Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215734 01/24/02 05:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I am going to be on CC for a week and a half in early May. I wanted to see if anyone could recommend any local flyfishing guides.

I mainly want to fish for bonefish, permit, and tarpon.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

#215735 01/24/02 11:50 PM
B
B
Rollie Badillo will take you...You won't have to worry about looking for him...just carry your fly outfit down Front Street and he will find you...Honest!......FISH ON!!!

#215736 01/25/02 01:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Thanks Bonestalker. Do you know how much he charges for a full day? Also, is there really no way to get in touch with him?
Are there any particular places I could ask for him?

Thanks!!!!

#215737 01/25/02 10:00 PM
B
B
TN, I'm just guessing here, but for a full day probably in the $150-$200 U.S range. But I usually negotiate a better price. He had a place (guide shop) down toward the split on the beach. Trust me. If he doesn't find you, CC is a very small village and you have 75%-80% chance that the first person you ask will be either a relative or a drinking buddy. Honest, if you walk down toward the split on the north end with your whippy stick to work the kinks out, or even to catch bones off the docks....He will smell you out. LOL....or stop the first kid on a bike you see and give him a Bze $1.00 coin (.50 u.s.) and tell him to find Rollie and if he brings him back he gets another one.

#215738 01/26/02 01:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hi TN:

Unfortunately, Rally Badillo is very sick and may not be able to take you fly fishing. If you wish, you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will set you up with a licensed and reputable fishing guide.

Half day fishing trips are $125 U.S. and full day trips are $200 U.S.

Cheers,
Wendy A.

#215739 01/30/02 08:40 PM
R
R
You are in good hands with Wendy.

#215740 01/31/02 03:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I will be hanging out on the caye from Feb. 18-25 and am interested in doing some flyfishing. All my experience is freshwater. Could i get some advice on line,rod and fly needs. Are there fly shops in area? I have a #6 rod so i figure bonefish is the prey unless guides provide equipment. what size rod would be needed for permit or tarpon?

thanks
mat

#215741 01/31/02 06:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Wilky:

I plan on going with a 7, 8 and 10 wt. I'm going to have the 7 outfitted with a wire leader for barracuda, the 8 outfitted for permit/bonefish, and the 10 for tarpon. I've never been to Belize, but I've fished in Puerto Rico, Bahamas, and the Keys for bonefish/cuda/tarpon.

I'm headed down there in May and have been doing tons of research for my trip. From what I can tell, you can go through one of the expensive lodges that cater to flyfisherman (Turneffe Flats/Lodge: http://www.tflats.com/fishing.html , El Pescador: http://www.elpescador.com/ , ETC.) or you can get a local guide that isn't affiliated with these lodges. The only drawback from the lodges is that they want you to stay in their nice expensive rooms AND flyfish and a week could cost you $3000+. The reason I'm staying at Caulker is because I want my $$$ to go further. From what I can tell you can get a local guide for around $200/day and they can can do a great job of putting you on fish. The only drawback about the local guides is that they don't have access to flyshops and most don't carry their own gear. So, you'll have to bring everything that you need with you to Belize. Although, I think that El Pescador does have a small flyshop on their premises on Ambregris Caye.

For flylines, I'd get a Rio or SA WF flyline. They also have one's specifically designed for bonefish. if you have an extra spool, I'd bring it and rig it with a sinking tip just in case you see some low lying fish and need to get a fly down to them. (Just read an article in Saltwater Flyfishing mag. and the author suggest this).

With that being said, check out the following sites for additional flyfishing info. for Belize.
http://www.actionbelize.com/fly_fishing_equip.htm http://CayeCaulker.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000123.html http://www.cybercayecaulker.com/seagull_tours.htm

Everyone on this board and at the email links for fishing lodges, etc. seem to be really helpful in pointing folks in the right direction.

Tight lines to you.....

#215742 01/31/02 08:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Unfortunately one of our good fishing guides Rally Badillo succumbed to Cancer and passed yesterday. Much prayers for the family.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day