Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#181703 08/08/05 04:56 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Hello!
Going to be down in SP for an extended time and as an avid scuba diver (instructor, photographer, etc.) will be wanting to do plenty of diving.

I was wondering if anyone on the island may have a boat to rent extended term? Talking a few days a week, over several months. With that much use and diving, hiring a boat and guide thru the local dove shops would definately add up. Not looking for anything significant boat-wise, just something fairly reliable and big enough to haul a couple people and dive gear to the local AC dive spots. Looking to do a lot of exploration of the area.

I'll definately ask and nose around locally when on island, but thought I'd try getting a jump on things.

Maybe better yet, an ex-pat/local with lots of time on thier hands, a love of diving, and a boat, but needing an experienced dive buddy to share adventure and gas money is out there somewhere? I can dream. wink

Anyway, if anyone knows anything promising drop me an email or post.

Thanks much!!

~ MJ

#181704 08/08/05 07:12 PM
S
S
There have been issues with the BTB over taking persons out without a tour guide license. Even a local villa owner was charged for taking his buddies out on his boat. I suggest you contact them for a clarification.

Other than that you'll probably have a hard time finding someone who will rent you their boat down here, the waters are not for those without detailed experience.

#181705 08/08/05 07:44 PM
S
S
The "issues" that you refer to were resolved in favour of the host taking his friends out. No longer an issue.

#181706 08/09/05 01:23 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Simon and Jesse for the information. I was certainly aware of the licensing issues and restrictions, but always good to be cautious and keep ones eyes open and ear to the ground. First I'd heard of the issue w/ the villa owner, and glad it was resolved favorably.

Certainly wouldn't expect someone to rent out a boat to "just anybody" and realize that I'll likely be just that anybody for awhile. Then again, nothing ventured, nothing gained, can't hurt to ask around.

So are there any expats on the island that love to dive and have their own boat? Can't imagine that there aren't a few around, even if under the radar. But again, I realize that I wouldn't extend invitations to just anybody off the street myself.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and I'll see you all in person soon.

~ MJ

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.