Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bzedoll Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok! I want to try Sushi from Blue Water Grill, except I am clueless to what it really is. I love Ceviche of any type of seafood, but I also know that they are different. What do you guys recommend I try to start off that will help me ease into this sushi craze. I love seafood don't get me wrong but raw fish I might have a problem with.

Help...please!!

I don't know what the sushi is like at the Blue Water Grill but I know that my first experience with Japanese cuisine was in Japan. I hadn't long ended a spell (nearly 20 years) of vegetarianism and veganism.

I was very apprehensive and felt a lot like you. I could just about cope with it cooked but I didn't think I could handle it raw. How wrong I was. I am a huge fan of Japanese food now but in no way an expert. I love raw fish and don't really care for sushi (with rice)that much, preferring sashimi (plain raw fish). The best way to get in to it, in my experience, is to go with someone who really understands the food, the textures, the flavours and the correct way it should be eaten. There is so much more pleasure to Japanese food than just being served and eating. Given how fresh the fish can be in Belize, I cannot wait to try the sushi, sashimi or any other variation. Do remember that smoked salmon is a type of raw fish. Not to mention that there are a whole lot of wonderful cooked Japanese dishes too. Of the things I tried the two I couldn't cope with were dried flying fish. They were some rare flying fish that were dried in the sun whole. A real delicacy. I couldn't face them. I tried salmon roe (otherwise known as poor man's caviar) and I thought it was disgusting.

The USA has adapted a whole load of ways to make sushi more palatable for the western taste bud. I am sure you will find that there are plenty of things you can have at the Blue Water Grill that you will like. I ate there in December for the first time and really enjoyed their pan asian twist.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Bzedoll Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks CollyK. Alot of my friends enjoy it so I think that I might as well. I like trying new food but there is something about raw fish that gets me. My grandfather is a fisherman and i have eaten dry fish and I love it so I might be able to stomach Sushi. Or at least I hope so wink

It's really really good at Rock N' Roll (Fido's). I'm sure Sharon could recommend something for you! I know their hours/days change but last I checked she was open from 5pm - 10pm. I'm sure she could recommend something for a first timer.

When I first started out (and now I craved it on a weekly basis!!!) I would only eat it cooked then gradually worked my way into the raw.

You will LOVE it!

BTW, it's nothing like ceviche but that's good too!!! wink

Try the spicy tuna roll. Shushi is raw fish with rice other things rolled up in seaweed. Sashimi is raw fish on top of rice. Both are very good at the The Blue Water Grill. Cheviche has raw fish or conch in it that is "cooked" by the lemon or lime juice. The fish is raw buy not really.

S
S
Most of the rolls at Blue Water grill feature seafood (not fish) that is cooked. Salmon, shrimp, crab, bbq eel (all cooked) and tuna (raw) and at times a bit or nori and sashimi.

Shread Head roll!

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
I first tried sushi just a couple years ago and quickly moved on to trying different types of sashimi also. Like collyk, I'm also a huge fan of Japanese food.

Bzedoll - Way to go on trying something new! It's a delicious and fun type of food - hope you love it!

Keep us posted!

My reality check bounced.
SIN, check your PM

Hate to correct you atomicindy but sashimi does not involve rice. It usually has a soy sauce, wasabi (much better fresh than processed powder form) raw ginger and sometimes other pickles. It often also includes some radish and fresh leaves. Rice certainly doesn't come with sashimi traditionally and I have never seen it served this way. You may find westernised dishes such as sashimi with rice, but sashimi as a dish is just sliced raw fish.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Oh - another thing I agree with collyk on... salmon roe (that I tried at least) was AWFUL!

My reality check bounced.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.