Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Miss Lena's Belize Bit #3: "Paradise Sloshed"

Even in paradise, sometimes life sucks.

I've been down ill the past several days. Dysentery? Malaria? Typhoid? Yellow Fever? Chagas? Dengue? Snake bite? Flesh-eating Disease?

No. A cold. A lousy, freekin' cold. The last tropical fever I had bothered me less...

Oh, and it's pouring. We're swimming in it. Everything outside is ankle deep in either water or mud. Everything inside is, uh, "limp." (By this time last year we were already having serious trouble with wildfire, so I suppose it's a good thing, but...)

So far this "dry season" has been anything but.

Between the two (the weather, me under same) our fledgling operation has come grinding -- no "squelching" -- to a halt. The "casual labor" crew's been sent home for the week with a complementary day's pay (it'll be at least that long before we can get back on the construction sites), and I'm feeding the permanent staff (all two of them, so far) bits and pieces of this and that to keep them occupied.

We completed the final grading and rocking of both sites yesterday (Monday), just before the weather let loose. Thank goodness...

On the bright side, I have a new companion to help me through this trying time [see photo]. A little black-and-white kitten, male (I think). No name yet. I need to get him to the vet (yes, there actually is one here) soon, as he came with his own set of little companions.

Unfortunately Daniel, my Number One, turns out to be mortally afraid of cats. This has added a slight complication to our daily briefings, as he maneuvers for distance from the highly social and inquisitive creature. I imagine he'll get over it -- he's not particularly afraid of lethal snakes.

. . .

Oh, gee, my thatch just developed a new drip...

Yay.

Might as well be back in Seattle, even the temperature is about right.

Ugh.

On the upside, I don't need to head to the river to go canoeing...

'Lena (I think white fuzz is starting to grow between my toes...)

So sorry miss lena, BUT, you will not catch us feeling sorry for you. i would trade places in a minute. btw, we spend a lot of time ankle deep in mud or water here in houston too!

you gals don't EVEN know what mud season is all about, unless ya live here! :p

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
we wish for mud here in the desert!

fresh out of bar stools, so how about this - I'll toss ya a mudpie, Barb - SPLATTTTTTTTT

thanks! laugh laugh

It must have worked! The Rio Grande which has been dry for 6 months has some water flowing again!

And some people doubt my power............ :rolleyes:

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.