Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
We are staying in San Ignacio for four days and the Amergris Caye area for four days in April. What is the best way to handle money while in Belize? Do most places prefer American dollars or their own? Will traveler's checks be too much of a hassle? Thanks.

MOST WILL TELL YOU THAT TRAVELER CKS ARE NO PROBLEM I DON'T TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT BUT TYPICALLY TAKE ABOUT 1/3 OF OUR SPENDING MONEY IN THAT FORM. OTHER THAN THAT WE JUST TAKE US$'S AND SPEND THEM AS NEEDED WHILE RECIEVING BZ$'S IN CHANGE

YA CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON A GOOD TIME
Yeah, U.S. dollars and Belize dollars are accepted with equal fervor anywhere in Belize. I usually bring traveller's cheques as a backup in case I lose my cash, credit cards and ATM card. TCs are accepted at most places a visitor is likely to go, though not in small shops and restaurants off the beaten path.

Now that ATMs at Belize Bank accept foreign issued ATM cards on the CIRRUS and PLUS networks, it's easier to get cash (they dispense Belize dollars).
Belize Bank isn't in Placencia or Caye Caulker, however.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
S
S
I find that most places prefer BZ's and have noticed a few rolled eyes from bar tenders when using US dollars

S
S
The rolled eyes are 'cause you are paying a BZ$10 tab with a US$100 note, thus wrecking the bars cash drawer. The US is very welcome but bring smaller bills (US$20s are good) or exchange to BZ$ at your hotel front desk.

C
C
Us dollars, Belize dollars,travelers checks & credit dards all work........the main thing is just bring plenty. It goes fast when you're having fun.

S
S
I don't ever recall paying with $100 bill. That would just be tacky!

C
C
I didnt find anyone who minded taking my $100 bills. We went through 40 or 50 of them, no problem :-)

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.