Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a friend...

I was asked to be part of a party that met the Min. of Education from St. Lucia at the airport yesterday. This is the genleman's first visit to Belize.

On the drive down he remarked it odd that Belizeans drive on the right hand side of the road, since most ex-British colonies still had drivers driving on the left side of the road.

Does anyone know why we are different?

==============================
response from another friend

Belize used to drive on the left hand side of the road. When US was joined to South America by road (I think it was the PanAmerican Highway), it was decided that Belize would change so it could be like the rest of the Americas. Yes, I learnt on one side then we had to practice to learn to drive on the other side. When Belize changed, all the cars on the road had steering wheels on the wrong side. Talk about crazy. After several weeks of 'practicing' the official change came at midnight on a Saturday night. All clubs, lounges, etc. had
to close at 11:30 to make sure there were no 'tipsy' people driving on the road. The fire engines led a parade over the swing bridge from the market side to Paslow side and everyone
who wanted to join followed the fire engines. With great fanfare of horns, etc. the parade continued until early morning!

I had an amazing experience in Grand Bahama some years back.

The fur lined taxi driver was high as a kite trying to overtake a lorry (sorry Truck!) he couldn't see anything coming forward at all.

Left hand drive roads right handed drive vehicles, have I got that the right way round? Doesn't matter the point is the same!

Thank god the experience was short lived. We soon arrived at our destination in one piece.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Anyone know why America and most European countries drive on the right, whereas Britain, Japan and many others stick to the left?

If you are interested enough to read all of this, here is an explanation

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/driving%20on%20the%20left.htm#history

Byron that is an interesting read indeed.

Sorry to have missed you the other day. Are you still in SP?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Gee, Adam, on top of all your other skills, you must be quite the speed reader. :rolleyes:

Law just actually finished it.

Interesting history and frankly I did not realize how many places still drove on the left.

V
V
LAW = RUDE!!!!!!

E
E
This oughtta be interesting laugh

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Ah, E - everyone needs a serious detractor once in a while! My last one went into hiding, so I'm due. :p
Victoriatx, I note that you just registered today, yet you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge about Peter's history with Beachboy and Seashell. I'd be willing to wager a bit that you've recently picked up an alter ego. Care to share?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 146 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.