Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#210347 02/04/04 11:58 AM
OP Offline
Most people who visit our area are very nice, and overall we enjoy the folks who come to Belize as visitors. "But" even so, a lot of otherwise pleasant people seem unaware of the difference between tourism and tresspassing; beachcombing and theft.
To assist in a better understanding and to encourage a positive relationship between locals and guests, I thought I'd post this set of guidelines about a few things that are really not ok to do ..... (believe me, they all happen way too often!)

Please do NOT:
1. Enter private property (homes, yards, gardens, vacant lots - hotel-rooms/accommodations)without permission. It's not ok where you come from and it's not ok here.
2. Attend weddings and funerals to which you are not invited - these are private affairs, not cultural exhibitions.
3. Walk into local churches in bathing suits, carring food & booze, and/or smoking cigars.
4. Take lawn ornaments from homes & hotels as souvenirs - even we Belize-folks like to keep a conch shell or two around.
5. Take other people's dogs for long walks, abandoning them "somewhere", and/or taking them into your hotel room for a few days. They are pets - they are loved and missed when they vanish.
6. Send your bored and antsy 12-year old out to drive a golf cart up and down the beach for amusement. This ruins the beach-time of everybody else, and it's illegal for anybody to drive under the age of 19 and without a license. A golf-cart is a vehicle that can easily injure/kill babies and pets if improperly handled.

Simply put - Locals as well as tourists deserve to have a nice day every day in paradise.

Thanks for understanding.

Thanks for the fine reminder.

Diane.......AMEN.

Very well stated, Thanks.

Dare To Deviate
Diane:

Your dog, golf cart, one antsy 12-year-old and two of her friends are in the mail and on their way to you as we speak. Sorry. I didn't realize that I was out of line. laugh

One begins to understand the concept of the ugly American (not that other nationalities aren't just as guilty) when one travels to foreign countries. Even here in the states, people seem to think that being on vacation is license to ignore laws, social mores and simple good sense. You provide a good and sensible reminder that, unfortunately, will be ignored by those most guilty. Living in paradise must surely require an elevated level of patience (like Pedro 1 exhibits wink ) and those of you who so graciously tolerate those of us who vacation on your island are to be commended.

Thank you.

* I Go Pogo *
Thanks Diane^^^^^to the top cool

Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.