Re: Racism #215659
03/05/02 09:30 PM
03/05/02 09:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
Wendy/Mermaid why do you keep some sites open, so you can go on about you and your viewpoint? Isn't this for everybody or you edit when you are bored? Want to keep tourists around so delete the message warning about the rapist. The next girl that is molested is on your head cause you know what is up with him. Shame on you. Might as well delete this too.

Re: Racism #215660
03/06/02 11:22 AM
03/06/02 11:22 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
Dear Full of You:

Please let me share some things with you:

1. I am NOT Mermaid.
2. I am NOT the moderator of the board, although I will strongly recommend the deletion of posts that are catty and unsuitable, libelous, and just plain outright lies, yes.
3. I was taken aback that the "Rapist" thread had been deleted, and went back through the postings of the last 100 days to make sure what you were saying is true. Obviously, it is.
4. I am as sad as you that the post has been deleted (not by me), because, yes, I find it informative and cautionary to others who might be traveling here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Wendy A.

Re: Racism #215661
03/07/02 06:09 PM
03/07/02 06:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
Sometimes on this board there are things said about people that may not be the nicest things to hear, but they are people opinions or things that they believe to be true. most of the time we do not know if they are true or not. how can we? i thank Mermaid for leaving up the post having to deal with her and racism.

[This message has been edited by Mermaid (edited 06-05-2002).]

Re: Racism #215662
03/08/02 04:05 PM
03/08/02 04:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
obviously gogo needs something to occupy her time, no one wants to read your drawn out west coast speech over the internet.

Re: Racism #215663
06/05/02 10:33 AM
06/05/02 10:33 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
somehow this post seems relevant again.

Re: Racism #215664
06/05/02 05:11 PM
06/05/02 05:11 PM
M
Mermaid Offline OP
Mermaid  Offline OP
M
The posts most likely to be edited or deleted from the board are those that include NAME CALLING.

Many slanderous comments are made on this board that wrongfully tarnishes or defames the character of a person.

It is my opinion that comments, warnings, opinions, messages can be contributed eloquently enough that there is no need for name calling.

I encourage you to use language as a tool, not a weapon.

For those who want to rage war instead of peace, this is not the place for you.

Re: Racism #215665
06/05/02 05:19 PM
06/05/02 05:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
People have been accused of crimes on this board - stealing, rape, physical abuse etc..

While these are excellent topics of conversation, I don't believe that one-man judge, jury & sentence Trials should be performed on this board.

For allegations of a crime, head for the judicial system and go to trial.

A man/woman is INNOCENT until proven guilty (in a court of law)!

For those accusing people of crimes, remember that Defamation of Character is also a crime.

Re: Racism #215666
06/06/02 03:19 AM
06/06/02 03:19 AM
Madison, WI, USA
M
memingwa Offline
memingwa  Offline
M
It seems to me that as long as we talk about these matters as honestly as we are able, then there is hope for those of us who want/need that hope. When we stop talking and thinking and "comparing notes" and decide that we are as good as we're going to get, then that is truly dangerous.

And as long as we are aware of our own biases, and wish to not ACT on those biases, then we are more a part of the solution than of the problem.

As sev'l of you have said, we ALL have some sort of bias to overcome. Once we choose to not act within those limits, and choose to think about it, talk about it, open ourselves to another view, or any person or group different than ourselves, we are then acting to end the "ism" in ourselves. For each of us that works to be better, there is another person who may see us do that and think, "maybe I could look at that..."

As "No Thanks" illustrated so well, when we meet a few who act & believe in a way we do not like, and we decide that all those who are similar to that person are the SAME as that person, then we are choosing to live within those self-imposed limits. Should we choose that, we can never "free" anyone, much less ourselves. Reba

Re: Racism #215667
06/09/02 05:49 PM
06/09/02 05:49 PM
Belize
E
Enigma Offline
Enigma  Offline
E
I'm absolutely amazed at the scale of human emotion displayed in this topic, and the variety of viewpoints.

What is racism really? I'd like to hear how many definitions we could come up with.

My own beliefs about racism stem from being brought up in the south of the U.S.A. I heard about it and lived around it my whole life. There it was about color, and some people's "perceived" idea that being another color other than white meant you were lower class. My personal viewpoint is that is pure hogwash and shows definite ignorance on the person perceiving.
I find that people who share this particular viewpoint of racism, have a lower level of intelligence. Not that they don't have value, they are simply ignorant and don't know any better.

One of the most striking things I observed on my very first visit to Belize was how multi-cultural it was, and how well everyone got along. Of course that was a tourists viewpoint then.
I ended up moving here 4 years later and after 3 years of living here it is true that not all get along. Although the problems seem minor compared to the large scale racism I've witnessed in the states.

