Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
U
After hearing this, I think about the children of San Pedro, and how they could all become victims to these so called 'sting rays.' I feel that all sting rays in and around San Pedro should be destroyed for the sake of the people. A relocation will not work! We have to get rid of them, and do it fast before someone gets attacked. People feed these things down at the lagoon around sunset, and its just a matter of time.

I hope you are (hic) trying to be funny. What kind of ray got Irwin? There are several varieties.

whaddaya mean yer all outta Jack's?
C
C
actually my dad told me today that this happened on AC about 20 to 25 years ago, he said that a local man was intoxicated and swam out off one of the docks in town where they had a sting ray trapped and the man picked up the sting ray and the barb got him and killed him, true story

L
L
You might be thinking of Ramon. He survived , but had a really serious laceration to his leg which became infected and required hospitalization . He very nearly lost his leg and still bears the scars.

R.B. Mernitz
Short Offline OP
OP Offline
It was a Bull Stingray, probably weighing around 220 lbs - Steve was swimming above the ray, while Peter West was filming in front of the animal that became frightened, and spiked him in the chest.

Live and let live
A very sad day , I enjoyed watching his show.
Agree with BCD, very rarely does someone die from the sting,however they say any sting to the trunk area of the body can be fatal. The barb has a lot of protein in it and will cause a very serious infection.

Steve died doing what he loved to do. God bless him & his family.

R.I.P. Steve,
Thanks for all the great memories,
Jerry W.

As a proffesional diver for more than 18 years the comment by UDW is absolutely ridiculous Sting Rays thats are familiar with divers etc and are fed are much more at ease around divers and snorkelers and much much less likeley to use its barb as they are not nervous or afraid when being fed the opposite is the fact.

The ray that stung irwin was a wild Stingray not familiar with human interaction and as it was surrounded it obviously felt threatened and defended its self.

Cayman islands has a HUGE stingray attraction as does San Pedro and neither has had a Stingray fatality with millions of visitors that have enjoyed it.

you can be sure that Steve Irwin would never condone or agree with that statement as it is obviously written by a person that has no knowledge of the subject and is a victim of bad reporting such as some of the news channels that have used this tragedy to make out a Stinray is a vicious sea monster that will attack at the blink of an eye when in reality the truth is the exact opposite its a shy creature that will mind its own business if you mind yours.

Fatality deaths caused by stingrays whihc have been recorded number between 3-17 thats number is so miniscule it clearly shows that Stingrays are not in any way to be feared just respected.

C
C
I agree stingrays are about as dangerous as a puppy. I have hooked several over the years while fishing and have even managed to hold them against the boat with the help of a friend while I removed the hook.
It's sad to lose someone who was such a spokesperson for the enviornment.

I have been trying to put together a scenario that would involve a stingray stinger entering under the ribcage (according to a report I saw this morning on the internet)and hitting the heart. The stingrays I have observed don't have a lot of control regarding the stinger, it appears to raise up above the tail at a fairly shallow angle. I might surmise it was more a case of him impaling himself on the stinger rather than the ray attacking him. We did the Grand Cayman stingray thing about ten years ago, and noticed most of the rayse had their stingers missing.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Under Da Water - you are an idiot.
Sorry to be so blunt but you don't destroy innocent creatures because you want to
make a playground of THEIR home and because of a freak accident on the other side of the world.
Idiot mad

Time flys - have fun!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.