Re: island life #216588
09/08/02 02:32 PM
09/08/02 02:32 PM
Madison, WI, USA
M
memingwa Offline
memingwa  Offline
M
OK, "what's best" I can certainly admit that there is truth to your statement. Even though I am new to the island, I'm not foolish enough to believe that no one has ever done anything to improve the island life for those who live there. I can even admit that my ideas may not be right for CC. What I read on this board is that there are some things that need changing and there are some things that are working,and some that are working are in danger of falling by the wayside because of certain obstacles. So my remarks are coming from that information.

But don't just cut and run with your comments. Be specific. You are not registered, so no one knows who you are. Why is your message so cryptic? Are we supposed to figure out what things you classify as progress and what you consider ugly? And for those things that are working: how do you support them continuing? And for the ugly: what solutions have you found, or what do you propose?

I have been told before that I am a dreamer and that the ideas I have are simply the imaginings of an overly optimistic person. When I was young, such remarks did not stop me from trying. I discovered that I learned as much from the trying as I did from the actual accomplishment. And I am fortunate that many of my dreams actually happened, some for a short term, some are still going. Now that I am older, I am able to use the strength and wisdom I have gathered in my "tryings" to sustain me when some would say I am dreaming.

So please come back and give us the benefit of your tryings. Share your wisdom with us. We will welcome it. We may not all agree, but most of us are willing to consider your words.

Re: island life #216589
09/08/02 10:10 PM
09/08/02 10:10 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
A
I think the post saying specific projects are what is needed is on the right track.Coastal Zone is trying to form a big overall plan with a lot of input from many folks. Amanda French, the latest Peace Corps worker, just finished a posting here.FEMRACC is a group representing many groups that is charge of one Reserve.
-How about cleaning the streets without pointing any fingers?
-Community planting or gardening? 500 trees a year done properly could change the Caye into a lovely garden. I suspect I know where those trees could be donated for free.
-How about zoning? We are too small a village to have zoning under the laws of Belize. Those who live next the bars know how bad zoning is needed. This has caused some deep differences between island residents.
Another benefit to having residential only areas -your local customer base comes from there. Grassroots support could bring zoning as a Special Area Resolution since CC has already been named a Special Area.

Re: island life #216590
09/10/02 02:42 AM
09/10/02 02:42 AM
Madison, WI, USA
M
memingwa Offline
memingwa  Offline
M
Great post, keycocker! A wealth of info and specific suggestions. A great start and it's good to learn of some things that are going on now.

How do/did the locals feel about the Peace Corp worker? From the tone of your post, I gather she was accepted and helpful. Will CC get another PC worker? Does it want/need one? I've known a number of ex-Corps folks. All were committed and inteligent, with many positive attributes. More about working with than leading. Just another tool, several said.

The details you've given highlight some projects that can be joined; others that could be started. There must be other folks with the same interests, or with other suggestions.

keycocker's post is full of hope and visions and action, rather than negative discussions of what's not right. It's easy to be negative if one is uninformed. Some one smart said "knowledge is power."

Where would one go to get some donated vegetation? If all of us who visit plant even a few trees/other greenery while there, CC can be restored to before the last 2 hurricanes....don't ya think? And what a kick to return and see your plantings green and growing.

It's my understanding that no vegetation or seeds can be carried into the country. Is that correct?

Another suggestion for us visitors: find a project you support and give a few $'s toward the cause. How could we locate legit stuff to support?

thanks for changing the tone of the tune, keycocker!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
May
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 2,720 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,347
Posts488,071
Members19,872
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day