Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
Spent 11 days in Belize (6 on AC), got back less than 72 hours ago and it's snowing and freezing rain and thundering/lightning here today. 72 degrees when we left, 27 when we landed, this Saturday we're headed to ski and it's supposed to be a high of 6 degrees F.

Had a wonderful time, enjoyed our stay immensely and will do a trip report with lots of pictures either this weekend or next week (I have actual film, so had to get it developed and put on CD).

BelizeIt...

You're going outside in this? I wouldn't want to ski at -15 degrees F. I'm curling up in polar fleece and daydreaming about my trip to AC on March 1st.

WC

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
okay - i know this will sound wimpy, but it is COLD here in central CA - they are forcasting possible snow in the valley tomorrow night - hasn't snowed here in about 10 years - it was in the 70s last week - I can hardly stand the 30s!

normal low for the winter here in eugene is about 30. its 15 tonite. oh my gawd. brutal. really brutal. nothing good about it

must admit tho, when it comes to skiing, cold is no barrier. once skied a bright sunny day, temperature -20, 50 mph winds in our faces. interesting. each breath your whole respiratory tract froze. one friend without proper face protection had his face turn yellow at the bottom of the first run. yucky.

skied with umbrellas in a monsoon also, forcing those poor lift operators to stay on the job. we were the only ones still going. umbrellas turned inside out when boogieing down the hill fast. very handy on the lift! then we'd go to the one dryer in the giant generator room of the resort, strip naked, stand there while our clothes dried (no one around anywhere- too noisy), and get the heck back out there!

i'm kinda relentless when it comes to skiing and snowboarding. have to be the first one on the lift and the last one off the mountain. imho its the best sport in the world besides scuba diving.

when i taught my kids (no poles allowed in the family. call em crutches), i didn't want to just stand around while they learned, so i taught myself to ski with only one ski (and no poles). called it travelling light. that way i fell at the same rate as the lil ones did. did get the hang of it though. that was before snowboarding. then the kids got bigger, and the pressure on the one leg with a ski going down the hill is incredible when there is no rest cause no one is falling!

life is good.

smile

I first learned to ski on a very small town ski hill. That hill was a decently high and exhilarating ride down towards a riverbed. Of course, I also broke my tailbone cuz it took a while to learn how to fall correctly and that hill was soooo icy. I suffered that tailbone injury off and on for years. Eventually, I moved ever so much closer to the mountains. That first year, I'd have spent more serious mountain skiing too except that at the end of my first major day, I fell and broke my collar bone. smile

About 4 years went by and then, I got involved with a ski club. I still have one of my racing trophies sitting up on a shelf in my dining room. My collar bone doesn't hurt me anymore, but the later shoulder, hip and knee injuries have been a fricken mess and each still cause me problems now and then.

Windsufing was good for a while and I never minded if I didn't manage the wind and flew off my board. Every time . . . every time . . . I screwed up, I'd remember that hitting the water, felt so much better than the ripping in my knee when I helicoptered off the top of that mogul or the time that little pr**k ran me into a tree. (you had to be there).

And then . . . I found SCUBA.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Geez you guys - where's the group that just sits around the lodge drinkin Kalua laced coffee?

E
E
Right here, Baby!

wussy

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
E
E
its 75 and sunny, going to play a little golf..... sorry you cant get the door open smile

i thought you lost all your Tourists

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (dabunk), 257 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.