Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#184868 12/02/05 04:18 PM
ok now there 2miles... let's keep this clean. eek

#184869 12/02/05 04:42 PM
W
W
My Mom watched a fin cruise around off of a dock just south of town. Thought it was a dolphin at first, but it wasn't diving at all, just cruisin.

#184870 12/02/05 05:57 PM
S
S
Don't get me going, the Crocs are a real sore spot with me. Destroy their habit, desensitize them to humans by feeding them, encroach upon their territory by walking up to them and getting cute pictures for the folks back home and then bitch when they start having to roam further and further to find food. Who're the bad guys here, certainly not the Crocs.

Hopefully in the near future a couple of friends from Texas Tech will be coming down to do a study on the interaction with humans and to make recommendations on how we can best preserve this endangered resource. People seem to forget that the Crocs are just as endangered as the Manatees. Manatees are just cuter and easier to sell. Personally I'd love to see the government set up a park at the WASA ponds where tourists could walk boardwalks throughout the area and see, without disturbing, the incredible wildlife that we have on the island. No more chicken on a string!

On the biting note, I swam and windsurfed regularly in the New River lagoon for several years. The last Croc count I was on we counted something like 300 in our 26 mile trip around the lagoon and down the river, many in the area where I surfed and swam. I still have all my limbs. It's very difficult to catch a Croc, as we did for research, due to the fact that they are scared to death of humans. It's only by desensitizing them to humans that we take the risk of a tragic accident. Guess who gets shot when that happens? Not the guy who worked the fear out of the Croc that I can guarantee you.

Ahhh, been a while since I've had a good rant.

On the sharks, cool!

#184871 12/02/05 09:14 PM
I took pictures of crocs swimming from a creek right into the salt water.....for true smile

#184872 12/02/05 10:56 PM
C
C
there are sharks out by the reef, that are not nurse sharks there are hammerheads ,and bullsharks out there but they must be coming in closer to shore in search of food. anybody got any insight into this?

#184873 12/03/05 01:47 AM
RD Offline
Simon, I so agree with what you have written. I absolutely could not believe all the people at the WASA pond around 5 at night throwing chicken out to the crocs.... or taking pictures trying to pet them etc. etc., one only needs to do a search here on this board for pictures of people doing these things on their vacations and bragging about it!!! kind of reminds me of some stupid, stupid tourists dipping their kids hands in honey to lure bears closer for good pictures in the Rockies! And unfortunately the loser is usually the animals... they are either put down or relocated to other areas... Hopefully your friends from Texas Tech will be able to make some recommendations on preservation of the crocs and hopefully someone will do something to prevent people from baiting the crocs for photo ops!!! Good Luck!

#184874 12/03/05 07:42 AM
S
S
Let 'em go ahead and bait the crocs...it'll thin out the ranks of idiots on the island.

#184875 12/03/05 08:16 AM
That may take some time.

#184876 12/03/05 09:47 AM
C
C
feeding of the crocs:it happens every day at 5 o clock down there at the pond by the water plant,and its getting more popular, last time i was there there were tourist from all the major hotels on the island down there in the hotels golfcars. they walk out there on that little narrow strip of land looking for the croc but what most dont realize is there is more than just one and sometimes it sits on the other side of that narrow strip of land, and when people are looking at the one croc there is one along the other side just waiting to jump up(i have seen this happen on numerous occasions) on the land and trap those poor people. Its just a matter of time before a major attack happens.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.