Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#209195 04/12/03 10:12 AM
OP Offline
The "missus" and I are moving to Belize where we would like to spend the rest of our lives. AC seems to the ideal choice for us to move. We have selected a site to build our house on, etc. However we are very ignorant about the laws of Belize, the retirement requirements, specially if we are planning to spend a better part of the year in Belize every year. We are looking to come down there in June and rent a place for about 6 months before we move into our house. Any info regarding the difficulty of acquiring such permits would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of reputable agencies or attorneys who can handle this for us, please let us know.

Thanks in advance

#209196 04/12/03 10:26 AM
Nobody is going to believe my next post-order a copy of Lan Sluder's living in Belize(order on line)-it is full of useful info.
Other than this,my advice,is spend no monies come down here - rent look listen and learn

#209197 04/12/03 10:50 AM
eek

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
#209198 04/12/03 10:52 AM
O
O
That was mighty nice of you there Pedro. I am proud. NO, I do not believe it. smile Whats the catch?

Good Luck to you Wild Horse!!! Best wishes and happy moving. smile

#209199 04/12/03 11:04 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Pedro1:
Nobody is going to believe my next post-order a copy of Lan Sluder's living in Belize(order on line)-it is full of useful info.
Other than this,my advice,is spend no monies come down here - rent look listen and learn
Thanks Pedro. I ordered one last week. I hear a word of caution in your post. We have visited San Pedro a couple of times and we like the place. The land is affordable and right on the ocean. The beach may not be like the Gulf coast of Florida, but I think I can live with that. The builder tells me I can build a pier a couple of hundred feet in the ocean. I am happy with that. Should I be aware of something?

Thanks again

#209200 04/12/03 11:56 AM
Be aware on Ambergris, just as you would be back home USA, when buying and/or building. Listen to your own gut feelings, and then check those feelings out, with the authorities.

Plan your work, and work your plan. Remember "less is more" in Paradise.

Keep a cool hand on your money, do not get carried away with the wonderful Paradise feeling.

Take it slow and easy, you will do just fine.

Dare To Deviate
#209201 04/12/03 12:04 PM
We too are building a home on Ambergris Caye. Having made many trips to Belize over the years I try to spend some time on each trip speaking with people that have relocated there to get their impressions. For many it turns out to be a mistake. Often these are people who gave up everything in the States and moved to start a new life. If you plan to spend only part of the year in Belize as we will, you will be in a better position. You can adjust the length of your time there to whatever you like.
Lan's book, by the way, is very helpful in gathering all the published information regarding relocating to Belize into one source. When it comes to getting specific questions answered you will find that it is not so easy. Many of these programs are in their "formative" stages (the QRP in particular), as as a result the answers are not yet available.

#209202 04/12/03 12:11 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by tincup:
We too are building a home on Ambergris Caye. Having made many trips to Belize over the years I try to spend some time on each trip speaking with people that have relocated there to get their impressions. For many it turns out to be a mistake. Often these are people who gave up everything in the States and moved to start a new life. If you plan to spend only part of the year in Belize as we will, you will be in a better position. You can adjust the length of your time there to whatever you like.
Lan's book, by the way, is very helpful in gathering all the published information regarding relocating to Belize into one source. When it comes to getting specific questions answered you will find that it is not so easy. Many of these programs are in their "formative" stages (the QRP in particular), as as a result the answers are not yet available.
Thanks, Tincup. I had read in one of Lan's on line newspaper regarding buying property in Belize that they have two prices for property, one for Belizeans and the other for the Gringos. We got lucky and picked up some acerage for under 1000/front foot just about 5 miles north of SP.

We are planning to keep our home in the US and will probably spend the summer months here.

#209203 04/17/03 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Wild Horse:
The "missus" and I are moving to Belize where we would like to spend the rest of our lives. AC seems to the ideal choice for us to move. We have selected a site to build our house on, etc. However we are very ignorant about the laws of Belize, the retirement requirements, specially if we are planning to spend a better part of the year in Belize every year. We are looking to come down there in June and rent a place for about 6 months before we move into our house. Any info regarding the difficulty of acquiring such permits would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of reputable agencies or attorneys who can handle this for us, please let us know.

Thanks in advance

#209204 04/17/03 11:17 PM
I'm plannig on moving to San Pedro in may or june for few month's and i was wondering what rent was like for an apartment or maybe a 2 bedroom house. I like the apartments that are kind of close to Banyon Bay. What's reasonable for rent? Is there anything inparticular i should know?
Thanks for the help guys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.