Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Isla Margarita #165864
07/30/04 06:27 PM
07/30/04 06:27 PM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
Rarotonga is really nice. Quite beautiful. Muri Beach is the best area. There's all different kinds of acco. I can recommend a place and warn you off of another, if you'd like.

The snorkelling is incredible.

The nightlife isn't what we are used to in San Pedro, but it can be found. Once found, it's more difficult to get to and from than in San Pedro, as well. I didn't find the food all that, though there were two restaurants that we did particularly enjoy, unfortunately, the prices were a bit outrageous.

During the day, it is quite easy to get around by bus. The main road circles the island and you can catch the bus going either way. It's a great way to tour the island too.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Re: Isla Margarita #165865
08/06/04 08:21 AM
08/06/04 08:21 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
I've been to Isla Margarita a few times - in fact I returned from Margarita a couple of days ago.
The geography is absolutely stunning, and the beaches are generally picture perfect.
The dollar goes really far - I stayed in a lovely posada with AC, kitchen, pool & jacuzzi ......... for $20 a day.
On the down side ......... trash along roadsides and some street crime.
If you want a wacky fabulous trip to this area I suggest that you go to Margarita, rent a car and drive out to the Macanao section of Margarita island(western part of the island) - it looks like Arizona with mountains and red earth (really beautiful) - but the mountains plunge down to warm Caribbean seas, framing crecent beaches (most of which will be totally empty). There is a spa out there that is very clean, simple and a bit on the wacky artistic side - it's miles from anywhere and has what just might be the and massage treatment pavillion on the hillside overlooking the sea ......very rustic accommodations, but generally adorable and probably having 5 rooms max. Cost per person per day for room (double occ), three meals, massage and mud bath - 120,000 Bolivares (which on the black market is $45 USD. I can't find the brochure on it just now to give you the e-mail address, but I believe they have a website so you can probably search it out.
My favorite fishing-village beach is Manzanillo, with Zaragosa (Pedro Gonzalez beach) and Playa de Caribe following. Playa del Agua is popular and to my mind the best place to stay in that area is Costa Linda (lovely upscale single story compound with excellent food, pool, snuggly nooks and nice rooms. <www.hotelcostalinda.com>
The island of Los Roques is reputed to be sandy streets, few people and great snorkeling (sounds like San Pedro)....... people rave about it.
If you go to Margarita, rent a car so you can explore. You don't need to reserve one - there is a rental-car place with about 12 agencies competing for your business, located just outside the Porlamar (margarita) airport.
Give them your credit card for a guarantee, but pay in cash (Bolivares) as you will have negotiated a huge benefit in the exchange rate that away. Last week the official rate was 1,900 Bs to 1 US; but you could get 2,500 Bs for a dollar from just about anybody wandering around the Caracas airport.
Fly to Caracas, then walk about 1/4 (don't take the bus or taxi) to the National terminal where you pick up Aeropostal to Margarita.
When you go to Los Roques you will take a boat from Margarita.
Oh by the way - gasoline costs almost nothing - I filled up the tank of a mid-sized rental car for one dollar US.
Other suggestions of interest - I have friends who were recently raving about an out of the way place called Little Corn Island off the coast of Nicaragua. population 700, two places to stay, lots of diving and snorkeling.
All that being said - I like Belize better. But when you live here, you need a break from perfection and a change of scene too. So..... when I go away I like Margarita for that - it's beautiful, gritty, exciting and a good chance to learn spanish.

Re: Isla Margarita #165866
08/06/04 08:26 AM
08/06/04 08:26 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
An oops - somehow a part of my post is missing - the spa in Macanao......insert this - "has what may be one of the most beautiful beaches on earth"...........

Re: Isla Margarita #165867
08/06/04 10:18 AM
08/06/04 10:18 AM
San Jose, CA USA
Gela Offline
Gela  Offline
OK Laurie - I was at Club Med Moorea in 1982 and was there just after you in July - for Bastille Day celebrations. Which were very interesting - the parade consisted of beautiful Polynesian Women dressed in their native garb - and were topless eek Sounds like you had a more colorful time than I did - all I did was take a day trip on horseback up into the Pineapple Hills. I couldn't walk for three days after that! My butt hurts just thinking about it.

Roratonga is high on my list now. With perhaps a stop off in Tahiti or New Zealand. Next year. Wanna come?

So now, I have just 6 days to figure out what little to pack for AC - I'm very ready for the adventure!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Re: Isla Margarita #165868
08/06/04 12:07 PM
08/06/04 12:07 PM
Georgia USA
f095 Offline OP

f095  Offline OP
Thanks Diane, that is great information!!
Flora

Re: Isla Margarita #165869
08/08/04 04:55 AM
08/08/04 04:55 AM
Maui, Hawaii USA
denverdan Offline
denverdan  Offline
WOW Diane, that was good info, thanks a bunch!

Laurie, I'm available anytime your on Island! I'll call 007 and see if he's available too iffin ya want. wink I never did get that picture of you two from you.

Gela, if Ms. Vicki doesn't call me soon we will be heading that way! It is much closer don't ya know... hehe
but I'd much rather be on AC!!! wink

Re: Isla Margarita #165870
08/23/04 10:48 PM
08/23/04 10:48 PM
Roseburg, Oregon, USA
K
kailani Offline

kailani  Offline
K
I took my family to Margarita by boat on an extended sailing trip. We were there for six weeks and enjoyed it a lot.

We took a trip to Angel Falls by plane and spent a day in the beautiful park deep in the heart of the Venezuelan jungle. It is well worth the time and money.

Los Roques is great for bird watching, fishing and diving and general water/beach activities.

There are several other small islands in the area that you can reach by boat in a day trip that have great beaches, diving, snorkling and other fun activities.

Margarita is a vacation destination for many Venezuelans, and therefore has a lot to offer in recreational activities.

There is a samll, deserted (except for five or six Venezuelan Coast Guardsmen) called Blanquilla that is awesome for diving, and just hanging out. We spent several days there and really enjoyed it. The water was warm, blue and clear with abundant fish and other water critters.

I would go back.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
May
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (bobcat bill), 168 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,268
Posts487,886
Members19,869
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.