Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#166225 08/23/04 11:47 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I have to start by saying the days before my vacation were not good. The death of a very close and special person in my life happened and I wasn't really in the mood for travel (even to my favorite destination). I almost cancelled the vacation, but at the urging of family and friends, I decided to go. Happy I made that decision because it turned out to be the best trip so far.

Hadn't been to San Pedro for almost two years, but had visited a few times before. Lots of changes - new places and new people. The night before I left, I went to the Van Hagar concert here in Sacramento. I had a hoarse voice, was semi-hungover, tired and a big blister on my foot from dancing. That, coupled with a 7 hour layover in Dallas, left me exhausted and disoriented. Not to worry - once I arrived on the island, I felt great! Funny how that happens.

Stopped in to see Jet and the "best rum punch in Belize", as he is fond of saying. Sat in the co-pilot's seat on the way over to the island. As usual, I left my luggage at Tropic Air and about ran across the road to BCs to taste a Belikin. Yes! Gela met me and we hung out for awhile. Missed Ernie this time, as he and his family were on vacation in Mexico. I hope they have a great time. Talked to Carlo and Helen at BCs, saw Charlene. Time to get to Caribe, my home for the next 7 nights.

All I can say is "Wow, oh wow". I loved the resort. Met Vicki, Butch, Chap, bartender Albert and several other great folks who work there. Checked into room #17 and was told that I had the whole second beachfront veranda to myself that week. Unbelizable. Quiet, private and beautiful view of beach and ocean. Gela and I ended up at the hotel bar and ate a great meal there. I had some seafood combo and rice which was delicious. After that, time to bring down Jose Cuervo from the room. He was itching to get out and about, so I shared some shots with several people at the bar. We had a good ole time there for awhile that night!

On Saturday a.m., VERY loud thunder woke me up early. I have never heard thunder like that! Poured down rain for a short time, then beautiful and sunny the rest of the day. Had another great breakfast at Caribe, swam, lied in the sun. This was livin'! After the much needed few hours of nothing, I headed to Crazy Canuck's. I love that place. Chris and Rick (bartenders) will knock your socks off with those rum punches they make. Geez, two of those babies and I was ready to rock and roll! Met Dr. Sam and that is when I started to sing Van Halen's "Somebody Call Me A Doctor!" That phrase was repeated througout the vacation for reasons that will remain nameless here!

Sam joined Gela and I on the Lady Sharon that evening for the sunset cruise. With Dennis Wolfe singing and doing his thing and Rodney (the owner, who is a kick in the pants), much fun and dancing took place. The meal of red snapper was also delicious. By the end of the "two hour tour", we had made up some type of crazy dance, which I think we called the Tropic Trot or something like that! Anyway, my face was hurting from laughing so hard. I think we straggled into BCs for more adult beverages after that.

I should have behaved myself because of Sunday's plans, but having too much fun. Anyway, Sunday rolled around and ready for BCs famous BBQ. Gela and I got there fairly early and ate until we were stuffed. Lobster, shrimp, some other type of fish. Then, I started on the One Barrel rum. Can't believe I never tried it before on my previous trips! Tasty stuff, it is, and I am not a huge rum drinker. Finally, Gela and I decided to get our butts of the barstools and walk into town to shop. Got some cool things and some earrings at Elisabeths place in Fidos. I always have to stop there!

Time to pick up a golf cart. We needed wheels to head to Hammock House later that evening for the jam session with Skinny, James, Sam, etc. During a brief stop back at Caribe, I met Lovey and Thurston (I believe!) at Butch's Bday party. Seemed like everybody was having a fun time there.

Headed up to Hammock House. I had never been there and thought it was a really neat place with a great view of the cut. While the band was playing, lightening was really cutting up the sky behind the band. It was quite beautiful. Hope my pics show it.

While driving the cart back into town, it seemed we started to veer a little much to the left or right (things get blurry at this point because the party lasted way too long and I had too much fun). Anywho, I know I started to sing "George of the Jungle - watch out for that tree" for some reason. Time for me to hit the hay, for sure.

