Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#209280 04/30/03 03:28 AM
B
brandon Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I was reading through some of the info on the various pages, and am extremely interested in obtaining employment in AC.

I read that it is impossible to obtain employment as a bartender in Belize, but I was wondering if you can bring a different aspect of bartending (being exhibition style... flipping bottles etc...) would I have a better chance of obtaining employment? Right now I run a flair bartending school here in Canada, and bartend for a few different establishments.

If anyone has any info/opinions regarding this, I would love to hear it... I plan on heading out to the island in a couple weeks to see what I can do.

#209281 04/30/03 09:50 AM
Unless it's changed recently, bartending is one of those jobs in Belize for which work permits for non-nationals are not issued. An exception would be if you owned the business.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#209282 04/30/03 09:58 AM
S
S
Doubtful if you could get a work permit to actually tend bar, but you might be able to work out an arrangement to teach your skills to Belizean bar tenders. Check with owner/managers of larger bars in San Pedro Town.

#209283 04/30/03 02:19 PM
C
C
You would not be able to get a work permit as far as I know. But you can teach a few bar flair courses. I can get you set up to do so in Corozal. You can use my bar for the course free of charge. You could get the local bartenders and charge a fee. Maybe 1 day a week for X weeks. I could give you a hand getting the project going. My bartender already do a bit of flair and have their flair bottles & manual ready.
It is an idea to think about.
Check my web site at www.corozal.info

#209284 04/30/03 05:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
My friend is a Flair instructor and judge. He offered to teach a course at Caribe Island in exchange for his room and board. When we checked with the labour dept, we were told that it is illegal to do it behind the bar of an establishment. It would also be illegal to charge for a class. However, if you would like to volunteer to teach a class that was held outside of a bar, then you should be able to do it.
I would love to see some bartenders throwing rum bottles!!!!

#209285 05/01/03 04:59 PM
B
brandon Offline OP
OP Offline
B
it's considered illegal?

So, if I wanted to come down to teach a course for a resort... would I not be able to arrange so I would work bar a few nights per week and then train on the others? Or would I not be allowed behind the bar at all?

#209286 05/01/03 05:08 PM
B
brandon Offline OP
OP Offline
B
ibanole: who is it? I know a lot of the people from North America that compete/judge.

Corozal Bay Inn: I'm definitely interested. Please leave me an e-mail address or contact me @ [email protected] . I'm hoping to make a quick trip to Belize in the next couple of weeks to check out my options.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

#209287 05/01/03 05:10 PM
S
S
You would need a work permit to work as a bartender AT ALL. Violation can get the bar owner a heavy fine, you a heavy fine and deportation.

#209288 05/01/03 05:22 PM
B
brandon Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I think I'm coming across the wrong way... I have absolutely no intentions in working illegally. What I want to do is hopefully bring this style of bartending to increase business and show tourists a better time.

I would hope to be able to teach the current bartenders around the island, but I also want to work bar. It's a style of life that I'm just not ready to give up... it's way too much fun.

#209289 05/01/03 06:50 PM
I don't think your commin off wrong at all brandon, folks are just tellin ya like it is...
HOWEVER, I think your talent would be a cool thing to see around the Island and Belize as a whole!

I have a question though, who is the dude at Cannibals? I never saw him till Jan and he is tending bar, schmoozin big time, and pretty much runnin the place.
Did he hide Jan in a closet? Did HE "buy" pretty recently? eek

I sure miss the old look of Cannibals...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.