Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#212907 04/04/06 01:04 AM
T
TxGypsy Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone! I've recently become fascinated with Belize. I'll be making my first trip down in the later part of May. I'm hoping that Belize will be a good fit and that I'll take 'early retirement' there(I'm 34 but have sufficient investment income to live comfortably). Since I'm not old enough to go the qualified retired person route I'll probably be more or less a perpetual tourist. Which means I can't have a job. I really don't want a job....I have enough money and I'm trying to get AWAY from punching a time clock...not move the time clock to another country. But I digress....this posting is about barter. I have quite a few useful and possibly rare skills(don't know how rare because I haven't been down there yet). Anyhow I'm wondering if it is ok to do a bit of bartering? An example might be that I groom little Fifi for you and you have some lovely orange trees, so as a thankyou you bring me some fresh oranges. Would this sort of thing be considered accepting pay? LOL....you can take the american out of america but you can't kill the capitalism smile

#212908 04/04/06 06:42 AM
It could be but only if you ticked someone off enough to report you. Much of Belize works on the barter system still.

#212909 04/19/06 03:57 PM
A
A
Yes, you CAN work in Belize. Americans run shops, B&B's, restaurants. I know one with a paint shop. One owns an internet place. Many are teachers.

A volunteer at Belmopan's new Humane Society says groomers are needed. The only one here has left. Most people have muts but there's some with poodles and other purebreds.

Belizeans are poor...they need almost everything, so I'm sure bartering would work out fine.

Let us know if you need more help. We offer relocation assistance...can pick you up at airport, introduce you to the best most honest realtor, show you least expensive places to shop...go shipping with you and negotiate prices, take you touring (I'm a tour guide, master diver and licensed medic).

Send your "Does Belize Have This" list so we can help further. Belize is an adjustment, it's beautiful, and a great place to live/retire smile

#212910 04/19/06 05:41 PM
Legally you cannot work in Belize-paid or unpaid unless you have a work permit/residency/citizenship-I have no idea where aloha got her info from-plus she has only been here a couple of months and knows the only honest realtor-give me a break from I have been here for three months know-it-alls

#212911 04/19/06 06:20 PM
Just set up a local company:
http://www.belizeoffshoreinvestors.com/inv1.html
and then you can apply for a workpermit:
http://www.belizeoffshoreinvestors.com/inv4.html
After a year you can apply for a permanent residence:
http://www.belizeoffshoreinvestors.com/inv5.html

Live and let live

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.