Am I a racist? I hope not. I don't think I am, but after reading this topic, I realize that there are many different views on what racism is. I've examined my thoughts on color, cultural, etc., and have decided these are my viewpoints:

*I have absolutely no problem with color. That is genetic, derived from your parents and you have no say in the matter, so why should anyone be punished or ridiculed or shunned because of their heritage?

*I have no problem with culture. That's geography. It's what makes the world an interesting place. Think how boring the world would be if we were all carbon copies of one another BORING!

*I have no problem with social status. Some people are more fortunate than others. Some are born into families that live well and some are not. Life is not a restaurant...you don't order up household to be born in to from a menu. You get what you get. As a child you endure and live with what you get.
When grow up, if you are not satified with what you got, then you seek and aquire something better. There is nothing wrong with that. Bettering yourself is a challenge of your character. Some succeed and some don't.

Some of the things I have trouble dealing with here are: (keep in mind this does not apply to all people here)

*I have met a lot of hard working people. There are some though that always want more. Nothing wrong with that. Problem is, they don't want to work for it, they think someone else should pass it on to them, make their life easy. What REALLY get's my goat is that no matter how much you do for them or how much you go out on a limb for them, they always expect more...like you owe them or something!

*Finding someone that will give you a full 8 hour days worth of work is hard. People here work differently than they do in the states.
In the states, you MUST show up for work everyday that you are scheduled. You MUST clock in. You MUST take your two 15 minute breaks when the boss says you can. You MUST take your measley 30 minute lunch when it is your turn. You MUST do the duties of your job description without fail or you will be fired! ETC,ETC,ETC
People here are NOT used to working that way.
That is part of what makes Belize the laid back place it is. If you run a business here and expect local people to work for you like U.S. employees do, you have another thing coming! It's very frustrating in terms of business to get things done in the manner and speed you are accustomed to.
Is it there fault? Of course not!
It doesn't bother them at all. They have been living this way for a very long time.
It only bothers the American that is trying to run a business in Belize, like he was still living in the states, LOL.
If you let it stress you out, you are fighting a losing battle.
Will they change?? Why should they?
The only time I have ever seen work ethic change here is in someone who has left Belize and moved to the states for awhile and were forced to adapt to the different style of employment in order to survive.

In my mind, the only racism I know in myself is pure aggrivation for people who don't try.
It's not about color, culture, geography or anything else. It's about doing the best you can do to be a productive citizen no matter where you are from. It is about treating people the way you would want to be treated. Fair and equal treatment of all people, taking into consideration that person's limitations. Each and everyone of us while in the womb are the same.
From the day we are born, our lives are molded and shaped by our surroundings.
When we are grown, depending on circumstances, personality and sheer stamina, determines what we as adults will do to better ourselves. Some people are real fighters and have been properly educated enough to improve their situations. Others are not so lucky, but it doesn't mean they are any less of a person or that they shouldn't receive the same treatment as anyone else.

A lot of things frustrate me here, but when I really stop to think about it, it's usually MY problem and not the other person's. It is usually because I'm expecting THEM to be MORE than what they are willing to give or are able to give.

I have to remind myself that I AM the one that wanted the laid back lifestyle, so I HAVE to learn to deal with it, not anyone else.

One of the things that local and Belizean people complain a lot about is Americans that come here and try to change things into the way it's done in the states. And I agree.
The old saying "When in Rome, do as the Roman's do" applies.
If you move to Belize, you must be willing to do things their way, otherwise, what's the point of moving in the first place?

Geeezz, I need something to drink. LOL
Have a wonderful Belizean day, Folks!

P.S. Just a quick note about that American flag thing. *grumble, grumble*
Remember there is a huge population of Belizeans living abroad in the states. Lot's in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles and other places. I don't think anyone complains when they hang the Belizean flag and have celebrations for Belizean holidays.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
That is another one of those "Fair Treatment" issues. :-)

Re: Racism #215668
06/10/02 10:10 AM
06/10/02 10:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
A
It certainly is an enigma, Enigma. But your analysis of the various situations is dead on in my humble opinion. Thank you for your clear reasoning... I really enjoyed that read.

I have lived in other Caribbean countries and I remember that it was necessary to do it their way if you didn't want to fail in your adventure or endeavour.

It took about 6 months for me to come around to the thinking that the North American way just didn't have any place in my newly chosen home. I did it their way and it worked just fine.

As you have said, why try to change it to the American or Canadian ways of living when you left all of that to enjoy a different lifestyle. Kind of defeating the purpose isn't it?

Have another beautiful day in "paradise".
Jim

[This message has been edited by Sandcrab (edited 06-10-2002).]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
May
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 202 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,268
Posts487,886
Members19,869
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day