Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Fellow messageboarders:

The Caye Caulker Elementary School needs your help!

The CCES is wanting to open a library for its schoolchildren. However, there is a severe shortage of books: namely, reference books (such as encyclopedias, science books, geography books, teacher's manuals, etc.), activity books such as those sold in the dollar stores in the U.S., with math, science, language activities for children (these would be used to provide extra-curricular school work for children), any type of reading materials for elementary school aged children, and any other types of books or materials that would assist both teachers and schools in enabling a better learning environment for the children.

In this respect, I am asking each messageboarder that lives in the U.S. (or elsewhere) to kindly visit your nearest thrift shop or local book store, purchase a box of relevant books, and kindly donate the books (together with the
shipping) to the Caye Caulker Elementary School Library Project.

Any donations are very much appreciated. You can contact me directly at [email protected]. Please mail the donated books to the following address:

Wendy Auxillou
Caye Caulker Elementary School Library Project
P.O. Box 51
Caye Caulker, Belize
Central America

I will pay to clear the books out of customs, and will deliver the books to the elementary school.

Please help to support a worthwhile project for the children of Caye Caulker.

My personal goal is to gather 10,000 relevant books. Please help if you can.

Thanks a bunch!

Wendy Auxillou

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Books for children are needed all over Belize, so if you find yourself in an area other than Caye Caulker then you could still
donate books to the local school.

There is no custom duty on books here in Belize, just write 'Books' on the custom form when shipping.

Thanks in advance.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hi Wendy,
I did this for the CC school right after the hurricane and arranged for boxes of stuff from my groups and people off the web. I worked with Ms. Heredia and the asst principal. I did one for Monkey River school last year and we took about 10 boxes from teachers. I will be glad to arrange this through my groups for next year, I think I will have at least one or two teacher groups. Last year, they each brought an old suitcase and between Karen, Shelley and I we stored it and got it down to Monkey River a couple months ago. I will talk to you about this when I am in CC next month. Also, you may want to post this to the Ambergris Caye website and Belize Forums. I got some good help from a general post also.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
If you pack books into big 18 gallon boxes with snap on lids -Rubbermaid is best $9 at Venture- you can send them Fedex Ground for less than US$15 a box to Hyde Shipping in Fla. They ship every Thurs arriving Mon. and charge about another US$15 a box to send them on to Belize City. This is much better for us than waiting for months and getting helpers to lug 50 lb suitcases. The best deal on Hyde is a group of six boxes for about US$85. The boxes hold a lot of books and are useful dry storage on their own at the school. If you want to try this I can help -my Email is [email protected]

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I just had a better idea. Ship books fedex ground to Hyde Shipping and I will pay the Miami to CC Elementary part myself. E mail me first please so some one will be there for Customs. [email protected]

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Keycocker's suggestions are excellent and the offer to help with freight from Miami is very welcomed. The school needs all the help it can get. It is a very worthwhile project for the children of our village. My one request would be that those that contact keycocker with donation offers please do me the favor to copy the correspondence to me as well at [email protected] to avoid a duplication of efforts, duplication of books, and to minimize confusion.

Cheers,
Wendy

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Wendy,

How about you and your sisters engage in a friendly challenge with keycocker and match the offer to pay freight. Every other box of books???

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
We have my Mom working on a few boxes from her church. There is a lot of unused childrens books out there. The trick is to hit the right garage sale,tell them the deal,and get great discount on a whole trunkful. There are a lot of remaindered books out there too on tables in stores.
Duplicate books no problem. Books checked out of elementary school libraries often don't come back.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hi Challenge:

I challenge YOU to have a friendly challenge with keycocker. How about paying for every other box? I am already doing a lot, and we need all the help we can get, monetarily and otherwise.

Cheers,
Wendy

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
keycocker, thanks a lot for all your help. I have one family that is set to contact you regarding sending a few rubbermaid containers of books. They have been sending books by snail mail, but I forwarded your suggestion to them. The last name of the family is Bunnell. You will probably hear from Mari-Kim.

Cheers,
Wendy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day