Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
From the Magnum Belize Newsletter:

You can find Mayan Pibil served every Sunday at Kitty's Place, a secluded beach resort located on the peninsula, 1 1/2 miles north of the Creole village of Placencia.

What's Mayan Pibil, you say? It's chicken and pork seasoned with traditional Mayan spices, wrapped in banana leaves and baked underground, in a pit on the beach. Served by candlelight, it makes for an unforgettable evening.

There are other unique Belizean dishes on the menu at Kitty's Place, like traditional Belizean "Tea:" Refried beans, cheese, hashfish and fryjacks with jam or honey -� a favorite of local fishermen. There's Creole coconut bread French toast, and the daily Belizean Special, such as stew beans and white rice, fried whole snapper, potato salad and plantain.

Kitty's Place is proud of the menu served at the quiet beach resort: "We have consistently served good food, with interesting menus and a new dinner menu every night," says Kitty Fox, of the resort that bears her namesake.

Kitty, who moved to Placencia from Colorado in 1984, owns and operates the resort, along with Ran Villanueva, born and raised in Placencia as a local fisherman and diver. He got into the tourism industry in the early 1980s, and was only the second person to receive a hotel license in Placencia. Needless to say, he's well-versed in the business. An apt description of Kitty's Place: "An informal, barefoot spot, not fancy, but just about perfect. "Their resort features 11 colonial-style units, the restaurant and beach bar, and several houses for rent, which Ran says are "ideal for families."

In addition to the beach front at Kitty's Place, guests have access to French Louie Caye, a 1 1/2 acre private island which lies about eight miles east of the resort in the Caribbean Sea. It's a perfect place for snorkeling, as a mangrove forest along the island side of the coral reef provides a refuge for hundreds of young fish and lobster, crabs, octopus, anemones, urchins, star fish, and sea horses.

"I think Hurricane Iris actually gave the coral a good rinse," says Kitty, recalling a recent snorkeling outing at French Louie Caye. "There was a lot of very healthy, brilliantly colored brain corals and lots of beautiful, florescent sea fans. Also loads of different kinds of tropical fish, including sergeant major, spotted drum and blue hamlets. Also many baby fishes such as white and yellow grunts and long tail jacks."

Kitty's Place offers wedding and honeymoon packages, and a variety of tours and activities,including snorkeling, Monkey River, scuba diving, sport fishing, and lagoon kayaking, as well as tours to Mayan Ruins, caves and the Cockscomb Jaguar Reserve.

marty, does kitty deliver to houston? laugh

what is the beach like at Kitty's? I was wondering about Bud's Dome house there - does anyone know of it? The chance to try Mayan Pibil
would be another reason to stay there. That sounds so good right now -- I'm starving!

The beach at Kitty's is one of the best on the peninsula.

Seems like Elvi's in San Pedro used to do a pibil special once or week or so. Don't know if they still do.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
G
G
Kitty's Place - the grounds and the beach are beautiful! Ronnie is always busy pruning, cleaning up and I loved it there. Had cocktails there sitting out on the porch of the restaurant and although it isn't right 'in town' it is a place I'd stay at for at least a few nights if I was in Placencia.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.