Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hope this is not a distasteful subject but I live now in a very affluent "cottagey" seasonal resident area and second-hand stores work well with the tourist trade. Not CRAP but definitely not landfill material. Are there businesses of this nature in AC? Does throw-away guilt prevail because if it doesn't (my impression of Belize is eco-pro) there's somebody making a big mistake.

Don't tell me you throw it in the sea...

Several people bring down second-hand stuff, and sell everything in a week. There are no second-hand stores though.

I know someone who ran a used clothing store in BZ City for a while but it really didn't go over well.

OP Offline
I'm not sure I would want the reputation of being the local junk dealer but do love to root through second hand stuff and antiques. So this does not happen, there's no second hand outlets on Ambergris Caye?

I recall seeing a shop touting "second-hand clothes" somewhere north of San Pedro Town. I couldn't tell you exactly where though.
PattiCake, I'm a "junkie" too. Since we retired, I rarely buy new clothes for us any more. There are some really good, clean second-hand stores here in Washington that I'm sure gonna miss!

Usually when those who "have" are ready to discard things that still have a shelf life, they either have a yard sale and/or donate their stuff to a needy cause. 2nd hand shops don't go over too well here because you cannot walk around for more than an hour in this town without seeing somebody that has less than you... and cannot afford your cast-offs. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

I wouldn't count on making a living trying to sell 2nd hand stuff to folks that can't afford it.

Good idea though. I love second hand stores too!

OP Offline
I really like that attitude (helping others) and always end up giving a lot of stuff away. Just love antiques (am looking forward to becoming one myself) but would never see anyone "in want" when I had what they needed.

Was not planning to make this a living - have other skills - but was getting a "feel" for the furniture climate mostly. I love wood and love to build things with it.

S
S
There is a second hand clothing store located in the parking lot of Mickies Restaurant that always has a lot of walk in traffic and seems to do quite well.

Your idea of a second hand shop is not a bad one if only for the reason that it would be something new on the island (if you weren't selling clothing) and wouldn't be taking business away from others who have worked hard to establish themselves. Original ideas that create jobs for Belizeans are always greatly appreciated.

mim Offline
I believe the reason that second hand clothing stores (at least - especially children's items) do so well in the US, is because there is very high demand for "designer" and "in most current style" items and the "need for new" is so high that unless the quality is very low we often replace before the life of the item is over. (children often outgrow clothes faster than parents can keep up) + some kids have so much their clothes couldn't possibly show much wear.
In a place where there is as low a demand for high fashion as Belize, and the average annual income is around $5000, larger families and close knit communities probably pass down what can still be used, the way many in the US give their used clothes to the Goodwill or Salvation Army.
I am sure most Belizian's subscribe to a very old New England saying - Re-use it, Re-cycle it and Use it up.
But yes, 2nd hand stores are great! my daughter works at one.

In general I noted young locals in SP wearing current fashions. They are very connected by TV to the current fashion trends.

Dare To Deviate
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.