Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Carnival contract is "Rape of patrimony" #18638
10/25/04 09:59 AM
10/25/04 09:59 AM
Catatonic Motivator Offline

Catatonic Motivator  Offline
Boy, there's some serious hooey being bandied about here, no?

Sometimes you need to do more than just believe whatever you read.

* I Go Pogo *
Re: Carnival contract is "Rape of patrimony" #18639
10/26/04 09:41 AM
10/26/04 09:41 AM
S
SP Daily Offline OP
SP Daily  Offline OP
S
Musa Lashes Out at 'Foriegners' in BTIA

The Cabinet has asked the Prime Minister to renegotiate government's April 29th agreement with Carnival. And the Prime Minister has agreed to pursue what he characterizes as minor, discretionary changes. Whether Carnival will agree to make changes to an enforceable, sovereign contract is, of course, another story. But after weeks of having the Carnival contract passed about, one thing is for sure, the Prime Minister now knows who his friends are, and their numbers do not include hotel owners.

The leaders of the Belize Tourism Industry Association in particular have publicly stated their utter disregard for the agreement and its architects. Well, as the nation found out at Friday's house meeting, two can play the name-calling and finger-pointing game. The Prime Minister used his national platform in the House of Representatives to call out the BTIA leaders as foreigners.

Hon. Said Musa,
I listened to some so-called representative of BTIA calling this contract outrageous, condemning it. I would say here, for the record Madam Speaker, that these people should not expect that this tourist industry should be owned exclusively by them; foreigners. The Belizeans have every right to participate in this industry and this cruise industry policy, when its implemented, will ensure, and the Carnival project too will ensure, that this project be expanded to give Belizeans a chance; an expanded chance in the tourist industry.

Re: Carnival contract is "Rape of patrimony" #18640
10/27/04 12:22 AM
10/27/04 12:22 AM
The Buckeye State, USA
dbdoberman Offline
dbdoberman  Offline
wow, wonder what the reaction of the BTIA will be?
I guess our emails won't have much impact, will they?

Re: Carnival contract is "Rape of patrimony" #18641
10/27/04 09:25 AM
10/27/04 09:25 AM
Swampscott,Ma
J
Jack and Rose Offline

Jack and Rose  Offline
J
Hey Capt Jeff, you were right I was out of line,and my apologies for my remarks. I guess I was having a bad day. I truly like you.

But I,m not having a bad day today!!!!! THE RED SOX ARE ONE AWAY!!!!!!!!!!! "What a strange long trip it's been" What a great bunch of lunch pail ballplayers. The looseness you see is for real.

One game at a time,one at bat at a time,one pitch at a time. It works. I first went to Fenway park as a 7yr old to see Ted Williams with my dad. That was fifty years ago this year. How sweet it will be. A victory will be for all those who have come and gone and always coming up a little short. I think a lot of baseball fans have a little of the Red Sox in them. Oops, I forgot about the Yankee Fans!!!! There still lapping the wounds and not that graciously. In that seventh game they looked like "pinstripe" Wall street broker's with briefcases going to work.

Re: Carnival contract is "Rape of patrimony" #18642
10/27/04 01:02 PM
10/27/04 01:02 PM
San Pedro
S
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Sir Isaac Newton  Offline
S
Hey, we (NY) can't win ALL the time.

Enjoy it, it'll be another 86 years. :p

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Re: Carnival contract is "Rape of patrimony" #18643
10/27/04 01:15 PM
10/27/04 01:15 PM
San Pedro
S
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Sir Isaac Newton  Offline
S
Carnival negotiations seek compromise
Meetings surrounding the controversial Carnival contract continued this week as key players met in Belize City to navigate a way forward in negotiations. News 5 understands that on Monday, Minister of Tourism Mark Espat and Chairman of the Belize Tourism Board, Therese Rath, met with representatives of the Carnival Cruise Line, namely Giora Israel, Vice President of Strategic Planning and their man on the ground here in Belize, Francesco Morello. Also at the meeting was Luke Espat of Belize Ports Limited and his financial backers, Phillip Obsbourne and Phillip Johnson of the Belize Bank. While exact details of the meeting have not been publicized, reports out of Belmopan indicate that significant progress was made towards an understanding of Government's position as Carnival made 'a lot of movement' towards a compromise. We understand that a list of draft points has been agreed to which will now be reduced to writing and finalized by the end of the week for final approval by both sides. But while this new agreement is supposed to get the Government out of hot water over the cruise port contract, the legal eagles are still trying to come up with language to characterise the document. Essentially, it will be a contract within a contract, but word is that Carnival has maintained its objections to calling the agreement an amendment, deed or anything close to those references, preferring the more vague term: "Memorandum of Understanding". That M.O.U. is to lay out the strategy for "clarifying" some issues presently contained in the contract, including exemption of Carnival from the Belize Cruise Ship Policy, especially clauses speaking to the number of cruise passengers which may visit Belize on a daily basis, licensing fees and the use of Belizean labour by the company. Prime Minister Said Musa signed the contract with Carnival on the twenty-third of April of this year. In September, Tourism Minister Mark Espat asked cabinet to review the document and renegotiate with the cruise line. Official groundbreaking ceremonies for the fifty million U.S. dollar project were held on April twenty-ninth in Port Loyola. Actual construction appears to be waiting on the outcome of this week's talks.

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
August
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (bobcat bill), 162 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics71,926
Posts482,308
Members19,687
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.