Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Any experiences you want to share? #211006
01/25/05 11:57 PM
01/25/05 11:57 PM
Catatonic Motivator Offline

Catatonic Motivator  Offline
OK. I'm finished. Right after this.

Y'all (I'm originally a "southerner" from the US, so I can say that properly) go on ahead with your un-thread-related posts and I'll move on to some more literate conversations.

Good God, the original request was for experiences in moving to--or not moving to--Belize. Why would we even conceptually be referring to another thread and bending this to a political debate?

And mim, the lack of common BB etiquette (sticking with the original thread, replying only on or off the BB, et al) is a good lesson for us all.

BDinAZ, I'm not sure...well, actually I'm pretty sure...what your agenda is. Please charter an entire plane and fill it with those promise breakers who promised to leave the first time around when you depart the US for "something better". Please report back in five years or so and let us know how things have worked out.

* I Go Pogo *
Re: Any experiences you want to share? #211007
01/26/05 02:31 AM
01/26/05 02:31 AM
Portsmouth, N.H. USA
mim Offline

mim  Offline
What has led me to my search in Belize?
a bit of a story, but, o.k.
I have a very diverse background focusing in glass art, education and holistic healthcare. Western medicine has lost my respect and I fear should be reserved for traumatic injury and absolute last resort.
My focus to date has been based greatly on eastern philosophy based modalities. A few years ago I had a couple "freaky" experiences ouside of Cancun on a trip there which initiated an interest in Maya's ancient traditions. My research has graciously led me to Dr Rosita Arvigo in Ix Chel and her amazing work. Futher , I have realized that the information I can and will eventually learn from her will not only help my clients profoundly, but myself as well. My glass art has remained a hobby that I only do at this point on a word of mouth basis. I have always said that I have more ideas than I could or would want to do myself. Specifically for Belize, at least to begin with, I have a file of "beginner" simple, easily marketable project ideas that would use as a primary glass source, empty liquor bottles..... which I would think there would be an abundance of.... unless Belize recycles...... which would both surprise and impress me.

I have been in business for myself for the past six years and have had numerous business contacts rave about Belize. I look for "serious" critisisms and find even moderate ones hard to find.

I am also finding the winter increasingly difficult physically.....so being buried in snow, timed with some investment money coming available. I started looking in California first, and yes, here it may be appropriate to admit to being a John Stewart and Daily Show fan, but nothing "felt right"
After conversations with family, I started looking outside the US which led to consider Belize beyond a visit.

Even in reading through some of the Constitution Act of Belize I am impressed in the straight forward clarity of the wording.

"Something better" for me at least, is not dependent on having more than I need materially, it would be the chance to give back.

The big hurdle for me is my youngest child who has not yet finished high school and as I do consider his education a priority. Even here the are argruments for both sides since home schooling is an option considering the life experiences. (Children are different and this individual is open to the experience, it would not be good for every child) I am still investigating this since it seems logical that there should be at least one good high school since there is a medical school.

I am planning an trip and will definately share where there are gaps between my expectations and actual experiences. At the very least, I do anticipate being impressed with the knowledge Dr Rosita has to share and it alone being a profound gift. Beyond that I am simply following the serendipity's of life, and when several start guiding in the same direction it can look like a neon sign.
~Mim

Re: Any experiences you want to share? #211008
01/26/05 04:01 AM
01/26/05 04:01 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
B
BDinAZ Offline

BDinAZ  Offline
B
Catatonic,

The irony of your nickname speaks volumes.

Just keep 'sippin' that Kool-Aid and try not to let your nose graze too close to the backside of your fellow sheep, y'all......

Re: Any experiences you want to share? #211009
01/26/05 11:26 AM
01/26/05 11:26 AM
Virginia
Barbara K Offline
Barbara K  Offline
Rosita is just the beginning, and the one who got the word out. Email me....

