Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28
#205862 11/13/06 08:36 PM
nova'nuts-it works because you have an extremely high tax rate across the board, income,GST, goods etc. Here's the cold hard facts. We spend buckets of money here on our military, which also protects Canada. Granted, we probably have way more enemies worldwide (thus all you Canadians wearing maple leaf patches while travelling to avoid any confusion!)than Canada. But no one messes with you guys because they know Big Brother will kick the crap out of them!
So if we could get socialized medicine, better schools and a higher standard of living that would be great, but you guys up north will have to defend us by upping your military budget a few hundred billion dollars and police the world.

Dislaimer-No beavers or moose were harmed in the posting of this opinion!

#205863 11/13/06 09:40 PM
Bobber, so true. I find in my line of work, there are quite a few that come in to buy product, and ask me (if I can speak Their language)Nope, No Speak Espanole! Then they rattle off English pretty darn good! Go figure.

Take the road less traveled
#205864 11/13/06 10:36 PM
A
A
I was a dual citizen (American/Canadian)while I was growing up. I chose to have American citizenship because I had grown up here and loved this country.

Although I am a very proud American, I will also be the first to say we need to be less arrogant and learn from other countries. Contrary to popular belief, the USA does not always have the best answers to every issue. We can learn much from our friends to the north and our friends in Europe...but first we must learn to listen.

#205865 11/13/06 10:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
hear, hear

#205866 11/13/06 11:15 PM
Canada has one-tenth the population of the US. One of the reasons our taxes are so high is because our country is as large as yours and so we have 1/10th the population supporting the infrastructure.

I live in Alberta, we have no provincial tax here and GST is 6%. Actually, GST is 6% in Nova Scotia too but Mrs. Nuts added in their high provincial tax.

Last year, I spent 7 days in ICU, on a bunch of different machines, all kinds of drugs were poured into me . . .never cost me a dime. Oh yeah, and my wait in Emergency was about 10 minutes.

Of course, I did arrive at around 10 a.m. on a Wednesday morning. The wait probably would have been a lot worse on a Friday evening, or if I hadn't been dying.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#205867 11/13/06 11:39 PM
The sands project up north will keep Alberta booming...are the other provinces still trying to get your revenue? When Alberta was in the doldrums financially a decade ago I didn't see BC or Ontario lining up to help!
A pal had to get 4 stiches from a puck a few years ago in Toronto. We waited in the ER an hour a stitch. Not life, but looks threatening! :p
The ER there was really packed, a monday late morning, with the same lame BS we have here in the states.
I think Canada is about 15-20 years away from most of our problems here. Who ever thought that Calgary would ever need a ghetto bird, and Vancouver and Toronto are no picnic in some areas also.
Is your income tax around 44%?
What was killing you?? Sounded rough! eek

#205868 11/14/06 12:09 AM
One can only hope it will keep us booming. Yes, the other provinces and the feds always want a piece of us. And yes, you've got that right about the offers of help. Still and all, I have divided feelings about the whole thing. We are one country. It seems a shame that smaller or financially weaker provinces suffer while we prosper. As it is, there are people flocking to us. There are all kinds of jobs, but no place to live. How we end up with 'out-of-work' homeless people is what confuses me.

We got the 'copter when a police officer was run down during a chase on the freeway. His family started the fund. It can be kind of annoying (yet reassuring) when it's flapping around above my house, and I don't live anywhere near the "ghetto". Vancouver and Toronto are still worse than here, by a wide margin.

Yes, my income tax is in that neighborhood.

They never did find out what was causing the problem, but whatever it was gave me "diffuse pneumonia" and/or ARDS. Amazing that they can cure something that they can't figure out, isn't it?

It was scary. Frankly, I'm still a bit scared from time to time. Since they don't know what caused it, I never know if or when it may strike again.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#205869 11/14/06 08:58 AM
JZB Offline
If everyone in the US who can afford health insurance is paying for all the people who can't afford it, why not socialize it? It seems in a round about way that is how its working out anyway.

I'm with Nova, I've used both systems and the Canadian system is by far superior to the US system. I've never had to wait for anything in Toronto. In Texas, I had to wait 2 hours just to see my regular doctor, plus pay close to $600/mo for our health insurance plus a copay, plus it was such impersonalized service.
Taxes are high in Canada but it works out in the end. $600 a month in the US is nothing to sneeze at either.

#205870 11/14/06 09:05 AM
Good to see this conversation desertrat and sun&sand. So many of us go to emergency for a real emergency only to see the guy you usually see begging at the nearest stoplight and talking to himself being treated before you. In any event we don't understand what is going on in ER's. I waited 1.5 hrs suffering from a kidney stone, my first so I didn't know what it was but the person who signed me in said It's a kidney stone" while people came in with a cold, a sick baby, a narc obviously wanting a fix all went before me. I don't know what the answer is either, public medicine has it's drawbacks as listed above. BTW -- the next kidney stone I knew what it was....stayed home, took a couple pills and 10 short hours later...it passed. Why go to ER and clog the system more.

I know someone whose child is on Medicade who constantly goes to the ER or to the doctor with the child. And I mean CONSTANTLY!!! But her other child who is not on medicade (don't know why?) never goes. Can anyone see through this glass? Every time she goes I feel like just giving her a check in exchange for her giving the kid a tylenol. She always brings me that work letter desertrat was talking about. Meanwhile telling me about the big screen TV they just bought or their new clothes washer or how all the toys can't fit into her childs room. BARF

#205871 11/14/06 10:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
reaper - Are the beavers, moose, trees and miles of nothing part of that expensive infrastructure ss is talking about?
If Hillary has her way with a Demo' Congress socialized med. is just around the corner. If so, that "change" the Dems were talking about will be the only thing left in our pockets.
Its "socialized" enough(Medicade/Medicare) tweek it-improve it but leave it be.

Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.