Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17374 11/13/03 06:19 PM
OP Offline
Hey guys and gals!
I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner but let me try it now! I tried a search but didn't see anything.
Most of you recognize me so I wont get chewed out about "working in Belize as a new grad" heeeheeeheeee!
Anyways I was wondering if anyone out there would mind looking into the posibilities of a foreign nurse (from the states-me of course) getting a job at one of the hospitals in Belize???

I did ask around (was short on time) when I was there last and everyone passed me on to someone else but they all said sure. Do any of you have connections??? Or know who I can contact? If all goes well I will be graduating in May 04...right around the corner!!! plz email me [email protected]
Thanks! smile
Also, here's a tid bit of gossip for those of you who are interested...the love of my life (yes he's Belizean and yes it's a long distance relationship) will be graduating from the Belize police academy in Dec/Jan. and so after I graduate we plan on moving in together wherever he gets stationed! At least for a little bit anyways to see how it goes! laugh wink

L
L
Sarah, You might contact Nurse Natalie (Natalie Palen) at the Health Clinic. She also took her training elsewhere (UK) I believe. I have never tried to apply for a license in Belize, and have only helped out in times like the hurricane etc. so that wasn't a problem. Sure you would need to have Belize licensing if you plan on a long term job.

R.B. Mernitz
OP Offline
Thanks. Is Nurse Natalie on AC or which health clinic? I will have to get my Licence wherever I go as I probably won't be staying in Maryand. I figure everywhere needs nurses, why not try somewhere I like for a little bit.

hi Sarah, Nurse Natalie would be incredible to work with. i will email you off list.

sounds AWESOME on the love of your life !!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

L
L
Nurse Natalie is in San Pedro at the Health Clinic. Sorry I don't know any R.N.'s in Belize City. If you are there visiting you might stop by Universal Health Serv. The director of nursing there I have met and she is very knowledgable and very nice. Probably isn't a neccesity but if you speak Spanish or have an opportunity to take some classes it would be very helpful. Have done some medical teams around Belize and in some areas many of the patients only spoke Spanish. Our daughter has lived in Latin America for the past 15 yrs. and had to take her boards in Spanish to work. Don't know if that is a requirement in Belize however.

R.B. Mernitz
OP Offline
No I dont think it is from what I have seen. I have done some medical clinics and spent some time in PG hospital working with a cuban doctor and there was only one nurse who was able to communicate with him from what I could see. However, I agree Spanish is a necessity as well as picking up some Kreol and a few basic words in K'ekchi (already started doing that)...and Mopan. I think learning the languages and being able to comfort the patients is the coolest part of it!

L
L
Sarah, Sounds like you enjoy volunteering . Have you ever considered doing some medical teams in other areas. My husband and I do a surgical team once a year somewhere. So far have worked in Honduras, Peru,and Ecuador as well as Belize. Really are a great experience. If you are interested , would be happy to give you some info on the organization we usually work with. Would be wonderful experience for a new grad. Where are you doing your training?

R.B. Mernitz
Sarah, Sarah, Sarah! Such wonderful things happening in your life! Your guy is getting a special person, tell him he better appreciate it or we will sic the dobies on him! hahahaha!
Good luck in finding a position. If they want Belizean references, you have all those wonderful contacts you made during the many times you helped others in Belize. You go girl, and the very best of luck to you in all things! smile

p.s. Does your guy by chance know Dalila? Could he hook me up? laugh

OP Offline
Lovey, I would be interested in the volunteer org that you and your husband are with. Could you email the info to me @ the e-addy above, please. Training at a local community college. I think afterwards I will continue for BS degree but in Emergency mngmt/paramedic. There is a great program here but I dont really like the area...so much traffic. Somewhere like New Mexico on a rez sounds more appealing. smile

Thanks Marty! cool

Dobie: Yes he really appreciates me. ITs kinda funny cuz I was telling him about the most recent of the guys that have been hitting on me and how my grandfather put a curse on me when I was a little girl about how I would have all the guys chasing after me. Well I was telling him how my Grandfather used to say he would give anyone who messed with me a knuckle sandwich but that he died when I was 14 so he never really had the chance! To that my friend said, "Well you just tell them your married!" I thought that was sweet and knew he meant the best but that doesnt work these days!
Dobie, who is Dalila? Dalila and Sampson or is this a real person in the academy? confused :rolleyes: laugh :p

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.