A
Hooray!

#216786 11/13/02 07:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Betito:

You blow a lot of wonderful hot air and I guess you believe that because it makes sense to you, that it makes sense to the rest of us.

Chairman Marin resigned on Nov. 1. It has been twelve days since the acting chairman took over.

1. What is your excuse for the delay now why this new council has not yet compiled an accurate record of the state of the village's finances? Fermin is blocking it? No one has thought of it, duh? You don't have the time?

2. Why has there not been a public meeting to formally announce to villagers that Chairman Marin has resigned, and what can be expected in the immediate future?

3. When are we the villagers going to be made aware of current projects left unfinished by Fermin, and any projected completion dates for these projects?

4. Who is in charge of the Bahia Puesta del Sol subdivision now?

5. Who do you believe should be held accountable should an independent audit reveal missing village funds? The entire village council for not having the cohones to do what is right? Are you going to be a leader and even demand that such an audit be done immediately?

6. Could you please explain to me why you led a village council / business association coalition to forcefully eradicate the small street vendors thereby effectively prohibiting them from their ability to earn a living, and how this would be in the best interest of the island? Can you please confirm to me that this was not done because of the special-interest lobby backing you? What are your views on street vending?

As I have said before, it is very easy to find excuses. The fact of the matter is that the most educated councillors are probably the least motivated, unless there is some "fame" or "power" that comes with addressing an issue.

I find it downright idiotic, if not moronic, that six councillors could not stand up to Fermin and demand accountability. If you believe that you are in the minority the past two years you have been on the council, what makes you think anything will be different if/when you become chairman? Do you believe the rest of the council members will automatically then bow down and agree to every one of your wishes?

The time to be a leader is BEFORE you are elected as leader. A leader is the person who has the internal strength to stand up against Goliath on behalf of what's right, simply because what's right is right.

Regarding your view for the future of Caye Caulker, I regret that you did not answer the question pointedly, but I do understand that that type of response is characteristic of a true politician (not to be confused with LEADER). I will repeat the question here for you in case you missed it previously:

"If you wish, work your magic and try to convince me why you would make a good candidate. What would you do for the island? What is your vision for the island? Where do you think we should go? How will we get there?

...waiting curiously..."

Go ahead, I dare you, list point by point your vision for Caye Caulker, where it should head, and how we will get there. Go ahead, Betito. Take the heat and list your views for the island. Don't blow the question off with hot air rhetoric.

I am still waiting...

#216787 11/13/02 08:36 PM
B
B
Da mee,
As I stated in my point in the begining and the end of my last post that I believe the discussion being held before your contribution was constructive criticism. You have taken it to the political level and I am not a career politician as you wish to make it sound. I have categorically stated that you know where I live and how to get a hold of me. Perhaps you can ask your questions in a village forum. The idea of a debate just enthuses me. I would be more than willing to share my points of view and perhaps you as well in this debate. From the mere fact that you have expressed these views I am sure you would be more than happy to to join. If that would happen there would be no passing the buck and it would show where our true ideals are for the public to see. Maybe then you can assist.

I also take this opportunity to mention to you that perhaps you should mention your views to the rest of the council as you have with me and have them respond. I am sure they would be more than happy to listen to your concerns as I have. Again I emphatically state that perhaps you should suscribe your name and then call me and we will talk about your concerns IN PERSON in whatever way you see it appropriate as I see it unfit for you to hide under an alias due to the very nature of the discussion especially on a message board not meant for this type of rhetoric.

P.S. Sorry for the long delay but I was in an all day meeting. Just got back from a high powered lunch in the city :-)

#216788 11/16/02 09:49 AM
J
J
It's nice to see a frank, candid and honest discussion. Sitting here in Washington, DC, I only wish this kind of open, transparent and honest discussion could take place here. I don't know who is right or wrong here, but it is refreshing to see and know honestly where people stand.

#216789 11/16/02 09:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
This is a response to Da Mee hoping she has laid off the personal attacks.
Town status can bring us more self government and more support from Central Government. They have moved to provide some of those benefits despite our village status in part because of the close relations the VC has had with the Area Rep.I hope the new Chairman sees there is value in keeping that rapport alive.

"...I have always been under the impression that it is the motives of those elected to power that count most on where the island heads....(Da Mee)"
We should always remember that there are only about three hundred adults active in business and public life on this island.Their actions are all we really have for a future and sweep away all Village Council or Central Gov. paper piles..
Remember when about ten gringos would clean the whole place with only a pack of kids and Mike Neals trailer? Or the same crowd with other help was organized by Tina to paint about fifty houses?
1. "build a nice embarkation / disembarkation point for water taxi passengers. All it would take would be a palapa at the tip of the main pier, and some benches, where people can rest in shade while they wait to take their boats. Wouldn't it also be nice to have signs directing these same passengers to the different loading areas for different boats..."
This a very good idea Da Mee has here.I think it would be most likely to succeed as a private move on the part of the Water Taxi Association. Village Council need only nod their heads in approval.
2. "..build a nice thatched shady area at the foot of the main pier where the cart porters can be shielded from the elements..."
Same for this idea. Let the cart drivers form their own workforce. Coco thatch and sticks can be free if they get permission from the landowners since these guys don't have much money. What do you think Allie?
4. "...locate someplace where a flea-market type atmosphere can be set up, or even small 8x8 shops can be constructed..."
Another good private initiative. Wasn't there a street restaurant named Poor Man's something in front of Giselle's at one time? This is an ideal spot in the heart of town. Wendy once told me that she would welcome having that kind of place around her business.
5. "...start and enourage a re-planting scheme, designed to convert CC into an island garden...."
I would be glad to donate at least a hundred trees a year.
7. "Ban heavy motorized equipment from Front Street"
Banning things creates an enforcement problem and runs against a long, long tradition here of always giving the finger to the gov.
Since there is only one dumptruck maybe the driver would volunteer to go around if we asked nicely.
8. "Severly limit the importation of motorized vehicles on the island."
This is such a crucial point that the VC has been doing it for years. The tide of allowed vehicles has been growing but they rust out and break down fast so nature is on our side.

"...Public meetings should be scheduled timely, with a published agenda before meetings, and a ballot paper prepared in advance where villagers can vote for or against the projects being tabled.
With any tabled matter, give a time frame, say ten minutes, and let people give their reasons why they are for or against a certain project. Once the ten minute limit is done, go on to the next tabled item and work your way down the agenda. At the end of the meeting, people will have printed ballots on which to vote for or against any projects, amendments, etc.... "
I like the idealism of this idea but projects that take years to plan and carry out might take more than ten minutes for the villagers to properly consider. Mario of the Iguana Reef suggests that we send live video on the cable of the meetings so many more can see the proceedings.
There are lots of types of meetings to video besides Village Council. Might need some editing though. Some of these meetings put me to sleep.

#216790 11/18/02 05:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
keycocker1 wrote:

4. "...locate someplace where a flea-market type atmosphere can be set up, or even small 8x8 shops can be constructed..."
Another good private initiative. Wasn't there a street restaurant named Poor Man's something in front of Giselle's at one time? This is an ideal spot in the heart of town. Wendy once told me that she would welcome having that kind of place around her business.

My comment:

Is there something wrong or inferior with being poor? If so, I don't seem to see it.

#216791 11/18/02 09:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Give me a break - I didn't name the guys restaurant. I just meant there was eatery there at one time and now it is empty. By that type of place I meant a street market. When I am in the States I frequent the flea markets and thrift stores. I grew up very poor and was very happy. Even now some years Lydie and I could qualfy for welfare assistance if we lived in the US or France.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day