Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#215271 10/24/01 02:54 PM
C
Caitlin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am a full time student studying marine biology and thinking of taking a year off and moving to Caye Caulker. A year ago i spent some time down there and fell in love with the island. I dont really know much about how to go about this, but i do know that it is something that i really want to do. Any suggestions of where to go to find apartments, job opportunites, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,
Caitlin

#215272 10/24/01 04:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Caitlin,

So you want to take some time off and have chosen Caye Caulker to do so. Great. It is indeed a wonderful choice.

However (everything comes with a however doesn't it?) you will not be able to do paid work. Please save your money before you arrive so you are able to fully support yourself while on the Caye. Belizeans need jobs before tourists so the country has put in place severe restrictions on work visas/permits. Most likely you will not be allowed to work for wages.

Instead you could do volunteer work using your education in marine biology. Maybe you could do species counts for the Audobon Society or some similar organization. Perhaps a professor in your field will have a project going that you can lend a hand to. You will need to bring your own

Sorry to put a damper on your plans but you have to be practical.

#215273 10/26/01 02:14 PM
R
RL Offline
R
Be Practial,
Do you happen to know where I could go to get other good information concerning work. I was thinking of purchasing a place there in CC and running my own business. I have been to CC many times, thus the desire to be there on a more permanate basis.

#215274 10/27/01 09:56 PM
R
R
Caitlin,

You seem to have the right idea about life and I suspect you have some idea what you are getting into. I think your best bet with Caye Caulker is leave most things behind you and to show up and find a room. If you don't like it, you can move on easily without much baggage. If you do like it, you can send for other things. If you don't, you can find another place.

To get into the long term, you should require a basic kitchenette. However, at the beginning, it should not matter all that much.

Have a great time there!

#215275 10/28/01 03:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
RL,

The laws of belize can be found on the government site.
http://www.belize.gov.bz/laws_of_belize.html

My other suggestion is to get a lawyer in Belize and run anything you are planning past the lawyer. The lawyer can guide you to the proper departments and draw up the proper documents with regard to your business purchase. You will need a lawyer to handle any land purchase anyway so you might as well get one now.

bp

#215276 10/28/01 09:06 PM
M
M
Hi Caitlin,

You Cannot WORK in Belize. That understood, we can go from there.

You can purchase property in Belize with or without a Belizean Residency.

There is a scheme where you can apply for Residency in Belize as an Investor, however this is a long process, as are many things which require paperwork, in Belize. There may even be a minimum investment ($$$) requirement to qualify. Check the website: belizeretirement (.org - I think).

If you want to Invest in a Business and have a local 'front' or run it for you, that is another story; but you cannot WORK it yourself without a work permit.

Caye Caulker simply does not Approve Work Permits for foreigners. They just don't. There are many people here who have lived on the island for the period of time required (1 year) to simply Apply for a Work Permit and still cannot get a Recommendation Letter from the CC Village Council; which is the First step in the process.

I would go with your first advisor - Bring LOTS OF CASH! Or you will end up disillusioned and back home much faster than you think.

#215277 10/29/01 10:36 AM
R
RL Offline
R
Be Practical,

Thanks for the info. Looking for a simpler life and hopeing that it could be in CC.

#215278 10/29/01 07:23 PM
C
C
Are you Caitlin Gibbon, I met you last year, are you moving here soon?

#215279 11/11/01 09:38 AM
C
C
Take a look at Green Reef, they are headquartered in San Pedro. You can reach their web page by going to //www.ambergriscaye.com They were considering doing projects on Caye Caulker a while ago.
www.cybercayecaulker.com

#215280 11/13/01 08:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
.Up

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day