Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1757 06/12/06 10:37 AM
OP Offline
First of all I would like to say We enjoyed meeting the board members we met on SP. We enjoyed our time on the island very much. Ali(from canucks) was the best fishing partner Mario was cool to hang out with he was very quiet on the fishing trip it was hard to believe he was in a band ( Punta Boys )

The Palms was the best it was like staying in someones home. The night watch man ( cant remember his name ) was cool as hell. On one drunk one berral and water night he saw me cleaning a coconut on the dock and came out and helped this drunk ole cajun so i could come home with all my fingers and then climed a tree and got us two more to try drinking from. It was great that night but in the morning the coconut gods had there revenge.

I really didnt care for ether belikin or belikin preimum but light hopuse was ok. One barrel and water with a twist of lime is good stuff.

Chalky ( I know that is most likely not how you spell his name ) from Ocean Adventures was the coolest guide I have went out with even though the boat broke down while we were out and I had to fix it. It was still cool and we went back out with him the next day. He was a very profesional guide and my wife felt very safe out on the reef with him there.

BC's on sunday was cool we had a great time and plan to return again. The people were as nice as everyone said and more there is some we met that we will never forget

----------- now the things we didnt like ------

the cost of living was very high and that led us to decide against looking at property in SP

the part that kinda hurt my feelings a little was when we went through the cut to the back side of the island and saw how the locals live back there it was the poorest sight i have ever seen ( no disrespect intended )

the venders were one thing that i didnt like it made us feel like we had to be assholes to them to get them to leave us alone. ( we bought some necklaces from the young cpl just down the beach from the palms and had a custom necklace made by the guy on the corner right infront of the food stalls in town )

the offers for drugs were a little crazy I thought it was strange that the only time I saw a police man was at the chicken drop ( which was cool too )

All in all we had a great time and will be back to visit but not to live what i have said here is only our view once again EVERYBODY we came in contact with were wounderful people and we felt welcome fron the time we hit the island untill the time we left

J D and Dianne Tremblay
smile

J D Tremblay
Southern Illinois University Press
Phone 618-453-6634
Fax 618-453-3787
[email protected]
#1758 06/12/06 11:04 AM
Hon Offline
Thanks for the trip report JD. We have been wondering how things went.

I'm glad to hear that you liked it enough to want to return smile

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
#1759 06/12/06 11:25 AM
JD, I'm glad you managed to surface, after such a long time. We have missed your smile!!
I hope you will let me shed a little bit of light on your opinion of the "poor" area. I thought the same as you did after my first visit. Since then, I have learned. By our US standards, these residents are poor. But, by island native standards, these people are rich beyond means. They have food to eat, a roof over their heads, and their children are healthy. They are not encumbered by trying to keep up with the "Jones" or get the bigger/better/faster/fancier whatever. They go home at night after a hard days work and feel like they have done a good job, spend time with their families, and rest before starting it all over again the next day. Here in the states, we go home, hit the computer/wallstreet journal/industry or trade magazines, drink too much, get ulcers and ignore the family in the quest of getting more and more stuff to make our lives easier. The Belizians have it figured out. Not having the "stuff" keeps them free. I am learning a lot from them, and hope to incorporate this into my life here in the states. Have gotten rid of a bunch of stuff, with more to go, but already feel lighter. I agree with the cost of things on the island, but will pay a little bit more and buy a lot less. Please return and keep this in mind. Remember they have never had the wealth that we have, so they don't miss it. I also agree with the vendors hitting you up while you are trying to have a nice time. Something needs to be done before it turns into another Cancun, where people get angry with the vendors for bugging them so much. Perhaps a designated area where they can set out their stuff for people to look at, and then purchase? I don't know the answer, but these things won't stop me from going back. I do love San Pedro.

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
#1760 06/12/06 02:54 PM
Please do not let those locals houses make you think there is poverty here. There is very little in the country and certainly not in SP.

It is just a matter of priorities. Locals generally actually own their homes and are pround of them. No mortgages to contend with.

It is every Belizeans birthrite to be given land. Inside their homes you will see Sat TV's. DVD's etc. etc. All mod cons. Cell phones, you name it.

#1761 06/12/06 05:29 PM
E
E
What colour are your glasses beachboy?

#1762 06/12/06 06:52 PM
Thanks JD and Dianne....good review.

We all have opinions and you did well with yours smile

#1763 06/14/06 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Sun&sand:
By our US standards, these residents are poor. But, by island native standards, these people are rich beyond means. They have food to eat, a roof over their heads, and their children are healthy. They are not encumbered by trying to keep up with the "Jones" or get the bigger/better/faster/fancier whatever. They go home at night after a hard days work and feel like they have done a good job, spend time with their families, and rest before starting it all over again the next day. Here in the states, we go home, hit the computer/wallstreet journal/industry or trade magazines, drink too much, get ulcers and ignore the family in the quest of getting more and more stuff to make our lives easier. The Belizians have it figured out. Not having the "stuff" keeps them free. I am learning a lot from them, and hope to incorporate this into my life here in the states. Have gotten rid of a bunch of stuff, with more to go, but already feel lighter.
I totally agree. Everytime I return home from SP I get rid of a lot of useless stuff. I believe that a less cluttered home/car/office makes for a much less cluttered life!! If we let ourselves, we really can learn a lot from the Belizeans.

#1764 06/14/06 08:40 PM
immissing I have lived with Belizeans for many years before I even came to Belize. I know Belizean people here who are worth millions yet they appear poor when you look at them. Some even ride an old bicycle around and do not have a car, it is values nothing more.

Do not be deceived by appearances. I really know this culture better than most gringo's and have been fully accepted amongst the locals wherever I have lived here so far.

In order to fully understand the culture you have to live under the skin of the country and stop thinking like a gringo.

I have been down to my last 20 cents once after being robbed of a substantial amount of money. It was the locals who gave me the confidence to fight my way back.

The Belizean people are a wonderful people, my wife is one such example. Unassuming and not boastful unlike myself. Living life to the full yet caring about others.

#1765 06/15/06 06:43 AM
OP Offline
Keep in mind everyone I NEVER said I didnt love the people that I met If you read my words you will see it was the cost of living that was too high for us. We are by no means rich and maybe this is why we cant live there. If some think I was putting down the people of the island they are wrong I have been poor before and know what it is like.

J D Tremblay
Southern Illinois University Press
Phone 618-453-6634
Fax 618-453-3787
[email protected]
#1766 06/15/06 07:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
JD - you were so excited to get there, was it everything you hoped? Do you think you'll go back?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.