Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#214921 12/06/06 02:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Ok - I just got a petition alleging a violation of probation by one of my young clients. One of the conditions of probation is to follow all school rules. My kid's in trouble for not following the school rule that prohibits profanity.

I don't think what my kid said constitutes profanity (although I would concede he probably had an inappropriate attitude - but that's not what's alleged).

You guys tell me what you think constitutes profanity - I'll use any good arguments I get when I argue his case next Monday. After I hear from some of you, I'll let you know what he said.

this is vague. it would be easier if we knew what he said. i do not know any laws, but my take on it is:

-using one of the '7 dirty words'
-cussing out someone directly
-borderline: saying 'FU', and i mean literally, not what it stands for. i dont let my kid curse, but she can say 'FU', but only if it is joking around
-using obscene gestures directly to someone.
-spitting on someone

i'm sure there is much more....enquiring minds want to know...

COOOOOCOOOOOEEEEEEE!

anytime the following is used, it is profanity.

##$**&^)(!@#$^%&*()+++_"?>>

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
See, I don't think what my kid said had the +++'s and the **'s in it!

I can't believe I am actually searching for case law on what constitutes profanity!!

Can you give us an example of what the kid MAY have said?

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I dont' mind saying what was said, and I will - but what I'm really looking for right now is some opinions about what the general public (to the extent members of this board fall into that category laugh ) consider profanity. I'd like to hear those opinions before telling you what was said, so that you are not just providing me with an opinion about whether what was said was profane.

Was it verbal or a gesture?

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
Its not always what is said, but how and who it was said to. With the internet and all the lingo many words made up or real have become "Inappropriate" but not so much profanity.

"You look like SNOOPY and it makes me smile, but you have smelly dog farts."
I think profanity can be an art form. There's nothing like a well placed cuss word. See David Mamet.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
Hon Offline
I think profanity is in the ear of the beholder. There are many words that I would think profane if said in front of someone my mother's age, in the presence of a child or in a church etc..

...but in the privacy of my own home, with others of my peer group (whom I know to be of similar thinking) or in books or movies, these same words might be perfectly acceptable.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.