companies #163889
05/24/04 11:10 AM
05/24/04 11:10 AM
Alabama, USA
KBG Offline

KBG  Offline
bywarren
All good points, the pilots are put in a bad position, if they don't bend/brake rules there would be lots of delays, turn arounds and lack of delivery. I assume in this situation the pilot made a judgement call based on his experience and got caught in some unexpected weather condition and crashed. I think that the point that everyone is bothered about in US at least is frivilous lawsuits. Everyone walked away, most damage they could have had was mental trama. Hard to judge. Awards depend on the quality of the lawyer. If no one was injured should they sue or consider it part of going to Belize. KGB confused

Re: Plane crash survivors sue travel companies #163890
05/24/04 11:14 AM
05/24/04 11:14 AM
South Texas
Chloe Offline
Chloe  Offline
Answer is YES, because I knew the time of day I was boarding the plane, and it was my decision to fly then or not. And if I were in the last group of tourists flying to AC, I would climb aboard. But I am old, and don't worry much now.

Twilight could be a grey area of the law?

Dare To Deviate
Re: Plane crash survivors sue travel companies #163891
05/24/04 11:29 AM
05/24/04 11:29 AM
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
I will preface my remarks as I did earlier by saying that I would not sue if I were in that plane. But I will again say, that I cannot agree that this would fall under my definition of a frivilous law suit and I do not believe that the criteria to be met before someone files suit is they have to be killed or injured. There is a point of law called punative damages. Now I am not a lawyer and hesitate to comment on legal issues. I am just giving my opinion. But I am a pilot with a multi-engine, instrument rating and over 5000 hrs flying with 49 flights to Belize in my log book and I know what rules pilots are supposed to follow. And I know when pilots do not follow the rules, they open themselves up to suffering consequences.

Re: Plane crash survivors sue travel companies #163892
05/24/04 11:32 AM
05/24/04 11:32 AM
Beautiful San Marcos, Texas
E
Ernie B Offline
Ernie B  Offline
E
Hi KBG, missed you at the partee this year! I still have my ticket and since I had the Lens Implants I could (perhaps) still pass the phys. It has been almost 20 years since I was at the stick. I'm sure after a couple hours with an instructor I could again (perhaps) make a simple takeoff and landing in good weather. In the past (before GPS) We all have taken off VFR and had to file IFR when our destination closed. I did that long before I even held an instrument rating. Was that illegal? You bet, but there was no incident and that made everything OK. Thanks bywarren for reminding me about the new stuff, GPS. I guess I dated myself with the Steerman comment, there were other training aircraft available but not to a poor boy. You took the ride where you found it. In my case, I had to refill the chem tanks, pull the tree limbs out of the controls surfaces and wash the nasty gook off in return for lessons. I flew inverted, did loops long before I could drive a car (we didn't have one). Now back to the original question, was the cause of the accident pilot error? From what I have read, yes. Do they have a right to sue? Yes. Will they win big? I doubt it. How long will you be there by?

Gun Control is Hitting Your Target.
Re: Plane crash survivors sue travel companies #163893
05/24/04 11:37 AM
05/24/04 11:37 AM
bywarren Offline
bywarren  Offline
I will miss you Ernie, unless you come to Arkansas (open invitation). I am gone from AC for the summer.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 73 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics71,618
Posts481,538
Members19,668
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.