Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
When we talk about the Hotel Zone in Cancun we are talking about the 28 kilometer stretch from downtown to basically Parque Nizuc. This is where we were informed and have confirmed that information to be correct.

Now that is a projection based on I guess information from various agencies like the National and Local Weather Service, Civil Defense, and Military information. I don't imagine that they took that off the top of their head.

Also, Gaby told me that the Governor of Quintana Roo also included that in his briefing at 10 PM to the press corps in Chetumal.

Also the President is advancing more Military assistance as well as medical and emergency staff from other parts of Mexico immediately and I know that someone asked about Valladolid? That is currently the staging area for Military and Red Cross Staff. Food and Water is there 35,000 dispensas and there are 15,000 more on the way.

Moon Palace is not in Cancun proper, it is on the highway south of Cancun between the Airport and Puerto Morelos but closer to Cancun than Puerto Morelos.

Right now the Eye of the Hurricane is over Puerto Morelos or beginning to pass over Puerto Morelos. Still Cozumel is in Calm as is Playa Del Carmen. That should end in the next hour or so.

ipdate=
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 02:15:15

The large glass sliders facing the beach are whistling as the pressure lowers. I fear they may shatter.

The hurricane shutters have kept up well till now, but the high pitched squealing now echoing from the glass doors is scary.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
HURRICANE WILMA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 27A
1 AM CDT SAT OCT 22 2005

...LARGE EYE OF EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE WILMA OVER PLAYA DEL
CARMEN ON THE NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN PENINSULA...RELENTESSLY POUNDING
CANCUN AND COZUMEL...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SAN FELIPE TO CHETUMAL ON
THE YUCATAN PENINSULA...INCLUDING COZUMEL AND THE NEARBY ISLANDS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE
PROBABLY DECREASED TO NEAR 135 MPH...215 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.
WILMA REMAINS A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...AND TROPICAL
STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 200 MILES...

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 935 MB.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 7 TO 11 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS... ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...

WILMA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE 10 TO 20 INCHES OF RAIN THROUGH
SUNDAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN CUBA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA...
WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 40 INCHES POSSIBLE.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
list of hotels and where they evacd in cancun
http://www.proteccioncivil-qroo.gob.mx/Varios/bj.htm#TUR%CDSTICA

or here in english
http://www.cancuntravelonline.com/news/shelters.php

COZUMEL FRI EVENING
The eye of the storm passed over Cozumel, but they only received about 5 minutes of calm, instead of the six to seven hours that had been predicted. It' s hard to imagine that these people have been going through this for almost 24 hours now with at least 12 hours left to go before the hurricane finally gets caught up in westerly winds and moves toward Florida.

The hurricane has stalled and has barely moved since about 4pm. Although many of the television satellite images are showing the eye inland from Cancun, our calculations using latitude and longitude readings from National Hurricane Center flights combined with the latitude and longitude readings we have to make our maps, show that the eye of the hurricane is located in shallow waters just in front of Mayan Palace resort (www.mayanpalace.com). By the time that you read this it will be on the beach, or located on top of the hotel. The hurricane is currently only moving at 3 mph.

Back to Adrian. We discussed the potential condition of the island. He's pretty sure that the east side of the island will be gone. We are worried that not only will the buildings be damaged, but that the land will actually be gouged out. The road along the eastern shore had just been rebuilt and is sure to be gone. Adrian's biggest concern was as the hurricane passed. The winds changed traveling from north to south, pushing waves into the northwest shore hotels like Melia Cozumel (www.meliacozumel.solmelia.com) and El Cozumeleno (www.elcozumeleno.com). As the hurricane moved farther across the channel the winds changed again and began traveling from west to east, bringing waves to the entire western side of the island. We heard reports of cars floating near the seawall as the waves crashed over onto avenue Melgar that runs along the oceanfront in downtown.

When you talk to people, you can hear the frustration in their voices. They are ready for this to be over with. I have actually had very little luck getting through to people. Tony's (www.scubatony.com) cell service has been down since about noon, and Adrian's service works only sporadically (probably due to high usage). They feel a little reasurred knowing what the hurricane is doing even though it isn't positive news.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
HURRICANE WILMA ADVISORY NUMBER 28
4 AM CDT SAT OCT 22 2005

...CALM OF THE EYE STILL FELT IN PLAYA DEL CARMEN...WILMA REALLY
CLOBBERING NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN...

