Page 5 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28
#205692 11/10/06 11:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
wink

#205693 11/10/06 11:45 AM
law - you are on fire today, girl! yeah, i saw it once, know the concept. creepy to me, i ain't the kind that has any interest in sharing my man.

early marriages also, in addition to all law stated regarding ownership, often had to do with dowry, or political or business gain, ie, two sultans or regents wedding their offspring.

#205694 11/10/06 11:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
why thank you Janie! smile I don't own a TV, but have a Netflix subscription and for some reason have become facinated with that show. Don't know exactly what it is, but I'm almost done with the first season.

#205695 11/10/06 12:00 PM
K
KB Offline
K
Bobber - marraige has always been and will always be about property. Women needed marraige to give them a guarantee of property rights - something single women were not allowed in most countries until recently (last 100 years). Like most things.....it's about the money stupid!!! Common law marraige and same sex marraige are not recognized in most states so not only are gay couples not protected, neither are women who live in a common law arrangement. All the talk about "family values" is a bunch of crap - a legal contract is the only way to protect the interests of both parties and that is what a marraige is.

#205696 11/10/06 12:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Historically a woman's right to inherit real property terminated upon divorce, so even marriage offered no guaranteed protection. In California, real property held in joint title was legally presumed to belong to the male. This was true as recently as 1975, still is true in some states.
Likewise, in many states present day criminal penalties for having sex with a minor are much harsher if it's the neighbor's kid. Growing your own victim entitles you to much less severe sanctions, a holdover from the days when children were viewed merely as property.

#205697 11/10/06 12:08 PM
Just my three cents' worth but I have a bigger stake this time....my 20 year old nephew is coming to US from Okinawa next month for two weeks, then it's off to Iraq.....great kid....I worry about him even now and he hasn't even gone yet.
The quote below is about Vietnam, but hmmm sounds like.................
"This war started off as a nation building exercise within the context of the Cold War as early as the 1950s. The US began to set in place diplomatic missions aimed at creating a US friendly puppet govermnent based on a prior success in the Philippines. The Eisenhower administration, under the influence of Allen and John Foster Dulles meddled in local politics and stood in opposition to what would have been a successful national election of Ho Chi Minh in 57. We also made the mistake of supporting the French in their attempt to re-take their former colony of Indo China.

It's the ultimate hypocrisy that rather than respecting the political process of national elections, the CIA and State Dept found a local leader (DIEM) who would act as a political figurehead and maintain a regime aligned to US interests The country divided and under an escalating civil war, the US began gradually building up a military advisor presence, directing relocation and control of the local population, and training the ARVN forces to combat the growing resistance.
This whole thing was tragically avoidable. I am mindful of the parallels to the war in Iraq. Again, America has betrayed herself and again we have been lied to. "

David Halbertsom, The Best And The Brightest, A Bright and Shining Lie,
Barbara Tuchman, The March of Folly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change your Latitude
#205698 11/10/06 12:09 PM
law, explain to me how your netflix subscription works without a tv?

(i netflix too, LOVE it. just started Weeds now, did all of scrubs, ab fab, coupling, curb your enthusiasm, dead like me, etc. LOVE it!)

kb - good points, historically speaking. (sounds like you are not a fan of marriage, tho). agree with you that family values have little to do w/ marriage. conversely, boyfriend & i said vows alone on a beach a year ago, and stuck to them as if married, just no legal benefits. and had nothing to do with money, as i am more 'comfortable' than he is.

all very interesting information.

#205699 11/10/06 12:12 PM
dang, this thread is moving so fast i am falling behind...

#205700 11/10/06 12:14 PM
What is this? Marriage has evolved since biblical times? What a bunch of hogwash. :p
I am glad it is done evolving wink

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
#205701 11/10/06 12:16 PM
Originally posted by shuffles:

It's the ultimate hypocrisy that rather than respecting the political process of national elections, the CIA and State Dept found a local leader (DIEM) who would act as a political figurehead and maintain a regime aligned to US interests The country divided and under an escalating civil war, the US began gradually building up a military advisor presence, directing relocation and control of the local population, and training the ARVN forces to combat the growing resistance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now the US is screwing around with Venezuela, a nation with a democratically elected leader.

Page 5 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.