Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#212243 11/12/05 02:58 AM
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi all,

I am in the process of gathering useful information. We are planning to have a one year sabbatical in Belize starting from May next year. If all goes well, we will stay. This question is about our dog. I believe there are flights to Belize from Charlotte. My mum lives in Georgia and flies frequently. She hates Miami airport. We are moving from the UK. We will spend a week in Georgia with her to acclimatise the dog to the warmer weather before heading to Belize. She is strongly advising (in only the way that mums can) that we fly the dog out of Charlotte as it is a less stressful airport. Has anyone flown a dog out of Charlotte to Belize? Does anyone know if it is possible? Anyone who has done it via Miami, could you let me know how it went please?

Thanks in advance.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

#212244 11/12/05 10:21 AM
C
C
my grandparents take their chinese pug on their flights from Houston to Belize, and Miami to Belize about six times a year.The only problem they have had was during one of their flights they would not let the dog fly because the tempature was to hot ( there are some months that the airlines won't fly animals these months are like july, august where it is really hot. You just have to make sure you have all the paperwork from a vet, and the paperwork from Belize. Their dog has his own passport.ha

#212245 11/12/05 06:13 PM
very confused as to why it would be easier for your dog to fly out of charolette vs. miami. Is the dog going on the plane with you or cargo?

I think you should go through whatever airport is easiest for you and cheapest. I flew my dog out of Houston. Either way flying your dog can be stressful for the dog and I do not think it will know the difference.

#212246 11/12/05 06:20 PM
As I replied to your cross-posting on another forum, purely from a people perspective Charlotte (a US Air hub) is more pleasant than the Miami airport. There are also Delta flights to BZE from Atlanta, which might be easier if you are flying Georgia. As to the dogs, I'm not sure it makes much difference. I sorta doubt a week in Georgia will acclimatize the dogs to Belize.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#212247 11/14/05 06:09 AM
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
casa de amor - thanks for that..it's reassuring to know that it seems fairly stress free.

ke - the main reason is that we have found that different flight operators have differing policies and records in respect to transporting animals. We are not sure whether she can fly on board for the flight from USA to Belize yet because she is borderline on size. She will have to fly cargo internationally though.

Lan - many thanks for your reply on both boards. I am exploring the Atlanta flight which sounds like it might be ideal. Have been given a quote for an open return from the UK via that route with Delta. You are absolutely right that a week in Georgia will acclimatise our dog to Belize. But we are coming from cold weather and we just want to give her a little time in the heat and a fun break on the beach to break up the travel for her. We also want to have time to sort out her health certificates for that part of the journey.

www.conchcreative.com

#212248 11/14/05 12:02 PM
yes, different flight operators certainly do have different policies. American has many restrictions, Continental flies year round in cargo and has the least restrictions.

The comment I made was NOT in regards to airline restrictions, I asked "very confused as to why it would be easier for your dog to fly out of charolette vs. miami." in responce to the your question- which AIRPORT is the least stressful, not which airline.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you wrote? was trying to assist, I flew my dog here.

#212249 11/14/05 01:48 PM
M
M
I flew my dog Willy to Belize last june via Continental, from Toronto to Houston and they took very good care of him. They put the dog on last and took him off first so he didn't get too hot. I flew him back home in Aug the same way, he was delayed in Houston, but arrived the next day in good shape. I got Willy in San Pedro in June of 04, and brought him home with us, great pet and I think he likes adventures.

#212250 11/15/05 02:32 AM
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
ah ke..I see what you meant now...the reason I ask is because I am doing research on the carriers and thanks for the heads up on Continental, but as the Belize trip with pets is something quite unique, I thought personal experience at airports would give me some insight. Certainly my experience in Europe is that different airports behave differently and some have staff that are more animal friendly than others. Any advice you can give me is most welcome. Thanks.

Monica thanks. Sounds like Willy is a lucky boy.

www.conchcreative.com

#212251 11/15/05 04:58 PM
We adopted a 8 week old puppy from AC back in July. She was abandoned prior to hurricane Emily. We took her in, got her shots and flew her home with us from BZ to HO to Baltimore. She was so small that she could fit under the seat in front of us. Oh, by the way, we named her Emily. She is diffently a little "Hurricane".

ArtZ SmartZ
#212252 12/01/05 10:49 PM
My wife and I twice flew our toy poodle in from New York via Charlotte on USAIR. She had to ride in cargo since USAIR's policy doesn't allow pets on international flights. It was the beginning of August and I don't recall the outside temp, but she was only on the plane for 5min before they took her off. Belize (BZE) is a very small airport.

I do recommend that you try to plan on a long layover going back. These days they give you about an hour for you and your bags to get through immigration/customs and that is not enough.

We had an almost 3hr layover going back to NY. We were able to retrieve Peanut from the baggage claim and we even walked her outside of the airport. The next part is funny, because we had taken possesion of her and her kennel, they had to get a TSA employee down from the office to frisk our 6lb dog and her kennel for bombs and box cutters. I understand completely, but it was a funny scene.

My best advice is to HAVE ALL THE PAPERWORK going both ways and just relax. The airlines basically know what they are doing, you pay extra to bring your pet for a reason.

Also if you are coming to the Cayes, I recommend the flight from BZE rather than the water taxi. Just what your pet needs is another high-speed, bumpy, traumatic travel experience right after the long flight(s).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 320 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.