Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16970 08/02/03 03:34 PM
sherry Offline OP
OP Offline
Another questions for all of you very informed ones! while we are on Ambergris we would like to visit Caye Caulker...what are our best options?
Sherry in NC

Sherry from NC
#16971 08/02/03 03:42 PM
Water taxi for the day is a good choice, get their schedule.

Hire a Guide with boat, that way you can add a snorkeling stop, to your Caye Caulker trip.

I've tried both ways, both good.

Dare To Deviate
#16972 08/03/03 07:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hi:

You might want to try one of the snorkel excursions that stop on Caye Caulker. Seaduced is the first one that comes to mind. This would make your day fun - a little snorkeling and a little sightseeing all in one day!

Other than that, there are scheduled boats (water taxis) several times a day or scheduled flights (Tropic or Maya) several times a day either way.

Cheers,
Wendy Auxillou
www.auxilloubeachsuites.com
www.chateaugiselle.com
www.cayecaulkerhomes.com
www.cayecaulker.org/traveltour

#16973 08/04/03 10:54 AM
B
B
sherry~

I got back from San Pedro just over a week ago... There is a water taxi to Caye Caulker that goes from the Shark's Bar dock (S end of town), and is $15US round trip. It ran from early morning (7AM I think) & the last boat from CC was at 5:30PM; they ran about every 1.5hrs. as I recall -- pretty convenient. It can be crowded but it's only about a 20min. trip...

The boy & I did CC as a day trip our last day in San Pedro; we took our snorkel gear, swam around a dock & at the split. And they didn't seem to mind taking wet money at the bar at the split either laugh

#16974 08/04/03 02:26 PM
sherry Offline OP
OP Offline
Beach Bob,
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip....thanks for the info about the day trip to Caulker! Was this your first visit? Sounds like THE PLACE for us. We used to visit Vieques Island, PR all the time and loved getting to know all the expates (even bought some property there a few yrs ago), but the crime got out of control and was getting to be very touristy....in many ways Ambergris sounds like the "old Vieques"! Hard to find an Island with a littel "flavor" these days. we are staying at Banan Beach (Aug 24-Sept1)Any other tips and/or info would be appreciated! One more question...What did you think of Caye Caulker? We will probably do the day trip just to explore, but I don't know if we want to stay all day.
Sherry in NC :rolleyes:

Sherry from NC
#16975 08/04/03 02:59 PM
Sherry - I'm sure you will find someone when you get there to take you out to Caye Caulker....I would suggest (as i have before smile ) Unity Tours, they have a big catamaran and are always willing to go by your schedule and do what you want. If you want to stay at Caye Caulker for 1 hour or 4 hours they are flexible. Have fun! :p

#16976 08/04/03 03:25 PM
B
B
Indeed, it was our first visit to San Pedro & for that matter Belize. We enjoyed it very much...

As for tips, I have a couple; I found nearly all the info available via searching this msg board to be reliable. Either do a search, or if you have a specific question, toss it out...

On tip re: water, the stuff out the tap really is pretty offensive (that bleach taste- blech!), & I can drink Miami city water w/o thinking it tastes bad... I suppose if I lived in SP I'd get used to it, but plan on getting gallons / liters as needed for drinking (a gallon ran $1.50US at the grocery). Though I made ice for my rum drinks and coffee using tap water, w/o reeling from the taste; perhaps the bleach gasses off during freezing / brewing?

As to Caye Caulker, I am conflicted... it is very laid back, and I tend to like to go do stuff, & like a bit of night life. I really liked SP for being able to walk up/down the beach to hear a band at night (just a personal preference). CC is a very small town, lacking the hustle & bustle in SP. It seems to attract the young / college age, budget backpacker type traveler mostly. At least that's who I saw in town. Many of them hang out getting sun at the split. OTOH, most any excursion you might want to do (snorkel, tour mainland, dive, fish) can be done from CC as easily as from SP... It seems to have several good places to eat, and at least a couple decent beach bars.

It's a fine destination for a day trip: go over, wander around, get lunch, wander some more, take a dip, have a beer. Using the water taxi, if you get bored, just take an earlier one back smile

Not sure if you're taking kids, but we found a dock in town that my 9yo loved. It had a square walkway at its end (open in the middle), w/ all the seagrass cleared out in the middle ... water about 4 feet deep, and steps into the water. A bunch of local kids were swimming here... like a salt water pool almost. I had to drag him out of there, cuz the snorkeling wasn't much good w/ all that commotion smile neat spot, if you have a young'un...

#16977 08/04/03 08:29 PM
You could rent a bike for the day, tour the island in about 20 minutes. You can ride your bike down the beach almost all the way to the south point. I prefer that to walking. Stop in and say Hi when you get here. I work most days at the gallery. We are located on Front Street diagonal left from the water taxi office, next to Habaneros restaurant.
--Lee
www.cybercayecaulker.com
www.caribbean-colors.com

#16978 08/05/03 07:42 AM
sherry Offline OP
OP Offline
To Silkpainter
Thanks so much for you response! I checked out your website WOW!!!!! The day trip will be worth it just to browse your shop...we wll definately
come by

To Beach Bob
thanks again! Nope, our kids are grown so we'll be solo...you are so right about the great info on this board How did we survive without the net?

Sherry from NC
#16979 08/05/03 01:47 PM
B
B
Bettern a bike, rent a 2 person kayak and circumcis....oops....circumvent the island. Takes about 2hrs at a liesurely pace. Tsunami up near the split had the best rate. I forget exactly what it was but was cheap. We brought towels for swimming and used them to cover our legs from the sun.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day