Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Dear esteemed message board contributors!

My name is Nick and I am really excited about tripping to Belize this Spring. After reading the attached thread and HOPEFULLY you can give me some MUCH appreciated guidance, please keep in mind we are on a tight budget and need to keep accommodation to below 80$ a night for two. Please relay your experiences as I feel this is the ultimate response and information source!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Belize from May 29th through June 6th 2004.

We plan on spending 2 days in Placencia, 1 day in the Mountains, and several days on the Cayes.

We are investigating the Tradewinds Hotel in Placencia for 1 or 2 days. What do you think of this hotel, should I request a certain room? Any other places in Placencia you would recommend?

Then we plan on touring the caves in the mountains (Saw a really cool trip where one can tube through a cave that looked very cool.) Any suggestions on where to stay that would facilitate this adventure?

Then we will spend about 1 or 2 days on Caye Caulker, looking into Diane's Beach House, and a few others. Please suggest good experiences from past excursions with VALUE and closeness to beach front as priorities.

Finally we would really like to spend 2-3 nights on a smaller Caye and would love to hear so recommendation from people.

I have read the posts here and gained much. I loved the story about Shrimp Christmas! I love these boards because they are such a huge help to so many people.

I appreciate any advice and suggestion you might offer!

Peace, waves, solitude on a budget
LOOK AT RANGUANA LODGE AT PLACENCIA- GET SOME FOOD AT JUNGLE JUICE. THERE IS A SMALL CAYE OFF PLACENCIA CALLED RANGUANA CAYE....NOT SURE HOW TO BOOK IT. I'M THINKING I MIGHT HAVE SEEN WHERE TRADE WINDS BURNT DOWN BUT MAYBE THEY HAVE REBUILT. WE STAYED THERE COUPLE YEARS AGO AND LOVED IT.........CAULKER IS REALLY FUN BUT PUT ON YOUR SLOW SHOES. ENLOY YOUR TIME I DIDN'T LOOK AT YOUR PROFILE SO WHERE ARE YA FROM???? DUANE

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
OP Offline
We live in Redlands California, and the more I read about Belize, the Cayes and Placencia, the more excited I get.

My wife is a bit less of an adventure tourist than I but I am breaking her in slow via Belize smile . We need to find safe, fairly clean accomodations but are unale to spend a lot. Typical story I am sure.

We are trying to balance our trip between seeing all there is to see and not over doing it. If we land in BZE int. Saturday morning and take a air hop to Placencia, (30 minute flight) we can be in Placencia on day 1, which after reading a bit more might be worth the $70 to avoid the long bus and taxi trip.

For sure we will spend 2 nights in Placencia maybe 3 and then the smaller Caye you mentioned (or something similiar???) sounds IDEAL. Two nights on the smaller Caye maybe more..... Then we either will head into the mountains for some Cave adventures or head to Caye Caulker or Amberg. Caye via some mode of transportation I do not have a clue yet what type.

Reccomendations, suggestions, time of travel (not air) from Placencia to Caulker?

Thanks for advice!

Nick

My boyfriend and I visited Belize last Thanksgiving and can recommend a lovely little secluded Caye if you are looking for something off the beaten path: Tobacco Caye. Very small and laid back. Lots of backpackers and great snorkeling. We stayed with Mark Bradley at Tobacco Caye Lodge. It is inexpensive and includes meals (there are no resturants on the island other then the lodges). We scuba dove with Reef's End.
http://www.tclodgebelize.com/
http://www.reefsendlodge.com/

Once we made it to Caye Caulker we were looking for something a little fancier so we picked Iguana Reef End- but we really wanted to stay at Chocolate's- it was booked. No web site but worth doing a google search for. Diane's beach house looked very nice and I would definitely stay there if I went back.

Must stop by the Bar at the Split for Sunset and to socialize with the locals-the Sandbox and Rasta Pasta are a must! Also loved Habenaros and the seafood place (can't recall the name) across from Rasta Pasta!! Dove with Frenchie's- very nice.

Have a great trip! I am jone'sin to go back now ;-(

placencia to cauker without a plane will be take the bus up to belize city which i'm thinking is 4 hrs US which will probably be 6 hrs BZE. then you can take a boat for about $15 over to cauker. not sure when your going but keep loking at the board and various web sites to find places you'll enjoy.have you found the placencia and cauler sites yet? sounds like you are trying to do a trip that barb and i enjoyed short of going to the mountains 2 yrs ago. we are more beach people!!! we did placencia 4 days cauker 4 days then sp for the final 4.......hope you make it..duane

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
OP Offline
Thanks to everyone for the updates and experiences....I am doing more homework for this trip than any other mostly because its the first trip with my new (And only!) wife and I want to get her accustomed to travel my style (Adventure, not many hotel reservations, seat of the pants stuff) of course I have mellowed it down a bit for her.

I booked a flight! BTW for anyone planning a trip I suggest going to Orbits and expedia and finding out who supplies fare THEN go to that providers web page and save 50-100 to 150$.!

The best I could find was $435-Toca-from LAX to BZE about 75$ cheeper that Orbitz! Maybe should have waited a month for last minute deals but hell..... smile

OP Offline
OH! what about boat from Placencia to Caye Caulker? What cost, time, availability could I anticipate? Rough seas? Pirates?!

B
B
In short--fly to Placencia. and then back to Bze to next destination, unnless you are extremely nervous about flying in a puddlejumper. The return on investment is well worth it in regards to windshield time.

There is a boat trip from Placencia to Caye Caulker. Takes about 2 days with camping along the way.
http://www.secretgardenplacencia.netfirms.com/

OP Offline
Japs looks like a bit of a pirate! smile I am sure that would be a fun trip just to time consuming for us! Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.