Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
OP Offline
J
We're coming to Placencia for our honeymoon at the beginning of May and we're wondering what is the best way to spend our tourist dollars? Are credit cards accepted? Should we bring cash? travelers checks? Are there ATMs? Is that in itself a funny question?? Thanks so much for any help you can offer!
Sincerely,
Jody

Money is good (USD - 20's and 50's) - change them as you need to and spend BZD.
Credit cards are perfect for biger bills like hotel and tours.
You will get "more for your money" with cash.

Hey Offline
traveller checks are very widely accepted too.

Hey!
I generally bring $300-500 in cash to get started and travellers cheques for the balance. Works great, I have enough cash to enjoy myself for a few days, not that cashing the cheques is any problem either.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

J
OP Offline
J
Thank you so much everyone! Where is the most affordable place in town to exchange cash?

no need to exchange cash, if you are bringing US greenbacks. Accepted everywhere!

Your change will be given to you in either BZ or a combo of US & BZ.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
B
B
Please Don't take this the wrong way.

I am bringing some supplies for the local schools that somebody posted are in dire need. While making a list I was wondering what might be a good thing to bring to AC to trade for local goods? What do people want down there(besides $$$) that would be good to swap for say a snorkel trip or a local painting, etc. I would just like to know that some things that "I" take for granted in the states might not be available there like a dive watch, women's makeup, sunglasses, or a Nike hat, etc due to duties or taffifs being outrageous on certain goods. When I was in barbados people wanted to buy my wife's bathing suit because they cost so much due to taxes. Just wondering.

Bigshot,

I thought you said you had been to Ambergris Caye before. If you have, you know that just about anything available in the U.S. is available in Belize, if not in San Pedro then in Belize City or Chetumal. True, some items cost more due to import duties and transportation costs, but I'd say 99% of local residents would prefer cash over trinkets, and some Sanpedranos are wealthy enough to buy and sell the average tourist several times over.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
laugh laugh cool cool

Good answer, Lan!

B
B
Never been before was scheduled to go but the hurricane hit in fall/2001. When I was in Jaco last year a woman from my home town told me she would kill for red licorice....can't get it in Costa Rica. That was basically what I was geting at, was not trying to swindle a dive trip for a fake Rolex.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.