Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
X
Xoe Offline OP
OP Offline
X
It was a great trip -- I hope to be back . . . Marvelous place for snorkeling, and for walking with camera in hand!

S
S
Hello Xoe. Thanks for posting the great pics. I am trying to plan a trip in August and would love your advice and opinions. First, how was Mata Rocks? Would you recommend it? How does it compare to Banana Beach and Exotic Caye, in your opinion?

Secondly, can you give me an idea of what I should expect to pay for things...for instance, how much is a beer on the beach or in the bar? Cocktails? What about restaurant prices for meals? Did you use the kitchen facilities in your room? Any help anyone can give would be great. Thanks.

L
L
Hi Xoe,
I just now pulled up your great pics of the island. Our house is on one of them. It is the one with the "Attack Conch" sign. Wish I had a penny for every picture taken of that sign! One of our dear friends got that for us after we had a break in. Very nice perspective for tourists to see what the island looks like both north and south.

R.B. Mernitz
L & T, I agree with you about Xoe's pics. They are a good perspective. Squidgy, IMHO Banana Beach is very nice. Comparing BB with Mata the rooms are bigger at the Banana and nice kitchens and two sheltered pools. Not covered but wihin the walls, check their website. Whatever, I'm sure you're going the have a great time. Stop at Pedro's for a this crust pizza and the coldest beer around. Go fishing.

D
D
Great pictures that may hold me for a while. We're not coming down until Jan-Feb so same question as squidgy. We need a place to stay.
Sure wish I could take pictures like that. Jealous

D
DB Offline
D
Great photo report. Pics speak for the trip.
Thanks for the post. Can't wait to go back. smile

X
Xoe Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Sorry to be slow in answering. We were at a family reunion in Portland, Oregon -- wonderful birthday celebrations for 3 family members -- fantastic time, although the 100+ degree heat did not add to the fun!!! (And no sea at our door to cool off in . . .)

I am happy to see my photos have been having another look by some of you. I did have a good time trying to give viewers a balanced look at various aspects of A.C., including some "paths less taken".

Squidgy, I thought Mata Rocks was a fine place to stay, and would recommend it highly, so long as you don't expect a luxury condo -- which it doesn't purport to be, and isn't. Rooms are immaculate, tastefully decorated, and comfortable; my standard room had a small fridge, not a kitchenette or kitchen. What I LOVED about the place is its small size and lay-out so that EVERY room and/or its balcony has a good sea view. Mata Rocks has a very open feel, very much ON the sea and part of the seaside setting. For that reason, I like it better than Banana Beach, which by comparison seems rather closed in and shut off from the beach and sea, unless you are in one of the front (seaside) units, which are only a small percentage of BB's complex. I don't mean to knock BB -- I know its fans are many -- but my tastes run more towards a smaller place, and my balcony with sea view, which allowed onshore breezes into my room, was very important to me. The price I paid was a good deal, too -- 7 days (7th day free) on off-season, which started in May.

I know from others' posts that BB's rooms are bigger, so it just depends what is important to you.

Another comment on places to stay: in January my sister and I stayed at Belizean Shores in a wonderful spacious condominium, and I LOVED that!!! Amazing pool, marvelous place for long morning or evening beach walks. Water taxis to get to town worked just fine for us, so being north of town was no problem. If traveling with someone, I would happily go there again; by myself, it was more space than I needed and more $$ than I wanted to spend.

I'm not a good source for information about prices because in May I was traveling alone and ate at odd-ball times, and didn't, for example, have a beer on the beach. I'd suggest you post that question as a new general topic -- you'll get lots of help from lots of people, including residents who really know.

Lovey and Thurston, I LOVE your house! I'd be happy to act as back-up for your "attack conch" if that means I'd get to hang out there!

X
Xoe Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Two afterthoughts:

First -- Mata Rocks' air conditioning was used, effective, and appreciated during my May visit. Belizean Shores also has good A/C, but in January we used it very little as weather was cooler then -- open windows and ceiling fans kept us comfortable for our entire week there, except for the last day when we were packing, when we appreciated the cool-down for that job.

Second -- on my photo site
http://fredasphotos1.shutterfly.com/action/
which started this thread, if you look at the bottom left of the page beneath my explanatory comments, you'll find my other photo collection from our January trip. Those photos show the perspective from north of town, and may interest some of you who plan on staying up that way. I'll add a post on the earlier trip report to bring it up nearer the top of the Trip Reports and Photographs section of the board.

Freda,
Your "photo story" is fantastic! A very unique perspective. You have a great photographic "eye." I too love the house guarded by the "Attack Conch." It has such an island feel to it. Lovey and Thurston - you did a beautiful job. Did you design it? You are blessed to call it home.
My, what big ears you have Xoe! I must say, the picture of the "real" Xoe is my favorite. What a gorgeous animal. Her eyes are mesmerizing.
Freda - Thanks so much for posting.
Pam

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself"
L
L
No, we really didn't design it as such. It is probably the oldest house at that end of the island. We bought it 22yrs. ago and just kept working on it until my husband retired. It is very much an island beach cottage,and we intentionally kept it that way. We too have loved it and feel blessed to call it home. Stop in and we'll give you the tour. When we bought it there was a delapidated old above ground cistern behind our bedroom. We got the brilliant idea to turn it into a plunge pool. That has been one of the best ideas we've ever had.Thanks, Judy

R.B. Mernitz
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 288 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.