Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
I have posted this question on another message board and have not been too successful in getting an answer, so I'm hoping that you people who have moved and are now living in Belize can help with your experiences and advice.

Lan Sluder recently posted on another forum message board, the current costs for imigrating to Belize as a permanent resident. From what I understand, there is a need to live in Belize for a year (leaving the country for a maximum of 14 days within that year) I believe we would need to stay the year before we could even apply for residency. I also understand that a work permit can be applied for before the year is up(?) When applying for a work permit, I assume you need to identify what sort of work you plan on doing? And what if you get a work permit and then want to change the type of work you are doing. For example - get a work permit for a bed and breakfast operation, then maybe you want to start a manufacturing business in a year of two, how does the work permit affect such a change? Am I making this more complicated than need be?

I think we understand most of the residency requirements - but here is another scenario. My husband & I are confused considering a move to Belize. We plan on spending a year there to 'test the water' and hopefully get a good feel for life there. We plan on moving about the country a couple times as there are a number of areas that we are interested in checking out before we make a final choice on where to live permanently.

My question is, if we stay for the year, then come back home to clean up moving etc., have we met the permanent residency requirement, as they stand now? Do we have to remain in the country to apply for permanent residency while waiting for approval? or can we make application including work permits etc and await approvals while in our home country?

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions

Suggest that you call the Immigration Department, or pay a personal call when you come on your next visit. They will know the current regulations and be able to explain them to you.
Things change - get the most recent info possible.

Yes, things do change. Like in the middle of something. For instance the Retired Persons Program promised
Permanent residency then Immigration refused to accept their authorization. Oh - god - I don't dare get started on this one. Forgive me.
JUST BEWARE!
:p

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Retired Persons Program and Permanent Residency are very different items. For starters, one means you can work and the other means you can't.

T
OP Offline
T
Yes, we would definitely be more interested in the ability to work (start a business and be self employed)rather than the QRP status.

Thank you for your comments, we had a feeling that it is best to go straight to the specific government office to get the most accurate info, even tho we have been warned to check often for any changes or updates and ask many many questions to many people/officials.

As it seems best to pay a personal visit to the Immigration Office, I am assuming that would be the main office in Belmopan? Could someone please advise if there is a specific person we should try to see? and who that person may be? Also, if anyone has the specific Immigration office telephone number, it would be greatly appreciated. Making an appointment would be appropriate, I assume, as any other countrys' government would expect.

If you have an attorney doing other work for you, ask the attorney for updated info.
No need to go to Belmopan, there are immigration offices all over.
Basically for normal residency you cannot apply for at least a year, so there is no urgency to this item.
Make a visit to the nearest office when time permits - doubtful that you need (or would benefit from) making an appointment.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.