AT 4 AM CDT...0900Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE WILMA WAS LOCATED
INLAND OVER NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN NEAR LATITUDE 20.9 NORTH...
LONGITUDE 87.2 WEST ABOUT 25 MILES...45 KM SOUTHWEST OF CANCUN.

WILMA IS STATIONARY BUT A GRADUAL NORTHWARD DRIFT SHOULD BEGIN LATER
TODAY. ON THIS TRACK...THE CORE WILMA WILL CONTINUE TO SEVERELY
POUNDING PORTIONS OF THE EXTREME NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN PENINSULA ALL
DAY TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED NEAR 125 MPH...205 KM/HR...
WITH HIGHER GUSTS. WILMA IS NOW A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 200 MILES...325 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 935 MB...27.61 INCHES.

LEVELS... ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...

WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 40 INCHES POSSIBLE.

LARGE SWELLS GENERATED BY WILMA HAVE PROPAGATED WELL INTO THE
EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO. THESE SWELLS WILL LIKELY AFFECT PORTIONS
OF THE NORTHERN GULF COAST TODAY.

REPEATING THE 4 AM CDT POSITION...20.9 N... 87.2 W. MOVEMENT
...STATIONARY. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...125 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL
PRESSURE...935 MB.

S
S
WTNT34 KNHC 221200
TCPAT4
BULLETIN
HURRICANE WILMA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 28A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
7 AM CDT SAT OCT 22 2005

...RELENTLESS HURRICANE FORCE WINDS AND HEAVY RAINS CONTINUE OVER
NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN...
...EYE LOCATED JUST INLAND BETWEEN CANCUN AND COZUMEL...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SAN FELIPE TO CHETUMAL ON
THE YUCATAN PENINSULA...INCLUDING COZUMEL AND THE NEARBY ISLANDS.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING AND A HURRICANE WATCH REMAIN IN EFFECT FROM
WEST OF SAN FELIPE TO CELESTUN.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE PROVINCES OF LA
HABANA...CIUDAD DE LA HABANA...PINAR DEL RIO...AND THE ISLE OF
YOUTH. A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT IN CUBA FOR THE
PROVINCES OF MATANZAS WESTWARD THROUGH PINAR DEL RIO...AND FOR THE
ISLE OF YOUTH.

A HURRICANE WATCH WILL LIKELY BE REQUIRED FOR PORTIONS OF THE
CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN FLORIDA PENINSULA AND THE FLORIDA KEYS LATER
TODAY.

ALL INTERESTS IN THE FLORIDA KEYS AND THE FLORIDA PENINSULA SHOULD
CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE WILMA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 7 AM CDT...1200Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE WILMA WAS LOCATED
INLAND OVER NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN NEAR LATITUDE 21.0 NORTH...
LONGITUDE 87.0 WEST ABOUT 10 MILES... 15 KM WEST-SOUTHWEST OF CANCUN
AND ABOUT 415 MILES... 665 KM... SOUTHWEST OF KEY WEST FLORIDA.

WILMA IS DRIFTING NORTHWARD... AND A CONTINUED SLOW NORTHWARD MOTION
IS EXPECTED TODAY. ON THIS TRACK...THE CORE OF WILMA WILL CONTINUE
TO SEVERELY POUND PORTIONS OF THE EXTREME NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN
PENINSULA ALL DAY TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED NEAR 120 MPH... 195 KM/HR...
WITH HIGHER GUSTS. WILMA IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME ADDITIONAL WEAKENING IS EXPECTED TODAY
WHILE WILMA IS OVER LAND.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 200 MILES...325 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 943 MB...27.85 INCHES.

LEVELS... ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...WILL
CONTINUE NEAR AND TO THE NORTH OF THE EYE ALONG ON THE NORTHEASTERN
YUCATAN PENINSULA.

WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 40 INCHES POSSIBLE. RAINFALL ACROSS
SOUTHERN FLORIDA IS EXPECTED TO BE 4 TO 8 INCHES... WITH ISOLATED
TOTALS AROUND 10 INCHES THROUGH TUESDAY.

LARGE SWELLS GENERATED BY WILMA HAVE PROPAGATED WELL INTO THE
EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO. THESE SWELLS WILL LIKELY AFFECT PORTIONS
OF THE NORTHERN GULF COAST TODAY.

REPEATING THE 7 AM CDT POSITION...21.0 N... 87.0 W. MOVEMENT
...DRIFTING NORTHWARD. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH. MINIMUM
CENTRAL PRESSURE...943 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
10 AM CDT.