Re: Any experiences you want to share? #211010
01/26/05 05:48 PM
01/26/05 05:48 PM
Houston, TX
SASSIK Offline
SASSIK  Offline
Let's see if I can address the original question, evoking the least amount of flack from the peanut gallery. I am planning on moving to AC to retire - probably in 5 years or so. Despite some of the above commentary, the tax system or political climate (US or BZE) has nothing to do with my decision.

For me it's quite simple. Four years ago my daughter and son-in-law moved to AC. They visited once and within months chucked it all here and took up residence in AC. They came from high pressure, high stress jobs and were looking for exactly what you find in AC - Belize time, bare feet and no pressure.

After having visited a lot of the world, I can honestly say that even if my offspring were not happily living here, once I experienced the warmth and hospitality of the natives, as well as fellow expats, the great food and the tropical breezes, I can't imagine going anywhere else. I visit at least twice a year; in fact, I'm on my way down in a few weeks. Feel free to come by Crazy Canucks for a cold refreshing beverage.

Sandi
Re: Any experiences you want to share? #211011
02/12/05 11:42 AM
02/12/05 11:42 AM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
G
glenn and cc Offline

glenn and cc  Offline
G
In two weeks when we begin our first trip to Belize, I believe, will be more than a vacation but a life altering experience. I met some fabulous Belizeans in Michigan, who are now dear friends. I have done alot of research and the more I do, the more interesting the whole adventure becomes. This particular post also opened my eyes on the political side that there are people there I have alot in common with~Peace loving Democrats:)

Re: Any experiences you want to share? #211012
02/25/05 01:19 PM
02/25/05 01:19 PM
southern california
W
WhiteWater Offline

WhiteWater  Offline
W
I just returned from Belize, most of our 10 days were spent on Ambergris Caye but we did take the ferry to the mainland to look around for a few hours.

My boyfriend is moving to AC to start a business with his partner, I'm coming along to be with him and live an island life. I had already decided to take several years off, so I don't have the same issues that other people might have with getting a job or starting a business. Here are my issues/thoughts:

-- Do I buy or rent? Or, are there house-sitting opportunities that would not be stealing a job from a belizian? I own property in southern CA in the US, so I don't have an urgent need to own my residence. On the other hand, I'd like to have a modern home/condo with room for friends and family to come stay with us, which is expensive to rent. It *sounds* like a good deal to buy the 2-unit condos so we can live in one and rent the other one weekly when our friends aren't there, but I'm concerned about all the details. Would I end up losing more money than we'd spend if we rented? How tough will it be to sell when I want to do that? Or, can I find people who have a second home and need someone to live in it? We could move to a hotel or stay with our friends when the owners are using it.

-- As a woman, what am I in for? Will I be judged for living with a man I'm not married to? What kind of OB/GYN services are available? Is my method of birth control used/understood there, and what if I get pregnant? Infant and maternal mortality rates seem very high, but stats can be confusing and/or misleading.

-- What am I going to do every day? I love the ocean and reading, and I'm not a hyperactive person, so I'll do better than most people would. But, this is still a concern. The lack of a bookstore is a bit of a problem, but I know some engineers at amazon.com so I'll be supporting them quite a bit. Opening a bookstore is tempting, but it sounds like a retail business is overly risky. I could definitely volunteer, but I am empathetic to a fault and am a little worried that I would have trouble distancing myself in such a small town environment.

-- What is it going to be like living in such a small town? I grew up in a sleepy beach town in southern CA, but not *this* sleepy. I'm a private sort of person, but friendly. I wonder how I will do as an outsider in a small town.

-- Do I have to have a boat to be happy? My island zen comes from floating in a warm ocean, and most of the beaches aren't good for swimming. Either the water is only up to my knees, or there are too many boats, or too much grass, or all of those things. My friend told me that the water gets deeper a little ways south of town, so maybe we'll end up living at that end. Or, get a little boat to head out to the reef when I want to. My boyfriend is a diver, so this doesn't bother him at all.

There are probably a million other things. Hopefully something here was interesting to you.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 316 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics69,868
Posts477,259
Members19,533
Most Online2,982
Jan 29th, 2019

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.