Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks to all these boards I now have figured we'll stay cheap in Cayo, but am unsure which one of these--I like the idea of a tree house or cabana over staying in town, it sounds more romantic. Is it?
Anyway, which would you all recommend of these:
Clarissa Falls
Smith Family Farm
Midas Tropical Resort
Parrot's Nest
They all fall in the $30-40 range. Smith wants $ sent ahead by Western Union, which of course makes them more $$ due to wiring costs. frown Parrot's Nest is no longer managed by the owners.
I've also been in touch with the Aguada and Crystal Paradise. CP is much more at $33 pp but includes meals. Aguada gets high marks but sounds less romantic, more like a standard motel.
So, please, any advice. We leave on Monday and I'd like to have our first destination set before we go! smile
Thanks to all, your reviews and travelogues really whet my appetite.

M
M
I'm partial to both Clarissa Falls and Crystal Paradise, which are owned/operator by lovely people. Either of these will be fine for what you have requested.

Maya Travel Services
If you can get Crystal Paradise for US$33 a person including meals (US$66 double with meals), I'd probably go that way. That's a pretty good deal. It's not fancy, but it's nice.

Otherwise I'd probably choose Parrot's Nest or Smith Farm.

Aguada is great, but it is basically a motel in town.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
I agree. Crystal Paradise is a "step above" the others. Larger property, more full service with excellent tours, birding, horses on site, etc. Very nice family run resort in a good location for river activities, caving, waterfalls. Not as remote as some of the other jungle properties so getting into town & to other sites is a bit easier, but you still have the jungle lodge feel rather than at the other properties which are on the outskirts of town. Good food too!

N
nnr Offline
N
You might also want to consider the campground at Chaa Creek.... the screened in cottages are really nice.

Nan
What ever happened to Nabatunich, off the Western Hwy, between SI & Benque? Lan, any thoughts?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
G
G
I like Crystal PAradise too and stay there often. Mostly to hear Jeronie laugh (you'll see what I mean if you stay there) but also he is a great birder/naturalist. Also Mama (as all her guests end up callling her) is a wonderful cook. However, I think their rates for non-thatched is 75.00 (not incl. tax) and includes a hearty breakfast and dinner.
Clarissa Fall is my next favorite and closer to the Mopan River but is a working farm so not as "jungly" as CPR.
As LF mentioned, Five Sisters is a located above some fantastic waterfalls but is in a pine forest. CPR is on the road to the pine forest and I normally go to CPR and stop by Five Sisters for lunch on a day trip to the falls, caves, and trails. I have stayed at Five Sisters a couple of times but not for more than one night.
Won't comment on the other three as I haven't stayed there but I am familiar with them from friends comments and have also visited two of the other three you mentioned.
Oh, and the Aguada is a good value but it is right in Santa Elena town.

My "offical" home away from San Pedro is Midas Tropical Resort. It is "even for me" affordable, clean, quiet and easy access to anything in Cayo District. It is half a block from Hodes and about 4 blocks to beautiful downtown San Ignacio. Guides arrive daily to arrange day trips. The staff is very nice and accomodating. All in all, a perfect home base!!

Gone fishing!!
Although I liked Midas (cute, clean, affordable, nice people), it's hardly in the "jungle." It's basically in town, so if you want the jungle feel, you won't get it there. I haven't been to the other places, so I can't help you with that. Just wanted to warn you about Mida's probably not being what you are looking for.

Yah can always bring along Tropical Rainforest Meditation tapes.

Gone fishing!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.