Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#208013 06/26/01 10:02 PM
OP Offline
and the question still remains the same...are there any laws that would prevent a person from killing a croc, if you felt it might be a threat to your own "animals"...i just need an answer not a lecture....have been to AC MANY times...i know the "dog" situation there, but thanks for reminding us!! Please donate to the Saga Society when you're there....Bron would be grateful!! C also, those crocs on AC are known to go from lagoon across land/street to sea, as well as been on the roads etc.....many people have come around street corners and there one would be. Anybody have an answer to original question?????

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 06-26-2001).]

#208014 06/27/01 05:11 AM
You don't want to listen to what I am saying.
I feel the chance of your dogs being taken by an crocidile are slim if your dog is contained. If your intent is to let your animal run free then it will face the hazardous that all animals do. My one dog here in Florida was fortumate to survive three pgymy ratllesnake bites while my other two dogs evidently had the brains to leave them alone. If you feel that you will sleep easier at night killing all the crocs than on the next trip to AC go right to the police station and ask them. I would do two things. First have a second person go in and ask this question. If the answer is yes you can kill the crocs, the you wander in a couple days later verify the info and get something in writing. If the answer is no then at least it can't be said that you were told this information. That way your butt is covered. Ask the vet, they should know what laws are in place.

Just sit down and think of the consquences of the action that you want to take. Does your overwhelming desire to protect your dogs give you the right to take such action.
The croc would vote no, you would vote yes because of your love for your pets. Who was here first. 10 years from now someone might say didn't this place use to have crocs? Whatever happened to them? And it is not just you it's all of us, me included. Do you hear the Belizeans complaining about the crocs or worrying about the problem?

See that is part of the problem with leaving the states and going to other countries. It's our culture, our values, our ideas going to a country that has different ones.
Hard for us not to stir the pot and whisper our ideas in the hopes that the Belizeans will change. I am just as guilty of this as the rest. Very hard to not jump in and just let this country and culture figure out their own solutions to the problems.

So that is my suggestion and I got to give another lecture.
Also seashell is right about the barking dogs, I should have said more likely a bike chaser would meet his demise.
Belizeans are deaf to barking dogs, loud music, crowing roosters and diesel trucks idling for hours at a time. Buy you some earplugs and use them if this drive you nuts.

[This message has been edited by kcbc (edited 06-27-2001).]

#208015 06/27/01 10:21 AM
I personally don't know what the law is. I doubt there is one specifically regarding crocs and what one can or cannot do on one's property. The laws of Belize are now on-line, so if one is interested in spending some time reading dry law books one could find out.

Of course what the local is or is not frankly isn't pertinent. There are laws on the books against cutting mangroves, for example, but that's routinely done, around San Pedro and all over Belize. Having a law on the books, and having it enforced (or enforced consistently) are two different things.

The two crocodile species in Belize are not endangered in Belize, but on the other hand I agree with Karen that crocs were in Belize long before Americans (and their dogs) were, A good steward of the land would not kill a natural creature, one which plays an important role in the ecology, except as a last resort.

Of course we all act irrationally and kill things we are afraid of -- snakes, spiders and such. I myself killed a small, harmless snake last night that was at my back door trying to come in the house. It frightened my daughter so I stepped on it. That was not a good thing to do.

Crocs in Belize certainly do kill dogs from time to, just as alligators in Florida or Louisiana occasionally kill dogs. It is rare for them to bother humans. I recall one incident a few years back near Belize City were a young boy was swimming and was bitten by an "alligator" (as Belizeans call crocs) but I can't think of another recent instance of that happening.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#208016 06/27/01 07:12 PM
OP Offline
thanks Lan....closest thing to an answer yet..got our 1st "BZ Magazine" love it! And believe me kcbc, i love all animals, am a member of PETA and Humane Society..i wouldn't go around killing crocs (or anything) unless it were necessary...hell, i don't even like to kill flies...and normally don't!! Chill my friend...everything gonna be alright....

#208017 06/30/01 12:42 PM
Hi Rick and Cheri: Crocadiles are a protected endangered specie in Belize. I don't know the particular specifics of the law, but I do know its against the law to kill them. We have a BIG fellow out at Laguna Punta and we enjoy seeing him. This being said, a young kid got bit last Saturday when I was leaving. He had to have stitches on his leg and was very fortunate that it wasn't the "BIG GUY". The kid was throwing things at the croc, which any self respecting croc would not like. The best rule I know is respect the fellows, and don't get near the "dark water". Take care: Bill PS. This also applies to pets.

Gone fishing!!
#208018 07/01/01 09:04 AM
OP Offline
Bill, THANK YOU< THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! you're a SWEETHEART!! C Angels to ya! Is this the first time a child was bitten??

#208019 07/01/01 09:20 PM
Bill,

Which of the two species of crocs in Belize are you saying are endangered? Morelets or American? Or both?

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#208020 07/09/01 05:54 PM
OP Offline
A rise on croc attacks in Florida...6 incidents, 2 fatal, in last 3 months. On June 23rd, a 2 yr. old girl was dragged into a lake and drowned and eaten...when 1 croc was killed, 7 dog collars found in stomach (i could go on)..point>when humans and crocs/alligators live too close...a fatality will happen and they will eat your dogs!!! It's just a matter of time

#208021 07/11/01 01:48 AM
Well ... Bill said it first. IT'S ILLEGAL! I would suppose that includes Morlets Crocs as well. (See Wildlife Protection Act 1981)
Audibon will have a copy.

PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"
#208022 07/11/01 01:08 PM
T
T
I am going to be out there in a couple weeks
so now i'am all freaked out about walking down the road day or night and stepping into the jaws of some 15' croc. Sound like fun

Fastik
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.