Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16605 05/16/03 09:59 PM
OP Offline
Hola!

We're going to Belize at the end of June this year for about 9 days and not sure where to stay.

We'd like to be able to get to San Pedro and back when we want to, but not be right there.

Could anyone give us an idea of how hard is it to get from San Pedro to CC or other parts of AC late at night if we stay at the bars for a bit?

What's the best way to get back and forth, water taxi or asking people for a ride for some cash?

Anything else we should consider?

I can do anything, I just can't do everything...
#16606 05/17/03 02:06 AM
Stay at the Holiday, you will love it, they are right in the middle of town. On the beach, very lovely!!! You can call Hillyboo, (who does all kinds of fishing tours), can help you go back and forth to CC. Plus you can fish, when going!! Look him up!!
Hope this helps, Rick

#16607 05/17/03 01:27 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info Rick.

The Holiday looks nice, and with lots of stuff to do ( http://www.sanpedroholiday.com/index.html ) but maybe a bit too much like a hotel for me. I'd like a little more privacy than all the people that would be staying at a place like that. I'd like to be able to hang out at the beach at night and not have people 20 feet away doing the same thing, or hearing kids screaming in the next room. A rental home or cabana would be nice. I've seen a few private homes for about $50-$150/night but the beachfront ones I've found so far are booked. There's a couple on Back Back Back street but I don't think we'd get much of a view from there.

These reasons are why I was considering CC but just don't want to get stranded on AC if we stay out too late in San Pedro.

#16608 05/18/03 11:13 AM
I'm a little confused: You want to stay on Caye Caulker but go back and forth to San Pedro?

During the day, that's no problem because the scheduled water taxis run back and forth, though the cost would add up. But after dark it would be more difficult and expensive. Caulker village is maybe 10 or 11 miles from San Pedro, a good way on a dark night in a small open boat.

If you want to spend time on both islands, I think it would be better to split your time -- stay on each island for a few days.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#16609 05/18/03 03:32 PM
OP Offline
I guess we were just considering CC because it's more quiet overall and we're not sure how hard it's going to be to get a quiet place on AC with air conditioning within walking distance to San Pedro.

Our priorities are 'kind of' in this order:

1) Air conditioning
2) Quiet
3) Convenient to get into San Pedro and back after the bars close
4) On the beach

If it's going to strand us then we'll stay near San Pedro on AC at first. One problem is that we don't know if it is necessary to schedule a room in advance or just find one when we get there. Same goes for the rest of the week.

Do we need to find something in advance for all week or is it most likely that there will be rooms open with air near SP when we get there and we can just find places that suit us during the week?

Thanks for the info Lan. We certainly don't mind splitting our time between CC and AC - or other places for that matter, but it comes up again whether we need to do that now or when we get there. I would imagine I could negotiate a better price if there were places with empty rooms and I were standing there with cash, but we'd be forced to camp if we attempted that and everything were full. I don't mind the camping but it's now my girlfriend's number one priority for sleeping.

It looks like we'll stay on AC, at least for the first few nights because it sounds too inconvenient for CC at first. When we get a few days of partying out of our system, we may move to CC.

#16610 05/18/03 04:15 PM
Caye Caulker is smaller, but I wouldn't say it's quieter, than Ambergris Caye. In fact, because most of the development on Caulker is concentrated in the village, whereas there are lightly developed or undeveloped parts of Ambergris (mostly North Ambergris) in some ways it is EASIER to find a quiet spot on Ambergris than on Caulker.

I think you may have a little of the wrong impression of Ambergris Caye. While there are a few hotels, mainly in town, that can be a bit noisy, there are plenty -- especially farther south from town or on North Ambergris -- that are very quiet and even isolated.

Nearly all hotels on Ambergris are on the beach and almost all except for a few budget rooms have A/C.

Only a few places on Caulker have air-conditioning. Though it's going upscale gradually, overall the island targets the budget and even backpacker travelers, who don't need or can't afford A/C.

In June, you should be able to find plenty of hotel space on either island without booking ahead; however, on a given night any hotel, especially the more popular ones and the ones that offer the best values, can be booked or have only more expensive rooms available. You might, or might not, get a deal as a walk-in.

If you're looking for peace and quiet, almost any of the dozen or so hotels on North Ambergris would fill the bill, and for that matter most of the hotels south of the river channel would as well. I've stayed in several of hotels right in the middle of town, like Mayan Princess, or at the south edge of town like SunBreeze and have never been bothered by noise ... though these hotels are pretty much in the heart of things. You might look at places just north of town, like The Tides, or a bit south of the airstrip, like Woody's Wharf, Coconuts, Coral Bay, Caribbean Villas or Xanadu that are within walking distance but not right in town.

On Caulker, for more peace and quiet you'd probably want to look south of the main public pier rather than at the hotels at the pier or those at the Split -- just walk to your left down the beach when you get off the water taxi and keep walking until you find something you like.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#16611 05/18/03 06:34 PM
OP Offline
Thank you Lan, much appreciated. You've given us some great info.

I think we'll start on AC and maybe do CC later in the week. I'm going to look at the places you listed and see what we like. I'm not too fond of places that look like the Mayan Princess, as nice as it may be.

Sounds like we'll either just book a room for the first night somewhere so we don't have to worry about it, or book for a few nights. Either way, we'll just wing it for the rest of the week. I'd hate to limit our choices just to what we can find on the internet.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 335 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.