Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#213066 05/02/06 09:02 AM
I'm not American. I don't mind if you argue with me, John Payne, but please don't insult me.

#213067 05/02/06 09:17 AM
Mr. Payne, you have such a poor image of Americans. I'm so sorry if we do not meet your standards, but your constant condensending attitude is getting old. Freedom is one of our given rights, and unfortunately, we don't like it taken away or tampered with, especially when we are paying the bills. We are very adaptable, lest we wouldn't have as many people trying to get into the US. We as Americans embrace every ethnic group...that is what being American means. We don't look down our noses at others, like the french do. They seem to have a very high opinion of themselves and have no problem degrading others. That, Mr. Payne, is ugly. Your attitude is Ugly. YOu never miss an opportunity to be ugly towards Americans. What exactly is your problem?

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
#213068 05/02/06 09:25 AM
Mr. Payne is American.

#213069 05/02/06 09:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
"especially when we are paying the bills"

The world said go to afghanistan.

The world said no to iraq.

Do you listen any better now ?

Premptively taking over another country ,with another language, with another culture is a lot worse than someone thumbing their nose.And their situation is not YET better than it was.
But worry not, you will leave it to another generation as you did Vietnam.

#213070 05/02/06 09:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Originally posted by NYgal:
Mr. Payne is American.
Yes, and being from Kansas rural communitys was the best.Which could only be why i lived 14 years in belize and now 7 years in france.

#213071 05/02/06 09:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
"On 27 August 1765 he was discharged for neglect of duty by entering in his books examinations which had not been actually made

Rickman describes him as a strong Whig, and a member of a club which met at the White Hart. Paine was an eager and obstinate debater, and wrote humorous and political poems;

Paine went to London. G. L. Scott, according to Oldys, introduced him to Franklin, to whom he might also have become known through his scientific friends. Franklin gave him a letter, dated 30 September 1774, to Bache (Franklin's son-in-law), describing him as an 'ingenious, worthy young man,' and suggesting that he might be helped to employment as clerk, surveyor, or usher. Paine reached America on 30 November 1774, and obtained many friends at Philadelphia through Franklin's introduction. He became connected with Robert Aitkin, a bookseller in Philadelphia, who was anxious to start a magazine. The first number of this, the Pennsylvania Magazine or American Museum, appeared at the end of January 1775. Paine contributed from the first, and soon afterwards became editor, with a salary of £50 a year.

He wrote articles attacking slavery and complaining of the inferior position of women, and others showing his republican tendencies.

He made acquaintance with Dr. Rush, who had already written against slavery.

Common Sense--- Paine thus became famous. He was known to Jefferson, and is supposed by Mr. Conway to have written the suppressed clause against the slave trade in the Declaration of Independence.

In January 1779 Paine got into trouble. The French government had adopted the scheme suggested by Beaumarchais for supplying funds to the insurgents .. supplies were sent gratuitously by the French government. This was to reveal the secret which the French, although now the open allies of the Americans, desired to conceal. The French minister, Gérard, therefore appealed to congress, who were bound to confirm his statement that the alliance had not been preceded by a gratuitous supply.

On 2 November 1779 the Pennsylvania assembly appointed Paine their clerk, and in that capacity he wrote a preamble to the act for the abolition of slavery in the state, which was passed on 1 March 1780

Paine resigned his position as clerk at the end of the year, stating his intention to devote himself to a history of the revolution. He had also a scheme for going to England, where he imagined he could open the eyes of his countrymen to the folly of continuing the struggle by a pamphlet as effective as Common Sense. Congress now resolved to make an application to the French government for a loan, and entrusted the mission to Colonel Laurens, an aide-de-camp of Washington. Laurens took Paine as his secretary, Paine intending to make his expedition to England after completing the business. They sailed from Boston in February 1781, and had a favourable reception in France. Paine was persuaded to give up the English plan, and returned with Laurens in a French frigate, reaching Boston on 25 August 1781, with 2,500,000 livres in silver, besides military stores. Sixteen ox teams were sent with the money to Philadelphia. Washington was meanwhile advancing with Rochambeau upon Yorktown, and the surrender of Cornwallis ended the campaign. He had to obtain a loan from Rochambeau, which was repaid from the money brought by Laurens. Paine refers to this mission in his published Letter to Washington, 1796.

In the early part of 1790 Paine was in Paris, where he was entrusted by Lafayette with the key of the Bastille for transmission to Washington

Several prosecutions for publishing or circulating the Rights of Man followed in 1793, as the alarm in England became more intense. Paine was welcomed enthusiastically in France. On 26 August the title of French citizen had been conferred upon him and other celebrities by the national assembly

Paine was met by salutes and public addresses, and on 19 September reached Paris. He appeared that night at the national assembly. Frost reports next day that Paine was in good spirits, though 'rather fatigued by the kissing.' On 21 September the abolition of royalty was decreed"

http://www.dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/adw03/c-eight/people/paine.htm

#213072 05/02/06 09:57 AM
I would say something here Mr Payne but I wont because marty WILL HAVE TO take it down because it wont be something that women and small children could see

Just remember there is alot of people that died to give you the rite to slam them

J D Tremblay
Southern Illinois University Press
Phone 618-453-6634
Fax 618-453-3787
[email protected]
#213073 05/02/06 10:20 AM
Yawn

'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
#213074 05/02/06 09:14 PM
My only post regarding Mr Payne in the butt is confirmed yet again

at least he is consistent LOL
I guess coming from the rural communitys excuses him a little.

#213075 05/03/06 04:38 AM
I don't know, BelizeDis...I'm from a rural community, hopefully I'm not a smart a** (well, I can be, but try not to be). I think he's just very impressed with himself, but so far he hasn't shown any reason for it. I've just decided he's very insecure, and has to be a butthead to cover for it. Maybe he isn't loved, and it's a "self fulfilling prophecy"/ Oh well, at least he's not in SP full time....not much chance of running into him there. smile

'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.