Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#212149 11/01/05 12:47 PM
N
N
I fully support the theme of this exchange of emails but I fear, to give my two cents worth on the subject, that there is no easy solution. For instance we have had building and other rubbish dropped on our land at the lagoon side of our property next to the road.

Should we be fined if it is not cleared up?

The fact is that we don't like it and we have asked our caretaker to try and keep it cleared up but I am rather worried as he does that it will encourage the perpetrators to do it again! Frustrating!

We are gradually trying to make this area of our land look smart with tree plantings, path edging etc., in the hope that these people will be embarrassed into ceasing their activity but I suspect I am being nieve in that expectation but it is worth a try.

In the end I suspect that the problem will just move up the island as construction moves north so once our area is 'fully' developed then the problem will go away from where we are - that, of course, is no consolation to others affected and clearly not a satisfactory solution overall.

#212150 11/01/05 01:06 PM
C
C
These building materials are also a hazard for people and property especially when there are hurricane force winds out and could blow these materials causing harm to others. This is an issue you could bring up with the city council

#212151 11/01/05 01:29 PM
W
W
Are there success stories? Is there a development that has done a great job with waste management? Maybe their process and costs could be held up as an example of how to 'do the right thing the right way'.

#212152 11/01/05 09:42 PM
Weile's first statement was "This is about the roads on our island"....allow me to say that our "roads" are a disgusting embarrasment and an affront to the tens of millions of dollars that this island's tourists and taxpayers send to Central Government every year.

Sorry to climb on my soapbox, but pollution control, proper trash disposal, installation of proper infrastructure, enforcement of laws etc. etc. really should begin with those at the top of the government totem pole. Unfortunately they're too busy making themselves and their nasty, greedy cronies rich to actually care about what is happenin' on lil' old Ambergris.

Rainy days on Ambergris Caye....think how perfect they would be if you didn't have to drive, bike or walk through that muck they call our "roads."

#212153 11/03/05 01:19 AM
weile Offline OP
OP Offline
Don't mind you climbing on your soapbox at all Chris. You're basically right, but it will have to start with the "educated" people who can afford to clean up their own mess. Seriously, next time I see a "contractor" having his people throw a paint bucket in the lagoon, I'm going to throw it back in his stupid face and ask him if he thinks it's cool to kill the fish, give his grand children cancer and generally contribute to f***ing up this beautiful place just to save a couple of bucks.
The potholes in the roads are bad, but it's only water, and the quality of the roads is really not that important, if all they are running through are toxic waste dumps. Some of you people up here (north A.C.) should really be ashamed of yourselves...

#212154 11/05/05 03:46 AM
We should make a comparison of whom makes bigger boo boos. The rich or the poor. Come on back to
San Pedrito someday and see for yourself. If I am not mistaken...the town dump charges for dumping, which is not much of an incentive for its use...over and beyond the long drive there and back. I think the Town Board should PAY people who use the town dump. PS. the little kids seldom put their candy wrappers in their pockets...they throw them on the ground...after looking about.

Gone fishing!!
#212155 11/05/05 07:57 AM
This is the attitude with garbage all over Belize, not up to our standards but it is their country. Everyone has a burn pile in the back yard and what the dogs do not eats gets burned and then blown all over. Drive roads all over Belize and watch the stuff thrown from the back of the trucks. We can try to lead by example but that is as far as it goes. The dump in Belize city used to let the poor come and pick through the garbage for free, now they chage them 10 BZE per day!!!

#212156 11/06/05 09:22 AM
B
B
Wow! Charging the poor to pick through the garbage dump. I guess that means only the rich homeless people can get a reservation to the exclusive PUP Diner.

#212157 11/07/05 08:35 AM
For those that are interested, garbage pick-up (daily household refuse) is FREE to private residences. The town board does try to collect a few dollars from hotels, businesses and aparment houses etc. to help defray the cost.

Currently there is no charge to pick through the garbage at the San Pedro Town dump.

#212158 11/07/05 08:56 AM
S
S
Trash pickup is free and daily but there are still jerks that toss their trash into the bush by the side of the road.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.