FORECASTER KNABB

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
6am Sat
Hurricane "Wilma" a Dangerous Category "3" Hurricane remains stalled over the area northwest of Puerto Morelos and west southwest of Cancun. The Hurricane is still not moving.

Isla Mujeres has reported an unprecidented 156 cm of rain (translates to roughly 5.2 feet of rain in the last 24 hours. 3 times the most rainfall on record from a Hurricane.

The Dangerous Bands of Convection that we were talking about yesterday to pass over Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen are Stationary there since hours and are dumping massive amounts of rain and pounding the area with 200 to 240 kph winds.

Currently there are no steering winds to push Wilma and a cold front coming down seems to have stopped her forward motion all together.

Seas have reached or are at 27 feet in the area of Isla Mujeres, Cancun, and the Riviera Maya.

==========

9am Sat

I just got through to my Ex-Wife in Cancun who is in our house downtown hunkered down with another gal from Ultra Femme in Cancun riding out the storm. She is trying to save battery so the conversation was brief. The noise in the background made my heart sink. It is a horrific sound and she said please just tell me how much more of this.

When I told her that the storm stalled and there was going to be at the least another 24 hours she just started to cry. They cannot sleep, water is coming in through the windows, doors, and even through the walls. She said they cannot see anything right now but the street is flooded nearly to the door. She thinks that they lost one of the water tanks on the roof as there is one that she says looks like ours floating in front of the house.

Again, the sound is terrible, I have been through several hurricanes but ususally I was out on the street working and taking shelter in open buildings nothing closed and boarded up.

Just finishing translation of a short briefing issued by Governor of Quintana Roo about Cozumel.

COZUMEL Q.ROO

"The first point of impact in Quintana Roo and for that matter Mexico was the Island Of Cozumel located off the coast of Quintana Roo near the resort destination of Playa Del Carmen. "Wilma" came across Cozumel as a Category 4 Hurricane causing massive devestation according to preliminary information I am receiving"

"The Civil Protection from Quintana Roo is reporting that the winds took down and caused severe damage to houses and businesses including those that had protection and re-inforcement against Hurricanes."

Additionally Signs, posts, electrical poles were blown away and some vehicles were overturned and swept away as well.

The Principal streets and avenues are flooded with waters of 4 to 5 feet and there are dozens of boats with damage. There was also a that washed almost a mile of highway into the ocean on the "backend of the Island"

As of right now officials in Cozumel have not reported any serious injuries nor deaths.

the governor for the region was just on CNN by phone, and he said that they still have some phone service, even on cozumel. He reported only 2 deaths so far, and that were 2 of the family of 7 who got burned in the explosion in PlayaCar. I guess he wasn't aware of the lady who got electrocuted.
=============

2pm Sat
Hotel Cozumel reports winds still too strong to go outside but begining to drop in speed. Building has sustained glass damage but no structual damage. Have food and water for 14 days. All guests still in hotel's shelters and doing well.

We have just heard that the road from tulum to akmual and on to puerto is clear . puerto is not too bad the golf course is flooded chalcal seems to have had less damage that might have been expected

Just received a telephone call from my good friend in Cozumel. 1:45pm est. Amazing she still had telephone service. Her family is safe but exhausted and very upset. She said there has been no let up since 9pm Thurs and the wind and rain have been relentless. She wanted to know when it was all going to end. She indicated this storm was much worse than Gilbert in 88. She is only getting weather updates by calling the states. It broke my heart to have to tell her they had several more hours before it finally starts to settle down. She will try to call later and I will try to get some specifics concerning damage reports.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:21

We were without power since very early this morning, when the generator was turned off, in order to save gas. It just came back on, so here I am online.

I have snapped a few photos of the devastation, but I have heard reports that other parts of the hotel zone are in much worse shape, with some hotels having "sand dunes" in the lobby.

Once the winds die down tomorrow I will be venturing down the road to take a few photos of the damaged buildings.
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgVqMFRfLPY5.jpg

http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgMl0FPUf5g8.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgWhJ7UKAT74.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgbQabfGuuOM.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgaoRi7O49V6.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgTU6shL1Bir.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgISHqU8xFQQ.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgeMMzaqEsxa.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgBUR829MIxL.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgmF7XqT6c0p.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgt5LaClux0a.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgCJJGEjZFaS.jpg
http://stormcarib.com/reports/2005/jpgfm7PlJivNM.jpg

