Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
We have three weeks for our 1st trip to belize. don't want to do the tourist thing, but that seems to be all I find on the net. tips for finding the local spots (lodging & perhaps camping?) when i have traveled in mexico, i have had good luck hitting the back streets on foot to find the hotels frequented by locals. what towns should we be sure to see? we'd really like to charter a drop off camp trip-suggestions? also, any villages we should stop at on the way down from cancun?

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
There is, or was a camping spot on teh beach on AC by the cut. Don't camp in the jungle unless you are an expert at tropical jungle survival and are very content with the "I might die tomorrow" philosophy. Fer-de-lance - a very agressive snake - when bitten you have 45 minutes before you die. Buy(and read) a book called "Jaguar" by Alan Rabinowitz. (he founded the Jaguar Reserve in Belize). Take a peek at the photo of the fer-de-lance HEAD that was chopped off the snake - even though severed from it's body that head chased the author, fangs at the ready.
The Toledo District is pretty much all off the beaten path and is quite beautiful.

Raggamuffin Tours here on Caye Caulker does 3 day/2 night overnight sailing=camping-snorkeling trips to the outer deserted cayes - if you're into roughing it. Their website is http://www.raggamuffintours.com
--Lee

S
S
Alaska, I think that you'll find Belize much cooler and less spoiled than Mexico. Though you will find many tourists enjoying the country, they aren't nearly as unruly as those in other "t-shirt shop" destinations. Point being, if you decide to spend a few days in touristy San Pedro or Caulker, you may be pleasantly surprised by your fellow travelers. Might even make a few new friends.

H
H
Thanks to dogmatic for the great website. Just more places we can visit to make our upcoming journey to Belize more real.

T
T
Alaskan Two,
I have a friend who has a couple of cabanas in a mango grove on the edge of the village of August Pine Ridge, which in the northern part of the country about 35 minutes from the ruins at Lamanai. If you want the real Belize away from the tourists, this is it. Howler monkeys at night, roosters in the morning and hammocks all day. And good cold Belikan beer down the lane. You probably won't find a cheaper place to stay in Belize. If you are interested, I can get you pictures, etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.