Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Question:

1. Given, Gringo jobs in Belize and Ambergris Caye in particular are scarce; and

2. Given, good-paying jobs in Belize and Ambergris Caye in particular are next to non-existent:

My wife and I have talked before about the "what ifs" of moving to Belize. My wife, good pay, little pay or no pay, would like to use her nursing skills down there if we lived down there part or full-time. She's not seen any nursing jobs advertised. I feel certain that--even if the pay is just peanuts--there's probably a real need for nurses. Does anyone have any thoughts about whether a nurse could find a job on the island--or in Belize as a whole? Yes, we wouldn't want it to be purely volunteer (no pay), but as long as it paid even peanuts it'd be fine.

S
S
For starters: She'd need to be fluent in English, Spanish and mainly Kriol. Then she'd need to be here for awhile to establish contacts. I'm not sure about licensing requirements.

With the new hospital opening in San Pedro, there will be a real need for qualified nurses. You would need to contact the Lion's Club to discuss possibilities and licensing requirements. I disagree that she would HAVE to know Spanish, but it would definitely help.

S
S
The hospital will not be operated by the Lions Club. They have turned it over to the Government of Belize to be a part of the government medical system. It is not considered a full hospital but rather a high level clinic. Many of the doctors are sent from Cuba and do not necessarily know English.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
BelizeLaw,
I have a friend who lives in San Pedro and is a retired nurse. She has tried several times to get a job as a nurse, even offering to volunteer. She has been shut down each and every time, most recently by the GOB. They contend that there are BZ nurses.
But, it never hurts to try....
Cheerz,
Vicki

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm not surprised that a paying job would be hard to find, but amazed that they wouldn't take your volunteer friend, ibanole.

They will take volunteers

S
S
there are currently two hundred and five doctors practicing in Belize, or seven point four to every ten thousand potential patients. On the nursing side, there are four hundred and sixty-five nurses, or seventeen to every ten thousand patients.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.