Monday morning rolled around and it was definitely time to chill for a few hours. Swam off the dock at Caribe. Beautiful and refreshing water. Invited to a wonderful lunch at Peter's home. Man, that man can cook. I spilled red wine all over my spot at the table. Well, I was the kid who always spilled her milk while growing up. Some things never change. Didn't think I was so bad when it took two Brits to open a bottle of wine! Did some more shopping, stopped at BCs, followed by Crazy Canucks, then Mata Rocks bar. So much for chillin'! That evening we had dinner at Casa Picasso, which was really good. After those Kettle One martinis and delicious ceasar salad, pasta and desert, I could imbibe no more. I did make it back to Canucks to dance a few tunes to the Punta Boys.

Tuesday and time for Gela to go home. I got a golf cart and headed to Sweet Basil, one of my favorite indulgences. Had the fruit and cheese platter and got the tomato, feta and cumcumber salad to go. Drove up to Captain Morgan's and stopped at Palapa for a bit to sit out over the water. Nobody there. Very quiet and relaxing. Stopped at La Popular bakery to pick up some goodies for the room on the way back to town, then loaded up on things at the store. That night, I made a great dinner in my room and sat out on the veranda, looking at millions of stars and listening to the ocean.

Wednesday brought rain and wind on and off throughout the day, due to the remants of Earl. Fortunately, the storm broke apart and turned into a tropical wave. By mid afternoon, the sun was shining again. I got caught in a downpour while in town, so ducked into Estels for breakfast and coffee.

That afternoon, I treated myself to a massage with Carrie at Sol Spa. God, I never knew how sore I really was. She really worked me good and I highly recommend her. I took a long walk along the beach and ended up at Crazy Canucks again (go figure!). Met some people from California who were staying there and there is a good bat story here! Ate dinner at El Divino at Banana Beach. Very good. I am loving this vacation!

Usually, every morning, I spent at Caribe relaxing by the beach or pool and this morning I did the same. I rode a bike into town and went snorkeling at Ramon's pier, something I had never done before. I have done many of the other tours, but really enjoyed this. It is well worth it. We saw a sea snake, a baby shark and thousands of beautiful fish. It was also fun to watch the Belizean children doing flips off the dock and giggling. Got some good photos that day.

At some point, I noticed the dog population on the island has really decreased, but did notice one dog hanging at BCs, who I named "Swing Balls". We will leave that one alone, but boy, did we laugh so hard and a little song was born from watching him. Had food to go from Caliente that night. Awesome, as usual. Returned to the hotel because I had to leave the next afternoon and had a long travel day. Needed to behave myself. Jose Cuervo was still hanging out up in my room, so I let him out again and shared the rest with Caribe employees.

Friday, and last day. It always comes too soon. I really was tempted to stay because I knew I didn't have to be back in the office until Monday, but I would pay the price. I debated for two dang hours and finally responsibility won out. At least I had half a day to hang at Caribe and relax before it was time to leave.

Spent my last hour on the island at BCs. Drinking and flying go together for me!

Can't wait to see my pictures because I know they are going to be pretty funny. All in all, it was a 10/10 vacation and as I ended up saying many times while there: "It is all good!" Hope to post some pics when they are developed.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
LaurieMar
Great recap - thanks for all the details! Just makes me that much more in a hurry for the 3rd to be here. I can't find a website for Sol Spa, but keep seeing reccomendations. Can you tell me where it is, what services they have and what prices are like? Thanks!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Laurie,
Hurry back!!!!! We miss you already!
Cheerz,
Vicki

Laurie: Great post. I am so excited to get back down there.

laurie mar nice post glad to had a fun time ...looks like you could make it a habit of livin the dream 52 weeks a year ..you could tell from your post your a fun person keep on doing you thing you for sure YOU know how!!!!!!!!!!!!enjoy

Living The Dream Every Day!
Laurie it was great hanging out with you. I'm so glad you decided to get away. Wasn't it just what the docta ordered? laugh smile

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Damn, Laurie, that was a great trip and report!! You know how to live it up!

L
OP Offline
L
Yep, it was great. Just what the docta ordered.

lawcucui: For Sol Spa, try [email protected]. I see you are a lawyer in Fresno - wonder if I know you? I am the designated Fresno person in our office and go down there at least once a month. In fact, heading down tomorrow for a mediation. Enjoy your trip!

I wanna hear more about the docta! Is this anything like 007?
Glad to hear your trip went well!
Sounds like you and Gela rocked the Island... wink

D
D
Thanks LaurieMar- makes me want to go back!~Lori

Lori
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.