Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#212129 10/31/05 05:15 PM
weile Offline OP
OP Offline
Since this discussion kinda started (yes, I am guilty) after Jesse's funny cartoon in the General Chat area, lets take it to where it really belongs: Living In Belize...

This is about the roads on our island.

Living in Belize also means respecting the fact that we are fortunate to live in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, so why screw it all up by disrespecting the grounds we walk and live on, the air we breathe, the water we drink, the fish and veggies we eat etc...

It is sad to see educated people with enough money to build great resorts and wonderful homes, and who are yet not capable of mobilizing the cash and brain power to pay somebody to clean up their mess and invest a couple of thousands in a decent incenerator.

I gues the only people who can answer my question are the ones who are responible for the pollution. My question is very simple: Why don't you care?

Anyone who think that batteries, styrofoam, fiberglass insulation, paint buckets etc. make great land- and road fill, should have their heads examined. I hope that all us "locals" can join forces and stop the nasty things that take place. The worst places at this point are the road north (you know who you are) and (even worse) the lagoon in the back, especially the new road south to the new barge landing.

I am about to gather pictures and other info for the health inspector and the town board, so we can (hopefully) put a stop to this very bad situation before it gets out of hand. Anyone living here who would like to support this, should contact me.

I don't hate the people who ruin our environment. I just feel sorry for their ignorance. So let's help them understand...

Ebbe Weile
[email protected]
www.matagrandestudios.com

#212130 10/31/05 05:24 PM
S
S
Start by putting a 10 cent deposit on plastic water bottles and banning shilling bags of water. Those 2 things alone would have a huge impact.

You don't see much glass on the road as there are people who pick them up. Why? Because they have value, plastic bottles don't. Plastic bag (shilling) waters are thrown on the ground about 95% of the time from what I've seen.

#212131 10/31/05 05:25 PM
Well put. I am surprised it has been aloud to get to the point that it is even worth mentioning.

#212132 10/31/05 05:29 PM
weile Offline OP
OP Offline
Simon, you are one of the coolest people on this board, but with all due respect: It is not about the occational water bottle. It is about the mentality that make educated people with enough recources "not give a shit" as long as the beachfront looks like a million dollars.

#212133 10/31/05 06:44 PM
L
L
I'll second that Ebbe and would help you in your quest. We have a number of places on the South end that should be "educated". We all have a responsibilty to our environment and the island we love.

R.B. Mernitz
#212134 10/31/05 06:48 PM
S
S
True, but you have to start with something and that's an easy one.

If property owners are dumping best I could find in reference is Chapter 224 of the Waste Management Act:

(5) It shall be the responsibility of contractors to remove and dispose of
all construction waste material resulting from new construction or other works
on or at any premises.
(6) In the event a contractor fails to remove construction waste material
when required to do so by the Authority, the Authority may remove such
materials and recover the cost of such removal from the contractor.

So, with that in mind it should be a simple process (yeah, right) to have town council come in and by whatever means necessary remove said garbage and bill the property owner. Hit them hard in the pocketbook!

#212135 10/31/05 07:07 PM
B
B
Just out of curiosity, do the glass containers have value because of a deposit or as "scrap"?

Oh and in the post above it says construction debris removal is the responsibility of the contractor then in the last sentence it says bill the property owner. Does that mean that the owner must then try to recover from the contractor (good luck LOL)?

In any event I hope you are successful in your endeavor!

#212136 10/31/05 07:16 PM
L
L
We have a pile of debris (construction) and styrofoam as well as a tangle of demolished cars behind our house. Courtesy of Royal Caribean Resort. To date politely asking cooperation from the owners or requests from the town board have failed. The area has become a breeding area for mosquitos as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

R.B. Mernitz
#212137 10/31/05 07:42 PM
W
W
Is there an authority that can put a lien on the property if the contractor has not complied with the waste management act? I'm ignorant here, just a thought.

#212138 10/31/05 08:06 PM
L
L
It seems to be more of a "if it's private property, we can't do anything" response. Yes, there are some laws about abandonded cars, or health hazards but getting them enforced is difficult. It seems a shame that we can't understand that we all have a responsiblity to make our island attractive to tourists (our primary income) and at least some concession to the environment.

R.B. Mernitz
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 332 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.