Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
spooky Offline OP
OP Offline
I know this has been asked umpteen times - but read very differing viewpoints , so naturally I am confused. Esp. worried about the looting....

We were planning to go for a day trip (drive a rental car) to Tikal from san Ignacio. Is it worth it, or what cheaper option do we have. We are going to be 4 adults. Is there a van service or something like that. Lan sluder - can you give me some advice?

Spooky

N
N
The rental agencies won't let you cross the border with a car.

Either your hotel can arrange a tour or you can contact Mayawalk Tours in San Ignacio and they can take you. You'll appreciate Tikal more with a guide anyway since they can explain the ruins.

M
M
Some travel agencies will allow the vehicle to cross the border (Crystal), but can not offer insurance coverage. So you break it, you bought it. I'm much more concerned about that than crime when taking my vehicle into Guatemala.

Maya Travel Services
M
M
Some rental agencies will allow the vehicle to cross the border (Crystal), but can not offer insurance coverage. So you break it, you bought it. I'm much more concerned about that than crime when taking my vehicle into Guatemala.

Maya Travel Services
M
M
Whether or not you can get a rental car over, you will not have time to really see Tikal in one day if you drive yourself. If you hook up with a driver, you will still have little time, but at least you won't have to worry about taking a wrong turn. Tikal is a big place. Give yourself a couple days, and try to stay close to the site, if you can. So nice to wake up right outside of it, before everyone gets there. If it has to be a one day trip, better to fly, and get in as early as you can. It gets really hot, and there is much to see. Read up on it first so you know what is important to you to see.

With a group of four, I'd barter with one of the van drivers on the other side of the border. Pick a clean cut driver with a good vehicle would be my advise. Taxi's back to the border can also be arranged rather easily. They love return fares. Don't worry about crime. It won't hep!! PS. Tikal is one of the great experiences of my lifetime. Wear good walking/climbing shoes is my best advise, and drink plenty of bottled water.

Gone fishing!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.