Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moving To Belize #209195
04/12/03 10:12 AM
04/12/03 10:12 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 10
Wild Horse Offline OP
 
Wild Horse  Offline OP
The "missus" and I are moving to Belize where we would like to spend the rest of our lives. AC seems to the ideal choice for us to move. We have selected a site to build our house on, etc. However we are very ignorant about the laws of Belize, the retirement requirements, specially if we are planning to spend a better part of the year in Belize every year. We are looking to come down there in June and rent a place for about 6 months before we move into our house. Any info regarding the difficulty of acquiring such permits would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of reputable agencies or attorneys who can handle this for us, please let us know.

Thanks in advance

Re: Moving To Belize #209196
04/12/03 10:26 AM
04/12/03 10:26 AM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 3,035
Pedro1 Offline
.
Pedro1  Offline
Nobody is going to believe my next post-order a copy of Lan Sluder's living in Belize(order on line)-it is full of useful info.
Other than this,my advice,is spend no monies come down here - rent look listen and learn

Re: Moving To Belize #209197
04/12/03 10:50 AM
04/12/03 10:50 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,049
Rockport, Maine
klcman Offline
.
klcman  Offline
eek


_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Re: Moving To Belize #209198
04/12/03 10:52 AM
04/12/03 10:52 AM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 918
BrownsTown
O
o jackie Offline
.
o jackie  Offline
O
That was mighty nice of you there Pedro. I am proud. NO, I do not believe it. smile Whats the catch?

Good Luck to you Wild Horse!!! Best wishes and happy moving. smile

Re: Moving To Belize #209199
04/12/03 11:04 AM
04/12/03 11:04 AM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 10
Wild Horse Offline OP
 
Wild Horse  Offline OP
Quote
Originally posted by Pedro1:
Nobody is going to believe my next post-order a copy of Lan Sluder's living in Belize(order on line)-it is full of useful info.
Other than this,my advice,is spend no monies come down here - rent look listen and learn
Thanks Pedro. I ordered one last week. I hear a word of caution in your post. We have visited San Pedro a couple of times and we like the place. The land is affordable and right on the ocean. The beach may not be like the Gulf coast of Florida, but I think I can live with that. The builder tells me I can build a pier a couple of hundred feet in the ocean. I am happy with that. Should I be aware of something?

Thanks again

Re: Moving To Belize #209200
04/12/03 11:56 AM
04/12/03 11:56 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 7,057
South Texas
Chloe Offline
.
Chloe  Offline
Be aware on Ambergris, just as you would be back home USA, when buying and/or building. Listen to your own gut feelings, and then check those feelings out, with the authorities.

Plan your work, and work your plan. Remember "less is more" in Paradise.

Keep a cool hand on your money, do not get carried away with the wonderful Paradise feeling.

Take it slow and easy, you will do just fine.


Dare To Deviate
Re: Moving To Belize #209201
04/12/03 12:04 PM
04/12/03 12:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 232
Ambergris Caye (part time)
tincup Offline
.
tincup  Offline
We too are building a home on Ambergris Caye. Having made many trips to Belize over the years I try to spend some time on each trip speaking with people that have relocated there to get their impressions. For many it turns out to be a mistake. Often these are people who gave up everything in the States and moved to start a new life. If you plan to spend only part of the year in Belize as we will, you will be in a better position. You can adjust the length of your time there to whatever you like.
Lan's book, by the way, is very helpful in gathering all the published information regarding relocating to Belize into one source. When it comes to getting specific questions answered you will find that it is not so easy. Many of these programs are in their "formative" stages (the QRP in particular), as as a result the answers are not yet available.

Re: Moving To Belize #209202
04/12/03 12:11 PM
04/12/03 12:11 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 10
Wild Horse Offline OP
 
Wild Horse  Offline OP
Quote
Originally posted by tincup:
We too are building a home on Ambergris Caye. Having made many trips to Belize over the years I try to spend some time on each trip speaking with people that have relocated there to get their impressions. For many it turns out to be a mistake. Often these are people who gave up everything in the States and moved to start a new life. If you plan to spend only part of the year in Belize as we will, you will be in a better position. You can adjust the length of your time there to whatever you like.
Lan's book, by the way, is very helpful in gathering all the published information regarding relocating to Belize into one source. When it comes to getting specific questions answered you will find that it is not so easy. Many of these programs are in their "formative" stages (the QRP in particular), as as a result the answers are not yet available.
Thanks, Tincup. I had read in one of Lan's on line newspaper regarding buying property in Belize that they have two prices for property, one for Belizeans and the other for the Gringos. We got lucky and picked up some acerage for under 1000/front foot just about 5 miles north of SP.

We are planning to keep our home in the US and will probably spend the summer months here.

Re: Moving To Belize #209203
04/17/03 11:10 PM
04/17/03 11:10 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 19
houston
blk chine Offline
 
blk chine  Offline
Quote
Originally posted by Wild Horse:
The "missus" and I are moving to Belize where we would like to spend the rest of our lives. AC seems to the ideal choice for us to move. We have selected a site to build our house on, etc. However we are very ignorant about the laws of Belize, the retirement requirements, specially if we are planning to spend a better part of the year in Belize every year. We are looking to come down there in June and rent a place for about 6 months before we move into our house. Any info regarding the difficulty of acquiring such permits would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows of reputable agencies or attorneys who can handle this for us, please let us know.

Thanks in advance

Re: Moving To Belize #209204
04/17/03 11:17 PM
04/17/03 11:17 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 19
houston
blk chine Offline
 
blk chine  Offline
I'm plannig on moving to San Pedro in may or june for few month's and i was wondering what rent was like for an apartment or maybe a 2 bedroom house. I like the apartments that are kind of close to Banyon Bay. What's reasonable for rent? Is there anything inparticular i should know?
Thanks for the help guys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 220 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics72,549
Posts483,982
Members19,716
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019



AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1