Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#207874 10/08/06 06:36 AM
OP Offline
When people ask me when is rainy season in Belize - my answer is "October". The sun does shine in October, but the rains are impressive as the last few days illustrate. My guess is that at least 1/4 of the year's rain falls in this one month.

Yesterday the rains were torrential and cold. Last night the winds were very strong.
It's cleared up a bit just now, but the predictions are for more rain. If you are planning a trip to Belize in the next week, pack rain gear and lots of good books. "Roads" in San Pedro are more like a series of lakes connected by strips of mud.

Teh GOOD news is that Blue Water Grill re-opened after a week's vacation !

See comments from NHC below:

......... the long range models are forecasting a system to develop in the western Caribbean and southern Gulf of Mexico around October 21st or 22nd and move east-northeast affecting southern Florida on October 23rd. This is very possible because the MJO is forecasted to turn to a more conducive cycle for tropical development in this area by the mid to late part of this month.

#207875 10/08/06 06:41 AM
OP Offline
Correction (yes, already!)
The quote above is from the Crown Weather blog.

NHC's commentary follows:

NUMEROUS STRONG THUNDERSTORMS ALSO ARE OVER THE
CARIBBEAN SEA WATERS AND COASTAL AREAS OF NICARAGUA AND HONDURAS
FROM 11N TO 12N BETWEEN 80W AND 82W...AND FROM 11N TO 16N
BETWEEN 81W AND 84W. ALL THIS PRECIPITATION IS OCCURRING UNDER
THE UPPER LEVEL RIDGE...AND WITH BROAD SURFACE LOW PRESSURE.
THIS IS THE AREA OF THE CARIBBEAN SEA WHERE TROPICAL CYCLONES
MAY FORM CLIMATOLOGICALLY SPEAKING AT THIS TIME OF YEAR.

#207876 10/08/06 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info. We arrive Oct. 16, sounds ducky!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
#207877 10/09/06 09:58 AM
B
B
We are coming the 14th but the update says there are signs of improved weather-looks like the storm is coming to us in south texas!

#207878 10/11/06 10:56 AM
T
T
Thanks Diane: I have asked about the weather in December and would like your input. I have already booked the trip so I guess it will be in the hands of the weather gods. I will be arriving on the 10th of December until the 17th.
We plan to do a lot of relaxing but would enjoy a nice tan. We are also planning on a little snorkeling as well as reef fishing and flats fishing. Oh yeah a massage or two.

Thanks
Toni

#207879 10/11/06 12:13 PM
OP Offline
December is a transition month - weather on any given day could be just about anything (except probably not 95 F - that level of heat does not generally happen in Dec).

Water temps should be good, nights will be cooler for sleeping.

We could have a cold front, a sunny day or a rainy day - or all three events in 24 hours.

The only December bummer really is that it's sand fly season on Ambergris Caye. Sand flies (or fleas - I never quite learned which it is)are those pesky bity tiny no-seeums that hurt when they bite and make you look like you have measles. THOSE guys.
They are mostly an evening thing - and can come right through the window screens. Even if it's not very hot your best defence is to close windows and turn on the AC. Outdoors, use deet if the "other" stuff does not work in repelling them.

Another excellent item - the "Vape" machine!! Buy in supermarkets here - they work. A small plastic box with a little metal plate on it - plug it in, place a "vape mat" (small piece of treated cardboard) on the metal, and it slowly warms and releases a pleasant smelling something into the air - voila, NO bugs. Worth every penny.

If you do get bit (and you probably will eventually) there are some excellent itch remedies - one is called "Itch-A-Way" and is straight hemp oil. The other is Jungle Salve from Rainforest Remedies. Either one of these items provides virtually instan relief. Both are available in San Pedro and probably at the Internatinal Airport in Ladyville (check the gift shops in the departure lounge). Buy this remedy before you need it so you can quickly apply it when the itch hits. You'll be glad you did.

#207880 10/11/06 12:14 PM
OP Offline
PS - its always perfect weather for a massage!

#207881 10/11/06 06:45 PM
We put a few drops of baby oil in the foot baths which also seems to keep those pesky sand fleas from biting......just have to remember to put your feet in them! Ditto on the massage weather...

Change your Latitude
#207882 10/12/06 11:54 AM
i hear those bugs are a pain... obviously...

but a friend told me when they went to AC instead of deet or bug spray just to use baby oil! they said that that worked way better than the bug spray... so if the bugs are still buggin' might as well give it a try...

#207883 10/12/06 12:29 PM
T
T
I am staying at Cayo Espanto. They say they have their own spayer that is for mosquitos. I wonder if will work on these little critters?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.