Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Has anyone out there had any experience with Aerobic Septic Systems? The Humane Society has been advised that we will need to have one in place for the new clinic in order to meet code (there is no sewer line on our street.)

I'm wondering if this is something you must buy or can build yourself. I'm told that Benny's has the systems but they run around $30K BZ. That is 1/3 of our budget for the entire facility and I'd really like to drop that cost way down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(This isn't meant to be an advertising posting but if it works that way so be it!)

I'm building and installing a 4 chambered concrete Aerobic system at Lakeside Villas. It has a holding capacity of 2500 gallons in 4 chambers. It's completely sealed, nothing bad goes into the ground. The final chamber has a pressure water pump connected and we will be using the "effluent" (actually clear, fresh water is what comes out) to water the gardens. It's the most environmentally friendly system possible. Pelican Reef Villas (Joe and Rhonda Lawrence) are also using the same system, indeed they're the folks who told me about it.

Price, around $7500US including all materials, water pump (to water the yard), small air compressor (to encourage the "Good Bacteria" to do their stuff). It also includes installation! This system will service all 4 of our two bedroom 2.5 bathroom houses with lots of capacity to spare.

If you want rough plans come round to the Pelican Properties office next to Belize Bank to view.

If you have any animals at the Saga Society that know how to use a toilet I want to be their agent!

I'm guessing you could build a similar system 1/2 the size of ours (and a lot less money) and it would work great for what you have planned at Saga.

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info I will definitly come over. I was thinking of a 500 gallon facility but if there's little cost difference 1000 would be better.

Unfortunatly the animals don't use the toilet (with 20 plus dogs up for adoption I wish they did.)

Cheers,

Simon...

Simon, we have this type system at our lake home in TX. I was leary of it, but it is great - really does put out clean water - sprinkled onto you yard. It (the pump) runs 24/7, although I doubt it would be a problem if the electricity was out for short periods of time. Get some clorine tablets, there is a bit of a smell, from the tanks, with out the tablets. Although with that many dogs, you probably would not notice. laugh

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
My sister and her family has this type of system at her home in Forney, Texas and they are very happy with it.

Chris described the system to us when we bought our lot from him and we plan to install that type when we build.

L
L
anyone using composting toilets in Belize. My understanding of them is limited but have been told they work great with no smell. I wonder why the eco friendly people in Belize are not using them? Maybe you cannot obtain them there without paying high duty? Could someone explain?

S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The law requires us to use aerobic system, at least as a commercial property. I have yet to see any composting toilets for sale here in Belize probably due to the fact that they run $1500 to $2000US each before shipping and customs. I would bet you'd be looking at $2000 to $3000US by the time you got it to your door.

Compost toilets use quite a bit of electricity compared to aerobic septic systems. Each one has a fan and a heating element. On my project with its 12 toilets that would add up to a lot of amps. Back up power would be ESSENTIAL especially for outages lasting more than an hour or so.

Also the high cost of a compost toilet is compounded by the fact that they're rather larger than normal toilets, bathrooms need to be bigger which adds square footage to plans which makes the building costs rise. If you get the remote compost toilet system to save space in the bathroom then you have the problem of accommodating the bulky waste processing plant somewhere else in your home, one per toilet.

http://envirolet.com/ sell compost toilets.

http://www.aerobic-septic-system.com/design-septic-system.html is one design for an aerobic system (it's roughly the desgin I'm using at Lakeside Villas). It'll work for days with no or limited electricity. Plug.

For those interested in more information about composting toilets, here is a really helpful website:
<http://www.compostingtoiletworld.com/>

There are many different technologies, price points etc.

French Louis Caye has a composting toilet on site. It works great - does not smell, and I don't think it uses electricity. It is a bit large, but it's a very cool tool. Also I believe that there is a house south of town that had/has one - built by Mike Campbell (husband of Vicki, not moi)ages ago - as I recall that one did not use electricity and it was relatively normal in size.

L
L
Thanks for the information. I was interested for a solar cabin in US. I understood there were some available that did not require power. I can understand now why not always an option due to commercial use there. For a small cabin 1-2 people solar site composting may be the best option. I'll make the bathroom a little larger.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.