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Pt. Morelos, 4pm

I just talked to M...... miraculously her phone line is still in operation. They are all safe in her house, although water has come in and it's a constant battle to keep up with it, she reports other homes with 2 metros of water in them.. Information was sketchy, and am not certain where the info is coming from.. please take this information " as is" since again it sounds like it's coming to her via neighbors, phone calls she is receiving.. she says parts of homes are floating down the street in the colonia, mostly the " lamina" homes we are all familiar with. She says the weather is still horrible, wind, rain, and asked us how much longer they would have to endure this!!! Her nerves are shot, she hasn't slept.. and says that there is no way for even the military to get in to the port side of town.. hoping to get boats in when possible... she says this is worse then Gilbert and she went through that one. I am certain the extent of the damages will not be known for some time yet, as accessibility is zero in and out of PM.. She has seen a few people moving around in waste deep water in front of her home.. the connection was not good so I was unable to get many details.. but will try her again this evening to see if we can get a better connection and I can get more details. Buit did want to let you all know that Maria and her family are all safe at this time.. wish I could get more information .. ...... We are trying to reach our other extended "family" in the colonia to no avail.. it was a miracle to get M...!!! Haven't been able to communicate with any of our friends in Cancun yet either.. as soon as I have any more contact with anyone I'll get back to you.. M.. seems to feel that the damage will be more than we imagine in Playa and PM as well as Cancun.

cancun 6pm
There's been some major structural damage to many of the high-rises in the Cancun Hotel zone.

Entire floors in the upper floors of the high-rises have been completely blown out!

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The most extreme winds of the eyewall have now been battering Cozumel and the mainland Yucatan Peninsula for over 30 hours. Sustained winds of 100 - 140 mph affecting a built-up resort area like Cozumel/Cancun for so long must have done extreme damage. Wilma has weakened to a Category 2 hurricane with 100 mph winds. Still, the damage to Mexico will increase today as structures already weakened by 30 hours of relentless winds continue to receive another 12 hours of stress.

The eye of very dangerous Category 2 Hurricane Wilma is moving offshore the Yucatan mainland this evening, a little earlier than I expected. This makes it more likely Wilma will be a bit stronger at landfall in Florida Monday--perhaps a strong Category 2 with 105 mph winds. We are not good at making intensity forecasts, and Wilma could easily be a Category stronger--or weaker. The argument for a weaker hurricane goes like this: Wilma's inner eyewall has collapsed, leaving an outer eyewall with diameter 80 miles in place. When an inner eyewall collapses like that, it usually takes at least a day for the eyewall to reform, and by a day from now, Wilma will start experiencing increased wind shear which will weaken her down to a Category 1.

The argument for a stronger hurricane goes like this: Wilma still has a large, intact circulation, and is still a Category 2 hurricane. She will not follow the usual normals (since this is the Hurricane Season of 2005, after all), and will re-intensify quickly over the warm waters that nurtured her rise to Category 5 status this week. By late Sunday, she will be a Category 3 hurricane again, and large enough and fast moving enough that the shear affecting her will be unable to significantly weaken her. Wilma will make landfall as a major hurricane on Florida's west coast.

So, both scenarios are plausible, and Florida must be prepared for the arrival of a major hurricane on Monday. Landfall anywhere between Sarasota and the Keys is possible.

A deluge of rain
Rainfall amounts in Mexico from Wilma have been extreme. Isla Mujeres, just offshore from Cancun, has reported almost 35" of rain over the past 1 1/2 days, and at one point reported 4" of rain in one hour between 2 and 3 am EDT today. Rainfall amounts in Cuba have not been nearly so extreme--at least in the areas of western Cuba that are still reporting data. San Juan y Martinez measured 10.7 cm (4.2 inches) of rain the past 24 hours, and storm total rainfall amounts of up to 18 cm (7 inches) have been measured in Cuba's westernmost province. Grand Cayman received five inches, Jamaica's Kingston airport eight inches, and Belize four inches. The north coast of Honduras has had numerous locations receive ten inches of rain, with one unofficial report of 20 inches. Rainfall in Haiti reached 8 - 10 inches, and, triggered flash floods that killed 11 people.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

Kevin, from his StormCarib site has additional pix of Cancun. Made me sick looking at them. StormCarib.com

It's been a wild weekend. I have a nephew trying to get back, who was originally on Cozumel, evacuated to a mainland shelter, and according to a phone call home to his Ma, is being bussed to Merida, and flown to Houston from there.

My heart breaks for the folks of this area, it looks so damn devasting, and I cannot even imagine how long it will take to rebuild.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.